Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross posting this to the Autocross forum since that is my target audience:

After doing my first autocross this weekend and getting thrown all over the place in the seat, I came here looking for solutions. The CG Lock seemed to fit the bill, but does not seem to work with the seat buckles in my 2017. The Schroth 4-point harness looked really cool, but kind of lost its allure with the $380 price tag. Being a somewhat handy guy with tools, I decided to try and find another (read cheap) alternative. After digging through the "random fastener" drawer of my tool box, I spied a simple brass hinge from an interior door. The outermost holes neatly straddled the width of the seatbelt so I decided to give it a try.

For the first step, I hack sawed off the pinned hinge from the section with the holes. Forgive my funky cut-lines, this is for function, not beauty:

Hinge.jpg

Next, I used a dremel tool to smooth the edges of the cut pieces so they would not snag on the belt, clothes, skin, etc.:

hinges cut and dremeled.jpg

For the next step I decided to add a little grip to the plates so that the finished assembly would not slide on the belt so easily. I opted for 220 grit sandpaper, since that's what I had in the toolbox. I cut and glued the sandpaper to fit the inside of the plates between the outermost holes as shown below:

sandpaper grips.jpg

Here are all the parts I used. The bolts are 3/4 inch machine bolts, with lock-washers and wingnuts to hold it all together:

all parts.jpg

assembly.jpg

And finally, here is the finished product in place on the seatbelt:

set and buckled.jpg

Like I said before, the purpose was not to make something to win an engineering award, but rather a practical, DIY solution to sliding all over the seat during autocross.

JD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw, Posts saying that I am friggin nuts are quite welcome. I think the tech inspectors might have a coronary when they see this contraption.

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just put the buckle in, pull tight, unbuckle while holding snug, twist twice, boom tight seatbelt for free.
OP - Great work on finding a solution on the cheap.

I used this seatbelt trick in my 01 ZX3 for many events. Works great.
Now I have Ricaros and found I no longer need to use this trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts