Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldnt get much info when I was there but does anyone have information on what the focus st used at STOA had as far as upgrades done? The obvious things like roll cage, Wilwood handbrake, C and R radiator, and Borla exhaust you could tell. Im curious if they had been tuned at all, what suspension upgrades, clutch, etc..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I heard they had cpe intercoolers but I cant confirm that

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I peeked into the grille area. They look to have the intercooler shrouded up and possibly angled versus sitting vertically to allow a greater path into the radiator. Little details like, they appeared to be tuned so the traction control is disabled with ignition on. Its just these little details I am curious to know what they had done. Typically at drivers schools they openly tell you exactly what parts and mods are on the car your driving, so my ocd is kicking in not knowing.

The shrouding they have setup is really what is interesting and thats really what I want to look to replicate.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I asked when I was there, was told besides the exhaust, roll cages and brakes they were stock. I am sure there are some small changes besides that but that's all the instructors told us about. The fiestas don't even have different exhausts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was there and asked. they have no other modifications other than the cage, hydraulic rear brakes, FRPP exhaust and upgraded intercooler. Probably upgraded fluids too to endure the beating they take on the track.

EDIT: after re reading your OP. Stock tune and stock suspension components. I remember specifically asking if they were tuned.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For sure they had no cats, The Focus's had Borla exhausts. They also felt like they could of had an upgraded motor mount and some shortened shifter setup. They had upgraded pads, maybe hawk hp plus? The fiestas to me seemed like those could have been pretty much stock though.

I hope this thread doesnt come across as bashing. When I went there I also thought it would be a great opportunity to listen to a borla exhaust on a focus, for example. I really liked the balance and feel of those cars and they didnt really seem to have over heating issues. Seems like they did a good job building a fun car and I want to copy some of that setup on mine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Man, I thought the exhaust sounded like a Honda.. terrible. That said while we were there they told us they removed the cat (straight through DP) due to the altitude. Several of the cars had brake kits on them as well. The intercooler is certainly not stock.... I also thought we were making more than 15lbs of boost.... but that is the butt dyno talking.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that they had an aftermarket rear swaybar. I know from experience that the oem rear bar exhibits a nasty snap over steer condition, due to the binding. I felt none of that with those cars.

·
Registered
197 Posts
They told me that they had issues with the brake cooling, so they removed the fog lights and ducted air to the front brakes. They said that the brakes on the Focuses were upgraded a bit, and that all the cars there use Castrol SRF brake fluid. They said that they were having heat problems with the high altitude and the high temps, so they swapped to the Ford Racing exhaust. It is made by Borla, but different (tips, at least).
The Fiestas just have the Castrol SRF, safety stuff, hydraulic rear brake kit, and slightly upgraded Ford brake pads. Otherwise, they didn't need anything else.

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
They told me that they had issues with the brake cooling, so they removed the fog lights and ducted air to the front brakes. They said that the brakes on the Focuses were upgraded a bit, and that all the cars there use Castrol SRF brake fluid. They said that they were having heat problems with the high altitude and the high temps, so they swapped to the Ford Racing exhaust. It is made by Borla, but different (tips, at least).
The Fiestas just have the Castrol SRF, safety stuff, hydraulic rear brake kit, and slightly upgraded Ford brake pads. Otherwise, they didn't need anything else.
The exhaust is the FRPP. Same as Borla except an added resonator.

Sent from another galaxy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts