Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my ST to the dealership because I thought my horn should have 2 tones to it, and it sounds wimpy with only one. They said that the 18 models only have the one tone. Can anyone verify if this is correct?

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
My 2018 only had one horn instead of the reported dual horns on previous models. I found this out installing Hella super tones. I spent a long time looking for that second horn.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can verify I saw TWO horns on my 2016, when the front bumper was off. One on each side of the intercooler under the crash bar.
It would not surprise me if one was high pitch and one was low pitch. Hard to tell when sounding together, but I am satisfied with the volume and tone of the horns...

Edit: Ha, I also misread.... Sounds like '18s are different!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 2018 has a few cut corners in general. I have a 2018 ST3. There is only one horn, as opposed to 2 on the 15-17s.

Some other things I've noticed are no LEDs in the door handle/pocket, only one light in the hatch area.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My 2013 has two horns. Mine are mounted on a common bracket on the passenger's side front corner of the crash bar (just behind the right side fog light). I gather on later cars, the location was moved also.

·
Registered
165 Posts
any advice on wiring two horns to a 1 horn system? Splice a second wire or are the hella horns tied to 1 harness?
No harness, you just wire them up to terminals like regular speakers. You can use one factory horn wire and split.

+1 to hella horns. I went with Sharp Tones instead of Super Tones for a little lower pitch sound

·
Registered
34 Posts
No harness, you just wire them up to terminals like regular speakers. You can use one factory horn wire and split.

+1 to hella horns. I went with Sharp Tones instead of Super Tones for a little lower pitch sound
Hhmmm just realized that hella makes different types of horns/sound, back to the comparison videos and sound clips for me I guess.

·
Registered
78 Posts
any advice on wiring two horns to a 1 horn system? Splice a second wire or are the hella horns tied to 1 harness?
I made a harness and connected it to the factory harness, i am upgrading my intercooler soon and i can take a picture when i have the bumper off again, i thought i had a picture already.

I think the yellow ones sound better, BUT, I’ve never heard the red ones in person.
They are LOUD, I have to be mindful when locking my car with the key fob when there are random people walking past the front of my car. :ROFLMAO:

Any special bracket to get them to line up or?
I used the supplied brackets and drilled a couple of holes in the crash bar, then i bent up a couple metal tabs on the crash bar behind the horn to help support it as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are LOUD, I have to be mindful when locking my car with the key fob when there are random people walking past the front of my car. :ROFLMAO:
Just the kind I need, most drivers in my area need to be honked at loudly in order to get their attention. lol

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Any special bracket to get them to line up or?
Using one of the stock horn brackets to one of the crash bar tabs bent upwards, had to offset the outer one back to fit behind the grill, but in retrospect I’m gonna need to swing the OEM bracket to the right to fit a toe hook:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts