Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I recently traded my 16 ST1 for a 16 ST3 with 10k miles. I love it, worth the upgrade imo, but thanks to the cold up here in Rochester, my door stays latch stays open sometimes, only when I operated from inside. I rather fix this myself if its just a matter of opening up the door panel and lubricating the lock mechanism.

There's surprisingly not much I can find on the matter on here, just want to see if I'm on the right track or someone has gone through this before.

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the door latch recall been done on your new(er) car?
Or is it later build than the recall?
It's a early 16 model, so no recall on the door latches that I'm aware of.

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
It's most likely ice in the door mechanism; annoying but fairly common. Used to happen on my 2004 Focus, now I have a garage.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's most likely ice in the door mechanism; annoying but fairly common. Used to happen on my 2004 Focus, now I have a garage.
I figured that's what's going on, but the wierd thing is that it's been in storage for weeks and still doing it. It's not heated, but nice and dry. Oh well, I'll take the door apart in the Spring and grease up the mechanism then.

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
I figured that's what's going on, but the wierd thing is that it's been in storage for weeks and still doing it. It's not heated, but nice and dry. Oh well, I'll take the door apart in the Spring and grease up the mechanism then.
Is this the driver's door? I believe the recall was only for the rear doors...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this the driver's door? I believe the recall was only for the rear doors...
Yeah, I'm aware about the recall for the rear latch. Don't care at all about that lol

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Well there was a recall for the rear hatch door, and also a recall for I believe ALL the doors that can malfunction and come open randomly. This does not sound like the recall though. Sounds like a typical cold weather issue. Either go have it done free by Ford or pop your panel off and fix it, should be a nice and easy little job if you can find somewhere warm to do it lol

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
Yeah, I'm aware about the recall for the rear latch. Don't care at all about that lol
That's what I figured; was just asking because someone else had mentioned the recall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE

Went to the storage this afternoon to see if the door was still unlatched, and yes it was, even after two days. I decided to warm up the car and blast the heat to see that would do the trick. It did indeed, the cable was stuck open probably from the mechanism. I had to play with the handle inside of the car to get it loose when it warmed up. Like I said before, I'll grease the hell out of it in the Spring and all should be good.

Thanks everyone who replied with their input, much appreciated!!

Reactions: BCE22
1 - 11 of 11 Posts