Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I do not recommended disconnecting the center speaker. I had mine disconnected for about 3 months and in that time I noticed my right front door speaker would clip pretty bad at higher volume and certain frequencies. So this week I decided to plug the speaker back on and since I have not noticed the clipping. It may just be my car but in all honesty for the very little difference in sound between plugged and unplugged I'd just leave it plugged in, but to each there own. Cheers?

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
I completely removed my center speaker within two days of purchasing the car. I haven't missed it one bit and haven't noticed any problems with my front speakers.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
This is a complicated subject that nobody has really clarified in my opinion.

OP could be right, as the center is tied into the front speakers if I remember right. Could result in less opedence in the circuit results in more power into remaining front speaker potentially too much power causing clipping.

Or my other concern is the thread about 2014 + sony amps needing resistors when a load is removed.

But noone has ever been able to confirm/deny these concerns. I would like to remove the centre channel but only if I am convinced it is absolutely harmless.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is a complicated subject that nobody has really clarified in my opinion.

OP could be right, as the center is tied into the front speakers if I remember right. Could result in less opedence in the circuit results in more power into remaining front speaker potentially too much power causing clipping.

Or my other concern is the thread about 2014 + sony amps needing resistors when a load is removed.

But noone has ever been able to confirm/deny these concerns. I would like to remove the centre channel but only if I am convinced it is absolutely harmless.
Your kind of on the right track there...I have not yet opened up my center speaker area, but when i do I will measure the impedance (ohms) of the speaker disconnected and connected. That will tell me if the center speaker is wired in series with the door speakers, or at least one side changing the impedance of the doors when disconnected. Other things that could cause clipping are if there are any filters installed in line that might effect the frequencies going to the doors. I have a feeling that filters are probably a far fetched idea in a system like that, but changing the impedance to the doors might over time if you really push the music hurt the coils and suspension if your over driving them.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
If wired in series, the door speaker would no longer work when the center was disconnected. Also, if parallel, the overall impedance seen by the amp will only go up by disconnecting the center speaker.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
If wired in series, the door speaker would no longer work when the center was disconnected. Also, if parallel, the overall impedance seen by the amp will only go up by disconnecting the center speaker.
I really appreciate your response, it has taken me a good step further to understanding this.

You are right it is definitely not wired in series. Therefore it has to be parallel? But it seems backwards that removing a load would increase impedance. But things are backwards often like frozen water expanding. If you are feeling generous I would appreciate elaboration.

Recently 1LoudST explained to me why 10 ohms 10 watts is commonly used for resistor to replicate a removed speaker. His mains points were higher the ohms the cooler the amp runs & as the impedance increases wattage out of amp decreases. 10 ohms is supposedly safe level of resistance for our amp & it allows for low wattage resistor which is conveniently cheaper.

If I understand things correctly the side effect of removing the centre channel is that impedance goes up, this also means less watts are sent to remaining speakers. How many less watts is probably the next question but that is the ultimately the relevant side effect.

More convinced to remove my centre speaker, but not entirely. I appreciate the discussion.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I really appreciate your response, it has taken me a good step further to understanding this.

You are right it is definitely not wired in series. Therefore it has to be parallel? But it seems backwards that removing a load would increase impedance. But things are backwards often like frozen water expanding. If you are feeling generous I would appreciate elaboration.

Recently 1LoudST explained to me why 10 ohms 10 watts is commonly used for resistor to replicate a removed speaker. His mains points were higher the ohms the cooler the amp runs & as the impedance increases wattage out of amp decreases. 10 ohms is supposedly safe level of resistance for our amp & it allows for low wattage resistor which is conveniently cheaper.

If I understand things correctly the side effect of removing the centre channel is that impedance goes up, this also means less watts are sent to remaining speakers. How many less watts is probably the next question but that is the ultimately the relevant side effect.

More convinced to remove my centre speaker, but not entirely. I appreciate the discussion.
Impedance is the opposition to current flow. Look at it like this. Your voltage is like water pressure, your current is like water flow, and you resistance (impedance in this case) is like water valves. If you have a hose that splits into two open water valves (two speakers in parallel) the flow is max. When you close one of the valves, the total water flow (current) is less. By closing a valve, you have increased your impedance to water flow. In series, you have 2 valves in a row. By closing one valve, you have stopped the water flow altogether.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2017, very NOT happy with the stereo 10 speaker sony "whatever" ... :popped out:

I have read almost 200 pages of stereo questions ..install suggestion and builds. Well last week when it was 115f outside I walked out to my car and removed the center pod cluster with almost no effort. un plugged the center speaker .. and wow it made a difference. The stock speakers and amp still suck but 20% more enjoyable IMO :music:

I am waiting for the DSR1 .. so I can plug and play some new goodies. 1LoudSt has a lot of great post about audio. BTW @1LoudST once that gets released I am bugging you for install help.

Peace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.