Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched over to using old fashioned Double Edge safety razors a couple months ago, and will never look back. It's easier on my skin and I get a better shave, and changed my morning routine from a painful chore to a relaxing experience.

Any other folks here shave the old fashioned way? If so, what soaps and razors do you use?

My collection:

1953 Gillette Tech
1956 Gillette Superspeed (blue)
1967 Schick Krona
1972 Gillette Black Beauty

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! You get my vote for weirdest thread on FST.org. :smile:
I'd be offended if someone called me normal.

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
I'm using a cheap a$$ Weishi razor made in China that I got off of Amazon for $14.00 shipped and Astra Superior Platinum blades made in Russia that were another $14.00 shipped for 100 blades. Way less razor burn and very close shave once I got used to the razor. It made sense to me after thinking about being raked by 3, 4 or 5 blades across my face; the razor burn was awful as I have fairly sensitive skin. I will probably invest in a better handle now that I have decided to stick with it. The Weishi came with 15 assorted blades and I ordered the Astras once I decided the double edge single blade was my new choice.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a cheap a$$ Weishi razor made in China that I got off of Amazon for $14.00 shipped and Astra Superior Platinum blades made in Russia that were another $14.00 shipped for 100 blades. Way less razor burn and very close shave once I got used to the razor. It made sense to me after thinking about being raked by 3, 4 or 5 blades across my face; the razor burn was awful as I have fairly sensitive skin. I will probably invest in a better handle now that I have decided to stick with it. The Weishi came with 15 assorted blades and I ordered the Astras once I decided the double edge single blade was my new choice.
Give Feather blades a try. They're wicked sharp.

I also found that not only are older razors a bit cheaper, but they also seem to give a better shave than some new ones. Then again, I also really enjoy antiques, and finding and using items that have a history to them.

The Black Beauty I purchased was used by the same guy for 42 years, he bought it new. It looks brand new, kinda neat.

blackbeauty.jpg

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
I have a merkur 34c here. I love it. Feather blades set the whole razor off. Don't know where my straight razor ran off to though.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Phillips electric for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
The razor came with Feather and Dorco...I like the Astras better, which is good since I bought 100!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Been shaving with a straight razor (well not really 1, have about 55 that are ready to use :) )for a few years now with the occasional DE shave. I use homemade shaving soap. I love it, and am glad that old fashioned wet shaving seems to be becoming more popular.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Congrats, I use a Parker double edge, a Parker Safety Straight, and a good old fashion Straight Razor. Been using them for about three years and cringe at the thought of going back to the crap they try and push in the stores.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hmmm, I might have to look into this. I switched to the disposable single use dual blade razors after using the 4 blade Gillettes for years and what a difference it made. I too have sensitive skin, especially since I do not shave daily. I usually just trim to a 1 day stubble to keep the baby face at bay hahaha but when I do shave, I get the worst razor burn using multi blade razors. Less so with the disposable ones but I still have some redness when I am done.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my opinion there is no reason people shouldn't be using a DE…it's just that the big razor companies have convinced most folks that their new razors with $$$ blades are somehow "better". A DE shaves better, is way cheaper to use and is not any harder to use (I don't think so anyway).

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The razor came with Feather and Dorco...I like the Astras better, which is good since I bought 100!
Cool. I haven't tried Astras, but I've tried Personna Blue, Gillette Platinum, and Feather blades. The Platinums are great, if you have an Art of Shaving near you, pick a small pack up to try. You can buy them on eBay from Israel for $15 for 50.

Been shaving with a straight razor (well not really 1, have about 55 that are ready to use :) )for a few years now with the occasional DE shave. I use homemade shaving soap. I love it, and am glad that old fashioned wet shaving seems to be becoming more popular.
I don't have the guts to try a straight razor, lol.

Congrats, I use a Parker double edge, a Parker Safety Straight, and a good old fashion Straight Razor. Been using them for about three years and cringe at the thought of going back to the crap they try and push in the stores.
I spent well over $200 a year in blades, which is a ripoff.

Hmmm, I might have to look into this. I switched to the disposable single use dual blade razors after using the 4 blade Gillettes for years and what a difference it made. I too have sensitive skin, especially since I do not shave daily. I usually just trim to a 1 day stubble to keep the baby face at bay hahaha but when I do shave, I get the worst razor burn using multi blade razors. Less so with the disposable ones but I still have some redness when I am done.
I have sensitive skin, so the razors I've picked have a more mild shave, and I'm trying to pair them with very sharp blades (like the Feathers). My neck feels much better and I have less nicks in the morning than I did with a normal cartridge razor - if any. I highly recommend giving it a try, I tried to keep the initial expense at a minimum until I knew it was going to work for me, now I have a small collection.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have been considering switching to one of these, as I also have sensitive skin and get a lot of razor burn on my neck. I also hate paying 30 bucks every few weeks for the Gillette Fusion blades. I just dont really know what I need to get started or where to get any of it from lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
I have been considering switching to one of these, as I also have sensitive skin and get a lot of razor burn on my neck. I also hate paying 30 bucks every few weeks for the Gillette Fusion blades. I just dont really know what I need to get started or where to get any of it from lol.
Pretty good selection and pricing on Amazon, especially for blades.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check out badgerandblade.com. It's a good forum that has quite a bit of information for folks getting started. My neck especially is very sensitive, and less aggressive razors seem to do the trick for me, plus there's less chance of taking a chunk of skin with you while you learn, lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
Check out badgerandblade.com. It's a good forum that has quite a bit of information for folks getting started. My neck especially is very sensitive, and less aggressive razors seem to do the trick for me, plus there's less chance of taking a chunk of skin with you while you learn, lol.
I was nicking myself fairly well at first...almost never now after a couple of months.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts