Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST3 (Stock) 184500kms/114000miles
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I everyone, I have an early model 2013 Focus ST. Just curious Do the 2013 FOSTs have an oil pan baffle from the factory?

I heard later in the FL STs that they do not have oil pan baffles, but the 2013s and some 14s do. If so do the OEM oil pan baffles useful to prevent oil starvation? Are oil pan baffles important in an Auto x situation if my car is not equipped with one?

2013 Focus ST 190k kms/118k miles Bone Stock

Thanks

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Are oil pan baffles important in an Auto x situation, should I get one installed?
You can do this kit:

You’ll notice increased vibrations, and this may do something for your autox category.

@freakin_elrod does a lot of auto cross and would be better suited to answer this question

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You can do this kit:

You’ll notice increased vibrations, and this may do something for your autox category.

@freakin_elrod does a lot of auto cross and would be better suited to answer this question
While there are some periods of high G sustained situations in autocross, even on the grippiest 200 tw tire and proper suspension, it isn't necessary. Now if you are playing at the tip of the spear in competition on Hoosiers and full aero, then I might consider such an upgrade ( keep in mind there isn't 1 FoST that fits this description that is competitive nationally btw).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While there are some periods of high G sustained situations in autocross, even on the grippiest 200 tw tire and proper suspension, it isn't necessary. Now if you are playing at the tip of the spear in competition on Hoosiers and full aero, then I might consider such an upgrade ( keep in mind there isn't 1 FoST that fits this description that is competitive nationally btw).
OK so I should be safe just to run without, I'm in entry-level E class so I'm not going to hard. But on stock suspension and 500 tw tires. I just don't want to come into any oil starv. I thought earlier 13 Focus sts had some baffles in the oil pan though.

·
Super Moderator
12,722 Posts
OK so I should be safe just to run without, I'm in entry-level E class so I'm not going to hard. But on stock suspension and 500 tw tires. I just don't want to come into any oil starv. I thought earlier 13 Focus sts had some baffles in the oil pan though.
The balance shaft assembly is the baffle; you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't want to end up like ej lol.....
The FoST Ecoboost is nothing like the EJ. I wouldn't even use those two in the same sentence with regards to reliability.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Vendor
447 Posts
There's "baffles" in all the ST oil pans from the factory. It's not much, just a few small plates, but it does a decent enough job. The balance shaft also sits in the pan a bit and does prevent some sloshing.

I think some of the earlier cars either had an extra horizontal plate, or just had a few more bosses with threads vs the later cars.

I run 275w 200tw tires and I monitor actual oil pressure. I haven't seen any pressure issues on track.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's "baffles" in all the ST oil pans from the factory. It's not much, just a few small plates, but it does a decent enough job. The balance shaft also sits in the pan a bit and does prevent some sloshing.

I think some of the earlier cars either had an extra horizontal plate, or just had a few more bosses with threads vs the later cars.

I run 275w 200tw tires and I monitor actual oil pressure. I haven't seen any pressure issues on track.
How can I monitor actual oil pressure? I have torque pro that I use on my phone to look at AFR, IATs, and Temps.

·
Vendor
447 Posts
How can I monitor actual oil pressure? I have torque pro that I use on my phone to look at AFR, IATs, and Temps.
You'll need a physical probe/sensor in the oil system. We do offer a pretty basic kit that simply T's into where the OE oil dummy light sensor threads into the oil filter housing. Oil Pressure Sensor Adapter | Damond Motorsports

I'm running an actual gauge with a temperature probe/sensor within our soon to be released oil cooler adapter.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
They gave us jackets lol
Local event I'm assuming? I don't recall a FoST winning at nationals in STH in 2019 and the SCCA was giving out plaques for class winners at the tours and pro solos in 2019.

Jackets are cool. At least they are useful. You can't wear a plaque. Although I did get something useful from the SCCA for winning in 2018 at a national event, but not as cool as a jacket....

Liquid Bottle Cosmetics Fluid Drink

Reactions: sttwoton

·
Registered
245 Posts
You can do this kit:

Thanks for the post - have read about this "balance shaft delete business" and enjoyed the read...

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,385 Posts
Shame they don’t give prizes for, driving to work and back and parking in the garage, I’d be flooded with prizes. 😆
I had one job I could tell how fast I drove and/or how bad traffic was if I got to home/work before/after Achilles Last Stand was over 🤣

1 - 19 of 19 Posts