Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on finally installing my downpipe this weekend. Here's my question... is there a specific torque spec. for the V-band clamp, or is it just a good & tight spec?

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
I'm planning on swapping my downpipe this weekend. Here's my question... is there a specific torque spec. for the V-band clamp, or is it just a good & tight spec?
I would imagine there is a spec, but I don't think your going to get a torque wrench in there. Get it tight, check for leaks and re-tighten after a day or two of driving.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
tight... really tight and no torque that I know of but you can just do a standard 13mm trq which is 33lbs max! (for a 12.9 bolt) I would consider starting at 26lbs and see what the does first. I would say I put them on more than 33lbs :furious: but not certain because I never use a trq wrench on that bolt

Agree with @ddfred makes sense to go back and check the bolt after driving for a while. I checked mine after everything I install.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting the V Band clamp back on was a PITA. I really hope that the downpipe is properly connected/seated with the turbo. It's so damn hard to tell just by looking at it. From what I can see, it appears that it's in there. I'm guessing that as I tightened the clamp, it kind of draws the two end together? Tightened the clamp as much as I could stand to. Was beginning to fear that if I went any further, I'd snap the clamp. Now I have to start removing the Mountune catback, and installing the AWE. All I know is that, had I known it would be this big of a job, I'd payed someone else to do it. It's a younger mans game, I guess I'm officially an old fart (lol). Jack stands & Rhino ramps just don't give as much clearance as I'd hoped.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ford certainly made it a pain in the ass to work on these cars.
Agreed!
I'd laugh if someone were to kick that CJ Pony Parts guy in the backside (lol). Because in their install videos he makes everything look so easy. "Just take this off, just unbolt that", slide that into place and your done". Yeah, right! :furious:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts