Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
True on the variation in performance. I had 18" Conti DWS on my previous car that worked well. Check out this test winter test between the DWS and the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus that I whined (yes, I was was pissy) about. The Pirelli performance is embarrassing.

Even my last dedicated set of Pirelli winter tires (Sottozero III) were complete garbage on snow and ice. Italians can't do winter tires. They can build Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Paganis, they can make Pizza and other delicious stuff. But they should stay far far away from winter tires.
My current Goodyear Ultragip Gen-1 are a night and day difference to the crappy Pirellis on snow.

·
Registered
777 Posts
All season tires are really sun and rain tires. Buy winter treads and your car will be just fine in the snow. Had to replace my Michelin Xice after 4 years. Went with Sumitro winter treads to save some money
(Don’t have to drive as much in really bad weather anymore or I would’ve stayed with Michelins). I have been very pleasantly surprised by the sumitomos. Comfortable with good grip. About 20% cheaper than the X ice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Similar to you, I've got 40+ years of driving in the snow, with 35 of those years in rwd cars. I drove my '18 st3 last year with Goodyear F1s, and they were mediocre, and I didn't have any sideways adventures, but I also go slow in snow and ice. I bought A/S tires just before winter this year, and there's been basically no snow for the first time ever, so I don't know how they will do. But if you're going slow with A/S tires and still sliding, then I'd say there's a problem.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts