Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new to the group and new to the ST community. I bought mine a few weeks back (2014 ST3). I have scoured the site looking to see if i could find some past threads on my issue but haven't had any luck. Heres the deal under lite braking i hear the rear pads grinding, but its not your typical in need new pads grinding sound. also when i let off the brake the sound continues for a short stent. The other time i can hear it is after i release the hand brake and take off.

I pulled one of the rear wheels off tonight when i got home to inspect. The pads are close to end of life and the rotors seem a little thin to me. They also had a lip worn into them top and bottom. The other thing is that if you rotate the hub there is a lot of run out in the rotor. Im going to go ahead and replace the rear pads and rotors, i feel like this should take care of it. Has anyone experienced anything similar? also who has replaced there rear pads due to wear and at how many miles? Mine is sitting right over 45k is that fairly typical for rear replacement?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hey guys, im new to the group and new to the ST community. I bought mine a few weeks back (2014 ST3). I have scoured the site looking to see if i could find some past threads on my issue but haven't had any luck. Heres the deal under lite braking i hear the rear pads grinding, but its not your typical in need new pads grinding sound. also when i let off the brake the sound continues for a short stent. The other time i can hear it is after i release the hand brake and take off.

I pulled one of the rear wheels off tonight when i got home to inspect. The pads are close to end of life and the rotors seem a little thin to me. They also had a lip worn into them top and bottom. The other thing is that if you rotate the hub there is a lot of run out in the rotor. Im going to go ahead and replace the rear pads and rotors, i feel like this should take care of it. Has anyone experienced anything similar? also who has replaced there rear pads due to wear and at how many miles? Mine is sitting right over 45k is that fairly typical for rear replacement?
That is really soon for the rear brakes. Our cars easily run upwards of 80k miles on the stock pads in a lot of people's cases without track usage or autocross. They're crazy long life brake pads if I do say so myself. If they're definitely in need of replacement I'd replace them and see if that fixes it, but you'd have to have driven around with your hand brake not the whole way off or something to kill them that fast. They hardly do any braking compared to the fronts.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome and congrats!
Previous owner could have been a heave brake user, or maybe even auto-x'd the ST a few time. If it's worn, it's worn.
Good luck

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is it both sides or just 1? If it's both I'd say yeah maybe previous owner drove with parking brake partially on more than once or auto-xd/drove very heavy. If it's one side then there's a good chance the caliper isn't pulling correctly, might need to replace that too!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I admit that I drive hard. I wore out my factory brakes at 21k miles, front and rear. So when someone says we should all get 80k miles out of the rears I am "sceptible." If you replace the rears make sure you check the fronts as well. In my experience, the fronts are rears wear out at about the same time and should be replaced at the same time. Especially at this juncture since you don't know what pads are on the front.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I admit that I drive hard. I wore out my factory brakes at 21k miles, front and rear. So when someone says we should all get 80k miles out of the rears I am "sceptible." If you replace the rears make sure you check the fronts as well. In my experience, the fronts are rears wear out at about the same time and should be replaced at the same time. Especially at this juncture since you don't know what pads are on the front.
I most absolutely did NOT say we should all get 80k miles lol you may have to reread what I said (see: "...in a lot of people's cases..") :)

Mine won't survive 80k, but I'm really hard on mine and brake a lot on my daily commute of 62 miles round trip. That said, I'm at 51,500 miles and my brake pads will easily survive 70-75k the way they look currently. I commonly brake from triple digits, but I'm not as hard on my brakes as the track guys who can't allow time for their engine/wind to slow them down. Ford put hella strong pads in these cars compared to previous cars I've been in

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I most absolutely did NOT say we should all get 80k miles lol you may have to reread what I said (see: "...in a lot of people's cases..") :)

Mine won't survive 80k, but I'm really hard on mine and brake a lot on my daily commute of 62 miles round trip. That said, I'm at 51,500 miles and my brake pads will easily survive 70-75k the way they look currently. I commonly brake from triple digits, but I'm not as hard on my brakes as the track guys who can't allow time for their engine/wind to slow them down. Ford put hella strong pads in these cars compared to previous cars I've been in
No hard feelings. Mine is a '13 and I feel like the early pads were softer than the current ones. I replaced the factory pads with Hawks at 21k and ran them to 71k, so the aftermarket performance pads definitely wear better than early factory. Still, 21k is a new record for me. I generally get about 50k from my pads. But I drive hard and drove even harder when I first got her. Because racecar.
And unlike other cars I have had, the rears on mine wore at about the same rate as the fronts. I am not quite sure why that is. And again your mileage may vary. Literally.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
No hard feelings. Mine is a '13 and I feel like the early pads were softer than the current ones. I replaced the factory pads with Hawks at 21k and ran them to 71k, so the aftermarket performance pads definitely wear better than early factory. Still, 21k is a new record for me. I generally get about 50k from my pads. But I drive hard and drove even harder when I first got her. Because racecar.
And unlike other cars I have had, the rears on mine wore at about the same rate as the fronts. I am not quite sure why that is. And again your mileage may vary. Literally.
They definitely feel different from 13' to late model 14' for sure. I drove my buddies black 13 and was like "did you put different brakes on this?" because they didn't feel even slightly similar. I disliked them big time.

No hard feelings ;) <3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts