Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST1 Oxford White, Gen2 GTX3076R Turbo
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been having an issue driving recently. When I go above 8 psi boost the car makes this buzzing sound from slightly toward the passenger side. The rpms come to a stand still and the car won't accelerate. It will hold speed just the engine won't climb. In a sense it feels like traction control is turning on but the slip light doesn't come on. If I turn off traction control my boost increases but it eventually does the same thing (around 15 psi). The sound is like broken gears rubbing.

A mechanic I talked to said it sounded like the splines on my drive/cv shaft broke. Looking for some sort of how to for removing the shaft. Any tips would work too just to point me in the right direction. I could not find anything online and have to wait a few days before I can get an alldata login so I thought I'd ask here as I'm not driving the car rn and have had to bike to work. Just don't want to do any damage. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,585 Posts
If there were an issue such as a stripped axle spline, RPMs would skyrocket and the car wouldnt accelerate.

I see you're big turbo. When was the last time spark plugs were changed or gap checked?

Did you happen to get a video of this issue?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plugs were checked last week when the buzzing first started. Ill try to get a video, it's raining rn but I can get one tmro or so.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the delay I took me a bit to replicate it. I finally got it and also pretty sure I figured out the issue in doing so.

I'll attach videos, but I am pretty confident my turbo is rubbing causing it to stall.

The problem with replicating the issue was I was giving it WOT to test when it actually happens at partial throttle. I'll have to see about a warranty or something haven't really looked at options yet also wanted to hear what others have to say.

Video isn't great. In person the buzzing sound that can be heard is more like a grinding/rubbing.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edit: it posted twice

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,585 Posts
Oh wow. So did the turbo compressor housing loosen up and rotate, causing the axle contact??

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wow. So did the turbo compressor housing loosen up and rotate, causing the axle contact??
Oh no, the axle is fine and untouched, the turbo is rubbing internally.

My hope is that the bearing broke causing the one of those pieces to get messed up when it spins. Otherwise it could be either the turbine or compressor blades are making contact with the housing. Really hope this isn't the case because then I should probably pull apart the engine and inspect the cylinders and piston heads.

I thought it was the drive shaft cause the mechanic said it was, but it turns out it is completely fine.

I'll be pulling the turbo in a few days and if it has visible damage I'll send some pictures. I don't think I'll take it apart if the damage is internal unless communications with ATP don't go well and I end up having to fix it myself.

Honestly this is kinda perfect timing as I took the week off work to completely redo my vinyl so the car will be stuck in my garage for a week anyway. Turbo will definitely take more then a week to resolve but I'd assume after getting it off there will be quite a bit of waiting. Just gives me more time to get my vinyl right.

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts
Oh i see, and that makes more sense now hearing the noise. Definitely dont drive it anymore. Youll know as soon as you check inside the turbo if there has been contact (and when you check shaft play).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts