Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After testing my setup at a few track days I firmly believe it is effective in improving oil and coolant temps on track and have gotten several requests for more details so I wanted to provide a starting point for others to fabricate their own.

0102161828.jpg

I started off by shaving my grill using an angle grinder and a 60 grit flap wheel.
IMG_20151212_172511.jpg

Next I began creating a template out of cardboard, starting with the sides and then adding a top and middle section.
1231151521a_HDR.jpg 1231151448_HDR.jpg 1231151431.jpg

This took several iterations of mocking it up, putting the bumper on and checking for clearances, adjusting, etc. Once complete I made some drawings up and have attached those below. Note that I don't have specific dimensions for the tabs that I used to bolt everything together. Also, I ended up making some extra tabs/brackets on the top piece utilized existing holes for attachment. These drawings are a good place to start but I still recommend using them to make a carboard mockup and then adjust that for you individual application.
Radiator Shroud Drawing 1.jpg Radiator Shroud Drawing 2.2.jpg

I used aluminum sheet metal from home depot to actually make the final product. I had access to nice sheet metal tools (press break, hydraulic shear, etc) but you could do this with a pair of snips, a work bench/vise, and a drill. Also if you can weld, you don't need to use bolts and tabs to hold the sheet metal pieces together. I mounted the side pieces to the composite plastic structure with 2 small bolts on each side. The 2 holes in the composite on each side were the only permanent alterations to the car, besides of course shaving the grill.

You can see the tabs I used to mount to stock holes below.
Radiator Shroud Tabs.jpg

Final Product
0102161847.jpg

I ran Gingerman April 16-17 this year and collected data with my OBDLink MX to compare to last year at the same track. Both days were about 80-85°F ambient. You can see the difference in ECT (225 vs 240+)as well as how well the Depo 3.5" FMIC was compared to stock (<100°F vs 140+). I don't have a way to log oil temperature but I do have a real sensor and gauge in the car and it had hit 280°F without the shrouds but was always less than 250°F with them. I ran Pitt Race last weekend and it was only the in the low-mid 60's both days but with those temperatures my coolant stayed well below 220°F usually around 210 max and oil was less than 230°F all weekend.

Radiator Shroud and Intercooler Data.png

All the runs are on video as well.

Before:
After:
After 60°F day:

·
Registered
20 Posts
This looks amazing. Very well done. Awesome that you came with data as well. I noticed that mountune ICs had shrouds on them as well (at least for their 2013-2014). I wonder if we might start seeing more of these from vendors :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This looks amazing. Very well done. Awesome that you came with data as well. I noticed that mountune ICs had shrouds on them as well (at least for their 2013-2014). I wonder if we might start seeing more of these from vendors :)
Ya I did always like the Mountune and 1 or 2 smaller brand FMIC's that also had some shrouding on them. I actually made a mock-up of some side pieces and a bottom for my setup, but would really need some bosses welded on the Depo unit to have something to attach it to or it would be too floppy. It is doing very wellwithout them, but it could continue to help keep more air through the radiator, which is the real key to the shrouding.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Get busy velossa tech

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
did you notice much of a change in gas millage? I know its a silly question, but my car is a dd, not a track car..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Then you won't need this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For spirited driving up the mountain passes around here in the summer with A/c running I absolutely do! I need something if I don't want to overheat...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did you notice much of a change in gas millage? I know its a silly question, but my car is a dd, not a track car..
Mine's a DD as well but my normal commute is only 1.5 miles :) Track events are a couple hours away though and all highway and I haven't noticed any change in highway mileage. On a good trip about 30 MPG, and that's loaded down with 4 wheel/tires, tools, etc.

Dan

·
Registered
123 Posts
So here it is. THANKS to danmad32 for the instructions and the info!!

As you can see its slightly modified with the extensions down the intercooler and the opening for the velossatech racing intake.
I have not had a chance to test it out during hot weather, but at 57* outside today it seemed to be keeping the coolant temp and oil temp further apart from one another then they used to be.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So here it is. THANKS to danmad32 for the instructions and the info!!

As you can see its slightly modified with the extensions down the intercooler and the opening for the velossatech racing intake.
I have not had a chance to test it out during hot weather, but at 57* outside today it seemed to be keeping the coolant temp and oil temp further apart from one another then they used to be.

Very nice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Reviving this thread because I feel like this is one of the most underrated mods we can do, especially here in Phoenix where it is 113 regularly. With my Mountune radiator arroving Monday, this will be made before it gets dropped off.

Here's to hoping I dont cause the car to start heat stacking with all that extra cooling and more air being directed through the radiator, although I have been looking for a reason to buy a local Carbon fiber vented hood.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts