Votes: 6 33.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think?

Does modding shorten the life of your car due to more stress/wear?

Does modding make no difference on the life of your car with proper maintenance?

Does modding improve the life of your car and make it run better?

Talking bolt on mods here mainly.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
^^WHS. Completely dependent on what exactly you do. More important than mods are how you drive/maintain your car. Generally if you are building/tuning you are probably going to be pushing the cars limit's more on average so I would have to say it mostly decreases the life. That being said, if you just did intake/exhaust, FMIC, short shifter and don't drive like a maniac you might actually increase the life because you haven't turned up boost or played with timing etc to push your car harder, and there are several mods that can be done that will keep your car operating at lower temps and such. Difficult question to answer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^WHS. Completely dependent on what exactly you do. More important than mods are how you drive/maintain your car. Generally if you are building/tuning you are probably going to be pushing the cars limit's more on average so I would have to say it mostly decreases the life. That being said, if you just did intake/exhaust, FMIC, short shifter and don't drive like a maniac you might actually increase the life because you haven't turned up boost or played with timing etc to push your car harder, and there are several mods that can be done that will keep your car operating at lower temps and such. Difficult question to answer.
I agree with it being a difficult question, theoretically speaking you could say a fully bolted car could last shorter because typically people with fully bolted cars drive them harder...but at the same time you could say they last longer because it might run more efficiently. From my personal experience and speaking generally, I haven't seen many bolted cars that lasted as long as a stock one would. Could just be my area/town too...people here are hard on cars because we have a lot of kids with parents money. That's why I asked it, to see how others feel about it. Has me pretty interested.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Id be interested in how to lower temps, but i live in vegas so summers are bleh

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Intake/FMIC would both technically make the car cooler wouldn't they? Maybe not intake as much as FMIC, but heck even running the best coolant would technically be some kind of improvement.

And there's the snorkels we have available, which would improve the intake temps.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got two stickers on my back window and a license plate frame; I'm hoping for no adverse effects.
With that much horsepower that HAS to damage something...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I agree with it being a difficult question, theoretically speaking you could say a fully bolted car could last shorter because typically people with fully bolted cars drive them harder...but at the same time you could say they last longer because it might run more efficiently. From my personal experience and speaking generally, I haven't seen many bolted cars that lasted as long as a stock one would. Could just be my area/town too...people here are hard on cars because we have a lot of kids with parents money. That's why I asked it, to see how others feel about it. Has me pretty interested.
That's exactly right. If you did all those things and drove like a granny it shouldn't have any negative effects. Likewise, if you had a stock ST and drove like a jackass every day you would probably wear things out faster than normal.

FMIC is really the main thing. Intake can increase airflow a little bit, but it's not going to do much as far as keeping the car cooler. The stock airbox is actually pretty efficient so other than replacing the paper cone filter with a K&N or Green filter there's not much that needs to be done, at least nothing that's going to be particularly noticeable. The only other thing to help with engine temps would be an oil cooler, which would really only be necessary for someone tracking their car, where temps really start to rise far beyond the norm.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's exactly right. If you did all those things and drove like a granny it shouldn't have any negative effects. Likewise, if you had a stock ST and drove like a jackass every day you would probably wear things out faster than normal.

FMIC is really the main thing. Intake can increase airflow a little bit, but it's not going to do much as far as keeping the car cooler. The stock airbox is actually pretty efficient so other than replacing the paper cone filter with a K&N or Green filter there's not much that needs to be done, at least nothing that's going to be particularly noticeable. The only other thing to help with engine temps would be an oil cooler, which would really only be necessary for someone tracking their car, where temps really start to rise far beyond the norm.
And although Vegas gets HOT HOT, it doesn't get nearly as hot as a tracked car..so this is one of those "extreme" kind of things you could do that might not show much gain.

·
Registered
353 Posts
And although Vegas gets HOT HOT, it doesn't get nearly as hot as a tracked car..so this is one of those "extreme" kind of things you could do that might not show much gain.
I do plan on tracking it soon hopefully. just dont wanna burn anything out.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do plan on tracking it soon hopefully. just dont wanna burn anything out.
In that case, there's a LOT of stuff you "should" do to your car to keep it healthy. Tracking is very harsh for your car...which you are probably aware of by now. So unfortunately it's out of my budget for any future plans..so I stick to AutoX lol. I don't have the money for the best brake fluid/lines/components/cooling plus FMIC and tires and oil and all that track stuff.

·
Registered
353 Posts
In that case, there's a LOT of stuff you "should" do to your car to keep it healthy. Tracking is very harsh for your car...which you are probably aware of by now. So unfortunately it's out of my budget for any future plans..so I stick to AutoX lol. I don't have the money for the best brake fluid/lines/components/cooling plus FMIC and tires and oil and all that track stuff.
I hear that xD

·
Registered
538 Posts
As for lower Temps, don't forget a lower temp thermostat and having your fan kick on sooner with your tune. Open up your grille for more airflow, fmic, oil cooler. My oil capacity is now around 8qts- I forget the exact amount. More oil should also help to dissipate Temps slightly. And I vented my hood which let's a ton of heat out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts