Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spitballing here, and hopefully getting a conversation going about some options. Maybe something like this already exists? So after getting my E85 tune on my Big Turbo (big thanks to @[email protected]), I've been loving it, but wondering if there is a way out there to add in an auxiliary fuel cell for JUST E85, so mixing wouldn't be a pita.

Here's my idea for you all to shoot holes in:
-Have the stock tank of 93 octane, have an auxiliary tank of E85, filling each independently
-Plumb/meter it in a way that the correct proportion of E85 mixes with the 93 fuel further down the fuel lines (think like jetting for nitrous oxide, different jets or restrictors for E30/E40/E50)​

This accomplishes 3 things:
-Takes away the need to calculate and mix
-Keeps the mix exactly consistent every time
-Increases your fuel range by a factor of whatever size fuel cell you decide to use for E85.​

What pitfalls does a system like this contain? I know that Zeitronix makes a great E85 content meter which would eliminate the need to calculate the mixture, but then again, this doesn't offer the benefit of extending range that a whole different tank would offer.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have thought about this as well but it would be so complicated because of the fact that it is not straight e85 if someone could come up with a solution that would be cool but the general rule of thumb is one gallon of e85 per bar of fuel on the gauge... no fuel 4 gallons of e85 after I already had e in the tank at 40 miles till empty it translated to an ethanol content of 37%

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm sorry but I was having a hard time understanding this. What is not straight E85? I know on the pump it says "Minimum E70" and if that's what you're referring to, then the same issue applies whether you're running E85 in the stock tank or an auxiliary tank.

As far as the rule of thumb goes, I'm familiar with how to fill it up but in my situation, I have one E85 pump within a 25 mile radius, so what I sometimes end up doing is fill up a 5 gallon jerry can to take with me and that way I can mix it later. Then I run into the whole issue of having to do the math and mix it and it's a pain. Again, not the worst thing in the world, but without money being an issue, I'd love to come up with a way to put this system into place.

For my purposes, it would be the easiest way to daily drive on corn (being able to fill up a 10 gallon aux tank with E85, and only having to hit the E85 pump once every 2 weeks on my way to work and fill up the 93 tank as needed), and to me the difference is night and day. Even with a big turbo, going straight 93 makes it feel like stock again :crying:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think you'd need a second fuel pump if you did this. Biggest downside would be the added cost and taking up interior space. Plenty of people do just fine with the mixing which is probably why there hasn't been investigation into something ilke this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not too worried about the interior space being taken up. I would probably try to fit up a custom welded tank to take up the area that the foam organizer takes up. Cost wouldn't necessarily be an issue since I have only one pump that I have access to. For my purposes it would be the convenience...and plus, I love a good project and I've already (for the most part) fully bolted this thing and I'm getting bored...really this has a lot to do with my decision to start rolling this idea around lol

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I take 4, 5 gallon cans and fill them with e30. Then a small 2 gallon can of just E85 invade I have to adjust those tanks or my cars tank. So if I get home and I test my gas and it's only e28.5 I'll add some e from the tank I filled for adjustment. It's less inconvenient.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have a zietronix kit but ultimately I'll have to drop the tank and make the line coming off the transfer pump to the body line. This way the sensor can be placed in the space under the car between the gas tank and body.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a zietronix kit but ultimately I'll have to drop the tank and make the line coming off the transfer pump to the body line. This way the sensor can be placed in the space under the car between the gas tank and body.
Are you not able to run it in line with the fuel lines going down the body/frame of the car? Or are you just trying to keep it up and out of the way?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Are you not able to run it in line with the fuel lines going down the body/frame of the car? Or are you just trying to keep it up and out of the way?
I tried a few different things. But ultimately to do it right you should drop the tank and but the fittings and hose and make a line.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
There just isn't a lot of room and the sensor is quite long. About six inches or so

1 - 10 of 10 Posts