Ford Focus ST Forum banner

DIY Install Video's From Headlight Armor

10K views 44 replies 4 participants last post by  HeadlightArmor 
#1 ·
Starting a thread to showcase in one place our DIY Install Video's Starting off with the DIY for the Focus and Focus ST Headlight Protection Kit

DIY Install Video Tutorial - Ford Focus ST - Headlight Armor HID Blue Headlight Protection Kit

#3 ·
I really want to get some headlight tint for my ST and have been shopping around for some. I had another brands headlight tint on my last car, 2012 Mustang, and after 2 years there were these small spider web or hair-line cracks that formed under the tint, in the headlights.

So I am now concerned about that happening. Have you experienced anything like this with your tint? I'm not sure if the lens got to hot or what. Once again this was not your brand of tint, it was a popular brand but I am reading a lot on forums about headlight lens cracking under the tint.

Also, does Headlight armor offer a forum discount? Thanks.

#4 ·
Brandon sorry your Mustang had some issues, but they were not related to an application on the lens. As far as cracking goes, you have heard wrong. Headlights cracking because of an application (anybody’s) is nonsense. A headlight protection kit is not going to cause the polycarbonate / Lexan to fail. What you have heard has nothing at all to do with the headlight protection kit. Polycarbonate & Lexan, what most composite headlights are made from these days, have a continuous working temperature of between 248 - 475 F depending on the formulation, This means that water would boil instantly upon contact and that you would get a nasty burn if you touched them before they reached the failure point. Car makers are not going to design a headlight to run that hot. the materials we use will fail before the polycarbonate would.

Polycarbonate lens failure is usually a manufacturing issue during the production of the polycarbonate, or a chemical contact issue. The latter could have occurred before you even picked up your car from the dealer. There is one dealer here in Dallas who had to replace a lot of headlights when it was discovered that the (outsourced) make ready / wash people were using wheel acid on the entire front of the vehicle to make bug removal easier... There is a long list of chemicals that the polycarbonate lens is susceptible to.

Hope that helps.

#5 ·
Thanks!

Yes that helps. I appreciate your quick and thorough reply. I will be ordering Headlight Armor for my ST soon. Thanks again.

#7 ·
Our Latest DIY Video tutorials are up!

Clear Fog Light Protection Kit DIY Install – Chevrolet Corvette

Clear Headlight Protection Kit DIY Install – Chevrolet Corvette

Light Smoke Taillight Kit - Chevrolet Corvette

Let us know if you have any questions on the application shown.

#15 ·
Any legal issues with using a colored covering on headlights?
In PA, just about everything is illegal, so just curious if those blue covers will fail an inspection.

#18 ·
Awesome how-to. I may have to put my order in for smoked headlights this weekend :D

Reactions: HeadlightArmor
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.