Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyone's feelings on the drive up ramps? Safe?

Im a full time student currently and life in a small apartment. I don't want to go out and buy Floor Jack and Jack stands as I don't do enough to warrant them, and I own a set, just not with me currently. So I was thinking about going and buying a set of the drive on ramps.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have ramps, 3 floor jacks, trans jack and 4 jackstands... I use all of them for different situations.

Ramps are great for oil changes and things where you don't need to remove the wheels. Not that jack/stands is difficult, but ramps are super quick and easy, which is their big advantage IMO.

If you could only have 1.... I'd do jack/stands for sure, but sounds like you already own a set. I wouldn't hesitate to get some ramps. I would get the wider option/model, just for better support of a wide range of vehicles down the road.

·
Registered
91 Posts
LOL, I started a thread on this about a week ago. Got some opinions on ramps and ordered a set of Rhino Ramps. Another brand that got mention was Race Ramps. Personally I've got the whole set-up now. Ramps for fluid changes etc, and a hydraulic jack for other work. I'm going to order a set of the bolt on jacking rails as well. :)

Link to the other thread if you want to read through it

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/85025-car-ramps-anyone.html

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Race Ramps... yes pricey but one set of ramps and done. I have 56" so good for very low cars, 2 piece so ramp can be removed when working under the car. Very nice albeit expensive, think I paid ~125$

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have rhino ramps.. race ramps are too expensive for me. If you have a really really low car sure. But you can also put some 2x6s or similar in front of the rhino ramps to increase clearance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I was still a student and did not have much money, I bought a pair of cheapo ramps at Pep Boys. I don't remember the brand but I think they were Rhino. I bought them thinking they would make lifting my car easier because I had this cheapo 1 1/2 ton floor jack that was a PIA to use.

First time I used the ramps they were fine, but after that, the anti-skid material wore out and the ramps would slide whenever you tried to drive onto them. One time, the ramps slid unevenly and the right side of the car drove onto the ramp while the left ramp pushed forward before the wheel made contact. Since the ramps pushed unevenly, when the left side of the car was square on the ramp, the right side of the car was too far forward and fell off the ramp. The car fell on to the ramp and put a pinch in the rocker. I threw the ramps away after that and went back to my crappy floor jack and jack stands.

To be fair, I was using cheapo ramps and those Race Ramps look 20x the quality of the ramps I had. But money is tight when you are a student, unless you are trust fund baby, so those Race Ramps are probably out of your price range. Just be cautious using cheap ramps or anything that is cheap and is intended to keep 3000 lbs of metal from crushing your skull.

Personally, unless you have the funds for the Race Ramps, I would buy another pair of jack stands. At some point you will probably need to lift the entire car off the ground so you will need 2 pairs of jack stands any way. Car ramps are also big and bulky and will take up a lot of room if that is a consideration.

Getting a really nice floor jack also makes lifting the car worlds easier. I'm partial to aluminum floor jacks but they usually run around $300-$400.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts