Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2014 ST2. My gas hole has a Flex Fuel ring around it, but I don't trust it. Does anyone know if Ford built a Flex Fuel Focus ST? I can't find anything that verifies this other than the interchangeable ring.

·
Registered
420 Posts
None of the Ecoboost engines are capable of running E85 from the factory.

If there is a yellow ring around the filler neck, it's either mis-built or someone put it there.

Reactions: StaticVOiDance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to know. Based off some Googling I didn't think it was possible. I wish I knew why it's there. It's a rather strange anomaly.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If I were to take a guess, and I don't know if you know the history of the vehicle, but maybe the previous owner was tuned for ethanol?

Do you have a picture of it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a way to know if it has been tuned? I've been paranoid ever since buying a Subaru with a very bad undisclosed ECU flash. It was a pain to diagnose the resulting problems.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is there a way to know if it has been tuned? I've been paranoid ever since buying a Subaru with a very bad undisclosed ECU flash. It was a pain to diagnose the resulting problems.
As far as I know, there is no 100% way of knowing if it is tuned or not. Other than having the tuner itself.

You can have the dealer perform what is called a key off PCM force flash.

Basically the dealer will start a session with the scan tool with the key off, since the key is off the scan tool will not recognize the vehicle. This forces you to input the VIN manually and once the scan tool recognizes the VIN, it will force flash the PCM automatically to whatever calibration it was given at the factory. There is a few more steps than that, but you get the idea. Sometimes this will bring the PCM to the latest calibration, sometimes it has to be updated manually.

Performing a normal update to the PCM will most likely not clear out any previous aftermarket calibration.

Reactions: StaticVOiDance

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Not many ways of knowing...maybe a giveaway would be to get up into 4th gear and do a WOT pull. See where your boost pressure spikes to. If it gets to 20-21 max and quickly falls to and holds at 18 or so then your boost pressure wasn't raised (Which does NOT mean it might not still be tuned because it still could be). If it spikes to like 22-23 psi and holds relatively close to that number the whole pull, then it is most likely tuned since the car can't do that much boost stock.

Aside from giveaways like that there isn't many ways to tell if it's tuned.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just imagine the ultimate troll before selling his car putting this on. (total **** move tho) I have seen on different car plat forms where people put E85 in their car and completely ruin their engines! Glad to see you did not go fill her up with corn and ruin the car!! :big smile:

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I just imagine the ultimate troll before selling his car putting this on. (total **** move tho) I have seen on different car plat forms where people put E85 in their car and completely ruin their engines! Glad to see you did not go fill her up with corn and ruin the car!! :big smile:
Yeah, I'd be pissed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
someone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't an E85 vehicle need different lines and different pump seals to tolerate the alcohol levels? Couldn't you check out what kind of soft lines are there and see if they are compatible with E85 maybe the previous owner converted it somehow.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
someone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't an E85 vehicle need different lines and different pump seals to tolerate the alcohol levels? Couldn't you check out what kind of soft lines are there and see if they are compatible with E85 maybe the previous owner converted it somehow.
The ST has the same exact fuel system as the regular flex fuel focus up to the HPFP. It is E85 compatible. The part #s all interchange.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Our ECU isn't tuned to run it. This is why we can get E85 tunes. On the stock tune it's a definite no-no.

·
Registered
393 Posts
For someone that drives a whole lot and how much cheaper E85 is would you say that it's worth getting a tune to run it for road trips. What does the mileage end up looking like for cars when using it

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
For someone that drives a whole lot and how much cheaper E85 is would you say that it's worth getting a tune to run it for road trips. What does the mileage end up looking like for cars when using it
No. Terrible MPG lol.
@Duece McCracken informed me of that

Edit: The power gain you get is HUGE though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hmm when I get my custom Tunes done after the intercooler install maybe all plan one of the files to be an E85 tune. I'm definitely wanting to hit up Beech Bend in Kentucky a lot this summer.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The ST has the same exact fuel system as the regular flex fuel focus up to the HPFP. It is E85 compatible. The part #s all interchange.
our lpfp is the same as the flex fuel focus?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts