Ford Focus ST Forum banner
181 - 200 of 217 Posts

· The Mod with a Mouth
9,492 Posts
Assuming its ringland failure, who is to say that they didn't start deteriorating before someone installs a wmi? Meaning just bc you added wmi, it doesn't mean no damage has already started?
thats why i say "can be". So far I haven't seen a failure post or thread where the owner was using a WMI system or running E85 blended fuel(iirc on that).

· Banned
2,537 Posts
thats why i say "can be". So far I haven't seen a failure post or thread where the owner was using a WMI system or running E85 blended fuel(iirc on that).
Yeah, there was one guy who posted in the blown motor thread for a friend and he was running meth. But that's my point, if ti add wmi after the fact that you have some piston deterioration, it could be too late.

· Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, there was one guy who posted in the blown motor thread for a friend and he was running meth. But that's my point, if ti add wmi after the fact that you have some piston deterioration, it could be too late.
He actually posted later (if I think we're talking about the same guy) that he did not have water/meth installed that he was just "stage 3" (post 607)

· The Mod with a Mouth
9,492 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Yea "chocolate milk" is not good I guess I would have tried to track down the reason I had coolant in my oil. I don't want to just rule him out as an example but it seems like his car may have been hurting and the big turbo is not going to help that out. I really do think that a good quality WMI kit does help these pistons reliably handle the power by keeping cylinder temps in check and also help preventing LSPI. How many of the blown big turbo engines were using 91 oct. Vs 93 oct.?

· Banned
2,537 Posts
Yea "chocolate milk" is not good I guess I would have tried to track down the reason I had coolant in my oil. I don't want to just rule him out as an example but it seems like his car may have been hurting and the big turbo is not going to help that out. I really do think that a good quality WMI kit does help these pistons reliably handle the power by keeping cylinder temps in check and also help preventing LSPI. How many of the blown big turbo engines were using 91 oct. Vs 93 oct.?
Chocolate milk could just be oil blow by mixed with condensation.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
so finally a little update!

the head is finished and we were able to fit +1 valves on both the intake and exhaust side. We gave the head our special single runner port on the intake side and we were able to do some bowl work on the exhaust runners. We are still experimenting with porting the headifold port so more information to come on that in the future.

Auto part Bicycle part Automotive air manifold Engine

Rim Wheel Automotive wheel system Auto part Cooktop

· Registered
589 Posts
I'm coming a little late to this party but I did just spend the last hour at work reading the posts lol. I am definitely curious to see how this turns out, and now I have a lot to think about before I start installing mods on the car. I appreciate all of the info that's on here.

· Registered
2,522 Posts
Please forgive my noobness but what does a "+1 valve" mean?

· Registered
178 Posts
I just order some pistons and rods from SPEED PERF6RMANC3 on Saturday and they were at my door by Wednesday, 4 days really? I'm so impressed. Thanks guys!!! By the way I too have low compression in piston 1......

· Registered
19 Posts
Do you have any idea if there's difference between European and USA version of pistons? I've not heard of low compression cylinders with 2013 ST even while our Euro PCM is calibrated to give constant overboost with european "regular" gasoline (about 90-91 AKI, 95RON) and run very lean in many situations. The base calibration think that it's ok to run over 1,2 bar boost @2500-4000rpm with 14.8 - 15:1 AFR for couple of seconds with AKI 93 gasoline and about 30 degC CAC temperature while flooring at highway on 6rd gear. Just does enrichment after a while and rise boost to over 1,3 bar. And does not blow pistons...

181 - 200 of 217 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.