Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Recently I had the opportunity to speak with a new member here DorkusPrints about his A pillar mounts for the Cobb Accessport. I have been in the market to find a more solid solution as my current suction cup mount has seen better days.

There are multiple solutions on the market but I have found them either sketchy AF or overpriced. Another big factor for me is country of origin. We need more domestically manufactured items along with support for local business.

So here is the breakdown if the products of @DorkusPrints .

The Standard:

This sits fairly close to where my original suction cup mount but closer toward the drivers seat. This is good as I'm not getting any younger and the AP text gets a bit crowded when monitoring all six available PID's. The fitment to the A-pillar is rock solid and it's not an exaggeration to say that it's a perfect fit. The mounts light weight and ease of attachment was also very impressive.

Originally I was concerned about the mount slipping but after the first time fitting it to my A-pillar those fears were alleviated entirely. I was constantly screwing with my window suction cup mount loosing grip and falling into my dash. It also prevented from using my sunshade which as we know can really suck in the summer months. The new mount will finally allow me to use the shade without any obstruction.

The Variant:

This mount is Identical to the standard version except that it clocks the AP lower (almost to the 6 o'clock position). I'm sending this mount to @TurboGT to evaluate as he prefers the lower orientation of this style mount as it doesn't add a visual obstruction to your line of sight through the windshield. I'm sure he'll chime in once he's had a bit to evaluate it.

The Option:

The AP comes with a tabbed magnetic cradle that hold it into place. This is nice if you have purchased it new, however if you picked up a used Accessport and it is missing, or if yours becomes damaged he also offers an optional non-magnetic clip on style mount as well.

Not unlike the AP mounts the fit of this mount is dead on and will allow for a precise fit.

The Breakdown:

I will do my very best to offer an opinion about @DorkusPrints work. As a matter of full disclosure I did personally purchase each one of his products for evaluation. He was nice enough to provide me a discount for the test, and he personally delivered them to me at a local Brewery (Braxton Brewing. Covington, KY). I ended up buying him a beer so it all balanced out.

Really nice guy, open to ideas and comments about the products he's working on. He's an RS owner that saw a need and decided to put his abilities to good use. During our conversation I believe he mentioned that the mounts are only on their first or second revision. This was surprising to me due to how well it fit the vehicle. Apparently he put the bulk of his time perfecting this aspect and I appreciate that attention to detail.

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly:

The light weight, solid construction & UV stability of ASA (acrylic styrene acrylonitrile) material will make for a long lasting mount. The only downside is when to first put this mount in your hands you can very clearly tell that it's a 3D printed item. This however shouldn't be a deal breaker at all and he's informed me that he is working to smooth the surface out. Personally I don't mind the look, but if you do there's ways of solving that on your own.

All the products only come in black but this is fine as some colors will not hold up as well as others regardless of their UV resistance. In the immortal words of Henry Ford "you can have any color you want, as long as its black!"

ASA is also very hard for a plastic so if you're taking it on and off constantly you run the risk of scratching you interior plastic but that would be true of about 90% of the mounts available on the market.

At first when I attempted to fit the Cobb magnetic cradle on the mount I thought that wasn't going to fit. My first inclination was to sand or file the mounting tabs but thought better of it. It will fit and will do do in a manner that keeps it firmly in place. The mount that he manufacturers slips right on with zero effort and wiggling. While it seats fully I found that when plugging the interface cable into the bottom it allowed the entire cradle to lift up off the mount. The tight fitment of the Cobb allowed the cradle to stay in place.

The last note about the printed cradle is that because it's a friction fit and not magnetic you will experience some light scratches on the AP plastic due to the hard nature of the ASA. This isn't a big deal but I wanted to point it out. It will however hold your expensive AP safely in place so pick your poison.

Anyway I will continue to evaluate this product and look forward the improvements he will make. I am also interested in the future products he will be offering to the community.

The DorkusPrints AP mounts can be purchased here by DorkusPrints

I will leave further comments and updates to the products to him.

As always, Stay Safe.

J

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Nice!
I like that variant mount to get the AP back up into line of sight and out of the corner of my windshield.
I'm gonna have to go check em out!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts
Great write -up! Looking forward to getting My hands on it!

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I’ve been using a 3d-printed AP Mount for over a year. It has a ball joint to which the Cobb cradle attaches, allowing the angle to be adjusted, and a wheel that screws down to lock it in place. Nice right? Except over time the ball joint has loosened where it’ll stay where you put it, but it moves around by hand despite the lock wheel being as tight as possible. So I’m interested in the Variant here, seems like the angle is set pretty good based on the pics, let us know @TurboGT!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The last note about the printed cradle is that because it's a friction fit and not magnetic you will experience some light scratches on the AP plastic due to the hard nature of the ASA. This isn't a big deal but I wanted to point it out. It will however hold your expensive AP safely in place so pick your poison.
This was my initial feedback for him as well. I noticed when I first attempted to fit it, some small scratches happening. I stopped and took a min to just lightly sand off the sharp corners. Seemed to have helped when I fitted it for good.

I've been running it for a week now and am happy. I opted for the variant to put it lower. No complaints, happy to support a fellow focus owner.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts
I recieved the Variant mount and Installed it Thursday, finally got a chance To drive it to work today- i love the mount. It sits exactly where I'd want a left-side mount to sit. It's in-line with the A-pillar so theres no addition to the blindspot here. Also, because it sits under the pillar, it is shielded from overhead sun reflecting off the screen and blinding you midday to early afternoon. I would absolutely Buy this mount.

Side note which has been shared to dorkusprints: i own an early version of the AP3 (it says "accessport" across the top instead of "cobb") and the magnetic mount had some interference With the 2 tabs on the mount. I had to trim plastic Down to fit properly. I'd imagine he will make provisions For this in future models.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I got one of the Standard mounts the other day. I spent some time sanding it so it looks a bit more finished, but it certainly is a solidly printed piece. Hopefully I can find 5 minutes to install it tonight after work. I've been running another one that I got off of Etsy last year from a semi-local guy in New Hampshire; it's much sleeker design with some adjustability, but it has a bit more "bounce" than I like.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
I got one of the Standard mounts the other day. I spent some time sanding it so it looks a bit more finished, but it certainly is a solidly printed piece. Hopefully I can find 5 minutes to install it tonight after work. I've been running another one that I got off of Etsy last year from a semi-local guy in New Hampshire; it's much sleeker design with some adjustability, but it has a bit more "bounce" than I like.
This thing is rock solid.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
This thing is rock solid.
It does not move at all while I am driving. I did notice when I went to change a monitor, I was pressing buttons (aka pushing it towards the front of the car) and was able to pop the mount off the A pillar. No clue if it was just me not having it properly installed or if you press on it with the right angles (pretty much pressing perpendicular to it's mounting points,) it pops it off the pillar.

Not so much a complaint or a flaw but just the nature of how it mounts. Again, works perfect when using it as a stand and I have no intent to stop using it. I will just be mindful when pressing buttons or just hold the AP in my hand. I was really pressing on it to cycle to the right gauge. It was fine with me pressing a couple times to start/stop a log.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I finally got to drive around a bit with mine. Definitely a very solid mount, with no vibration. I did have to do some sanding to allow my older style AP cradle to slide onto the tabs on the mount, then I gave the mount a coat of satin black to give it a more "finished" appearance after all of the sanding. If I have one complaint, other than the work that I did to dial-in the appearance/finish, it's that it angles the AP up a bit more than I'd like. "Dorkus" must me a tall guy

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST / Stratified Tune
70 Posts
The only downside is when to first put this mount in your hands you can very clearly tell that it's a 3D printed item. This however shouldn't be a deal breaker at all and he's informed me that he is working to smooth the surface out. Personally I don't mind the look, but if you do there's ways of solving that on your own.
Any word on this?
I'd love to buy one but I think the choppy 3D printed look isn't the best, and I'm not interested in sanding it myself.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I agree. I couldn't live with how unfinished it looks out of the box. Thirty minutes spent sanding this and easing the edges works wonders for it's feel and overall appearance. A quick shot of satin black and it looks great.

Reactions: Cory

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I was able to take a longer drive yesterday to further evaluate the "Standard" mount. It turns out that the angle works fine for me. I was worried that there would be unwanted glare off of the AP screen, but it was fine. I ordered one of his "Variant" mounts last night and I'll give that a whirl once I get the feel and appearance dialed-in to my standards.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
My "Variant" arrived on Friday. I got it smoothed-out, a couple of coats of Satin black are going on today, then install and evaluation.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Follow up on the Variant.
I wasn't 100% sure that I'd like the positioning of this one, but it works great for me. Fitment is excellent. I did the same finishing work on this that I did on the Standard. Sanded, eased the sharp corners, then coated with Rustoleum aerosol bed liner; this stuff gives an awesome, finely textured finish that looks great. I recommend either of these, as long as you don't mind doing a bit of finishing work to make it look great. If appearance isn't as important, just slap either one on and go.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Update to the thread, just wanted to give @DorkusPrints a shoutout for great customer service.

The other day i had the mount fall off. It was hot and sunny, which it has been all summer, nothing new there. I checked by squeezing, and the mount was still very ridgid despite the heat, the issue was my A pillar trim had warped just enough to no longer allow the mount to bite well on it. I shared the information with him, just for sake of product feedback. I was fully intending to go through more permanent routes to attach this mount to my A pillar.

He immediately shipped me an updated version, which i installed today. Looks to have tightened the radius and bit and formed a larger engagement tooth up by the windshield, which snapped in place very snug. Im sure this wont go anywhere.

(Updated version in back, old version closest to camera)

Motor vehicle White Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

1 - 20 of 23 Posts