Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find the specifics, so starting anew...

Anyone have any pictures of drilling out the top of the strut with a 3" hole saw to make camber adjustments without using the TB Performance strut bar as a template? I want to see pics of you guys that have done this with the factory strut bar still in place. Thanks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it seems to be uncharted waters, I'll jump in. Purchased a Mountune strut tower brace. I don't see why if the TB bar makes a good template, this one won't. We'll see. I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
nevermind my reply

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you use a good center punch, and start with a pilot bit, you should be able to drill with a hole saw accurately enough. It should be mentioned, however, that this is as near as you can get to an irreversible mod. Yes, you can weld in new strut towers but mah god you might as well just get a new car.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you are unfamiliar with the top of these strut towers. The top center already has a large hole, thus nothing to use a center punch on and the existing center hole will be too large for the drill bit in the hole saw to guide. Thus why people like using the strut tower bar as a template to prevent the hole saw from wandering until its gets started. I get what you're saying about drilling the hole, but overall it's a pretty low threat, proven mod. And with strut tower bars on the market that attach all around the outside of the newly drilled hole, stability is maintained.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like you are unfamiliar with the top of these strut towers. The top center already has a large hole, thus nothing to use a center punch on and the existing center hole will be too large for the drill bit in the hole saw to guide. Thus why people like using the strut tower bar as a template to prevent the hole saw from wandering until its gets started. I get what you're saying about drilling the hole, but overall it's a pretty low threat, proven mod. And with strut tower bars on the market that attach all around the outside of the newly drilled hole, stability is maintained.
Fair enough, and yeah, I haven't messed with the strut towers on these cars. Truth be told, I haven't really ****ed with the ST at all. I used to do terrible, unspeakable things to my old SHOs, but those were old and paid for. If, however, you do manage to screw up the drilling, you are still left with a car with an unusable front suspension. The risk may be low, but the hazard is quite high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts