Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys,

Not sure if there's already a thread about this, and just destroy this thread if I'm wrong, BUT

In your experience, what have you done and what didn't you do that allowed you to continue using and abusing your Ford warranty?

List of possible first upgrades:
Upgraded front-mounted intercooler
Tuner/Remap
Catback exhaust
Turboback exhaust
Catless downpipe
Intake pipe
Lowering springs
Coilovers
And other stuff I'm not thinking of

Of the above stuff, what do you think? Pass or not pass?

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Its all in who you know really lol. And depends on how strict the dealer is.

Had my trans replaced twice, and a motor, all warranty. Didnt change it back to stock either.. 2867 with meth and all supporting mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm pretty sure tuning it will totally void the engine warranty. I was told by a service manager at a dealer that they can see that you've put a tune on it even after you revert it to the stock tune

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well they all technically can/will void warranties. All depends on the dealer, some are more mod friendly than others. If they are not, then this entire list will raise a red flag when you bring it in for anything power train or suspension.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
I'm pretty sure tuning it will totally void the engine warranty. I was told by a service manager at a dealer that they can see that you've put a tune on it even after you revert it to the stock tune

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Still won't void your warrenty. May lead to a warrenty claim being denied. They also have to prove it was the tune that caused the issue. On that note it's also hard to prove that the tune did not cause the issue.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dealerships don't have to prove anything if they don't want to. In order to make them "prove" anything, you will need a lawyer and it'll have to go through some sort of mediation/litigation with Ford. I love it when people make it seem like you can just walk into a dealership and tell them to prove your tune didn't blow the engine. They will just laugh at you and tell you to get your focus out of their garage unless you want to cough up some dough.

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
Dealerships don't have to prove anything if they don't want to. In order to make them "prove" anything, you will need a lawyer and it'll have to go through some sort of mediation/litigation with Ford. I love it when people make it seem like you can just walk into a dealership and tell them to prove your tune didn't blow the engine. They will just laugh at you and tell you to get your focus out of their garage unless you want to cough up some dough.

In that case they are breaking the law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Right that's why I always tell people to mod with mindset that you may have to replace things when they break. If you wanna play, expect to pay.

I'm aware of the Magnisson Moss Act. You'll still need a lawyer along with your copy of the act to get a dealer to prove anything. Also when they talk of aftermarket parts in the act, they're referring to equivalent replacement parts not performance replacement parts. It's not an act to protect street racers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Agreed, but Id rather stay stock just for the fact that ford cant say "OMG IT MESSED WITH THE PCM WARRANTY VOID". Technically anything with the intake or the way the engine runs can modify the way the PCM thinks, thus void. Is it bs... YES... but I enjoy my warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have RMM, FMIC, cat back, K&N filter, tuned and plugs. I don't have an issue getting service at my ford dealership. All depends who you know honestly and if they're mod friendly.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have RMM, FMIC, cat back, K&N filter, tuned and plugs. I don't have an issue getting service at my ford dealership. All depends who you know honestly and if they're mod friendly.
How is getting services from the dealer part of the warranty? Have you had them replace a engine? what service are you referring to? oil changes!? of course they will services your car, they are literally taking your money.

Please do explain because I don't understand how your post relates even a little.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What's up guys,

Not sure if there's already a thread about this, and just destroy this thread if I'm wrong, BUT

In your experience, what have you done and what didn't you do that allowed you to continue using and abusing your Ford warranty?

List of possible first upgrades:
Upgraded front-mounted intercoolerrr.
Tuner/Remap
Catback exhaust
Turboback exhaust
Catless downpipe
Intake pipe
Lowering springs
Coilovers
And other stuff I'm not thinking of

Of the above stuff, what do you think? Pass or not pass?
. You could do all of the above , none of the above should cause you a problem. Have to ask yourself why did I buy this car? My answer is because I like to mod perhaps Out some and be happy.??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts