Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ST1
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: I use the term "build" lightly. This won't be an all out crazy build, just a casual daily driver with some minor upgrades. I'm in no position go nutz with this car anytime soon. Unless I find myself making a ****ton of money real soon, it's gonna stay pretty tame and low profile.

I've never done amything like this but here we go...

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Purchased in mid January, 2021 with 23,000 miles.

Mods from the previous owner:
Kenwood DDX375BT radio with the iDatalink module that plugs into the OBDII port (I just found the OBDII plug today...more on that later)

Other than that, it was completely stock

I'll try to add pictures as I go. Here are a couple from when I first got it...
unnamed.jpg
download (2).png

·
Registered
2017 ST1
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First changes...LEDs

1. I replaced all the interior bulbs with LEDs. A total of 6 T10 style Sylvanias from Advanced or AutoZone. They're a bit brighter and I love the white color sooo much better than the regular bulbs.

2. Reverse lights replaced with Sylvanias from Advanced or AutoZone. Other than the color, they're not much brighter so I'll probably be replacing them soon.

3. LED headlights. The main topic I wanted cover. So I went with these cheap ones from Amazon. They're actually pretty good, they're plenty bright and the beam pattern is decent. The only issue I have is that the back housing with the fan is too big, the rubber dust cap won't fit back on all the way. I think it's sealed just fine, it just won't seat back down like it's supposed to. I'll be ordering some universal covers soon, after I measure the diameter. (I'll attach pictures tomorrow). There's also a little module in line with the wire that plugs in, but it fits just fine inside the headlight housing.
I ordered these too, thinking they were smaller but I was definitely wrong. They're much bigger and the module in line was too big to fit inside the headlight. I compared the two side by side and there's very little difference in color/brightness/beam pattern, so I'll be sending these back and keeping the originals.

I plan on replacing all of the lights with LEDs eventually so I'll post about that as I go

Here's the worse of the two dust cap things. It's not terrible, I think it's sealed just fine but I'm gonna replace them anyways.
IMG_1841.jpeg

·
Registered
2017 ST1
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Second changes (today)... New USB outlet, dash cam, and symposer work

1. New USB outlet installed to the left of the steering wheel, just above the OBDII port. I put this product in my 2013 SE a while back and had it in there for years, so I got another one for my ST. I drilled out a 1 1/8" hole in the plastic and mounted the unit using the included plastic nut screwed onto the back side to secure it in place. The wires it came with weren't long enough so I just used some red and black wire I had laying around. I ran the wires down and under the top of the insulation by the pedals, toward the center console. My goal was to splice them in to the wires powering the 12V outlet that to left of the shifter, because I know that this outlet stays powered until 30 minutes after the car is turned off. I had to remove the shift knob, shifter boot, and the plastic trim piece that goes around the whole thing. I disconnected the clip that plugs into the bottom of the outlet and cut away the insulation to reveal the two wires. Spliced in the power and ground wires, plugged everything back in, made sure the wires were ziptied/tucked away neatly, put everything back together, and we're good to go. One of these outlets will be used to power the dash cam.

2. Dash cam... This is the dash cam I have. I'm not gonna do a any kind of review of the cam itself, just the installation. I haven't actually installed it on this Focus yet but it's the same one I put in my previous 2013 SE so the process is gonna be pretty much the same. I'll update this tomorrow after I get it installed.

3. Symposer work... I did the opposite of a delete :LOL: I took the valve module out and taped the two tubes together lol I haven't driven it yet but just some low revs made me smile. I'll update this tomorrow too when I get some driving in.

I'll update this with pictures tomorrow too.

Next up will be the dash cam install and symposer reaction. I also picked up a Cobb CAI from a buddy today, all I need is a filter, so that might happen tomorrow too.

Edit to add pictures...

UBS outlet:

IMG_1832.jpeg

Front & rear dash cam:
62D9D38B-E418-4C6C-AB26-9EB4E688FA9D.jpeg
FDA97C35-BC1B-41FD-883B-36A60A1DDA48.jpeg
9F2F2158-D670-42D2-A474-BF09796F1ADB.jpeg
B761623A-3A98-4C0C-9D2E-B7E9FFFB3290.jpeg
EC5CBE73-F1AF-4C8E-8858-1ACEA4EAD723.jpeg

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
290 Posts
I've been looking into LED headlight bulbs too for my ST1.. Been apprehensive because the fixtures aren't projectors and I've heard mixed reviews from people. Can you get some pics up of your light spread? Keep us posted on the build.

·
Registered
2017 ST1
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been looking into LED headlight bulbs too for my ST1.. Been apprehensive because the fixtures aren't projectors and I've heard mixed reviews from people. Can you get some pics up of your light spread? Keep us posted on the build.
Yeah for sure! I’ll get them up this evening

·
2,425 Posts
Not to threadjack, but this video should help you make a good decision. Same with the OP, as he said the LEDs he bought are the same output as stock.

·
Registered
2017 ST1
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to threadjack, but this video should help you make a good decision. Same with the OP, as he said the LEDs he bought are the same output as stock.

My cheap LED headlight bulbs are definitely brighter than stock, I was referring to the difference between the first and second set of LEDs I bought. I'll still probably upgrade to so higher quality ones in the future, but these work just fine for now.

·
2,425 Posts
My cheap LED headlight bulbs are definitely brighter than stock, I was referring to the difference between the first and second set of LEDs I bought. I'll still probably upgrade to so higher quality ones in the future, but these work just fine for now.
Ah ok, i misread that. There's definitely a massive difference between a 50 dollar set of LEDs and a 225 dollar set.

Reactions: AustinJG

·
Registered
337 Posts
You do realize you’d have better output with upgraded halogen bulbs? More useable light while driving? Or no? And you won’t be that guy blinding everyone. Do you know you basically have your high beams on?

·
Registered
2017 ST1
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You do realize you’d have better output with upgraded halogen bulbs? More useable light while driving? Or no? And you won’t be that guy blinding everyone. Do you know you basically have your high beams on?
So you’ve seen my headlights?

·
Registered
337 Posts
So you already know since I put in cheap LEDs, that they’re aimed too high?
I have no idea how they are aimed. Aiming them doesn’t adjust glare.... Glare is glare. Should have done research instead of finding the ones with the best fake reviews....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh, and my car only came with one key so I found and ordered a blank OEM Focus RS key. Will update when I get that programmed.
Where are you planning on getting it programmed? My ST2 also came with one key and I'd like to get a second one, but Ford asks for too much for me.

·
Registered
2017 ST1
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no idea how they are aimed. Aiming them doesn’t adjust glare.... Glare is glare. Should have done research instead of finding the ones with the best fake reviews....
Yo I never said these were the greatest LEDs ever. How about offering some constructive criticism instead of bashing me for trying out some cheap ****. Are you this rude on other people’s threads too, or did I just get lucky?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yo I never said these were the greatest LEDs ever. How about offering some constructive criticism instead of bashing me for trying out some cheap ****. Are you this rude on other people’s threads too, or did I just get lucky?
I did offer you a solution.... But you won’t listen because you “need” LEDs to look cool it would seem.

But doing a H9 swap would net better output, along with far more useful light and no glare. But it won’t look cool. But, it’s an actual upgrade in lighting, not a downgrade like the glare kit you have.

·
Registered
2017 ST1
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where are you planning on getting it programmed? My ST2 also came with one key and I'd like to get a second one, but Ford asks for too much for me.
I’ll probably just go to a dealership, that way I know it’s done right 🤷‍♂️ I’ll update you on how much the programming cost and where I went

·
Registered
2017 ST1
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did offer you a solution.... But you won’t listen because you “need” LEDs to look cool it would seem.

But doing a H9 swap would net better output, along with far more useful light and no glare. But it won’t look cool. But, it’s an actual upgrade in lighting, not a downgrade like the glare kit you have.
Yes, I like the look of them more than the factory bulbs. That’s why I got them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts