Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So on the topic of getting our ST's smog ready after installing mods and tunes, I've gotten so many different answers on this topic from many people running all different mod setups. Everything from reflashing tunes, to installing defoulers, all the way to "you don't need to do anything".

I'm running an E30 Stratified Tune and the rear O2 Sensor is disabled (Catted MBRP Downpipe). As of right now if I check my I/M Readiness Monitor, I'm showing Three (3) not ready monitors. Oxygen Sensor, Oxygen Sensor Heater, and Catalyst. You're only allowed 1 Not Ready monitor in Nevada for smog.

Now a guy I know in town is running nearly the exact same setup as me, full bolt-ons (Catless Downpipe) with a Strat E30 tune, and he tells me his rear O2 sensor is disabled too, and that is the only monitor showing "not ready" on his car. How can this be?

Is it as simple as having Stratified turn the O2 sensor on in the tune and everything will be fine? I've had people say "no need to run defoulers if you're tuned" Well that's great and all, but my 3 monitors showing not ready will fail smog inspection even with a tune.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Iv personally failed inspections(texas) with my tune on thinking i would be fine. It was a very irritating process. Tuned by unleashed. Ended up having to install the oem dp. But the inspection the following year i installed the j tube defouler from panda (middle insert) and was tuned by freektune ( all the same mods as the year before) and passed all systems ready. 30 bucks well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
From what Alex from Stratified said is that sometimes the accessport prevents the resetting of the monitors. The best way to solve that is re-flashing the ECU back to stock and letting the monitors reset on the stock tune. I'm currently in this position now mentioned by the OP. I have inspection Monday so I'll find out.

Edit: I have a catless ATP downpipe with a vibrant J defouler with a medium insert on the rear O2 sensor

·
Vendor
2,561 Posts
With the latest update to the AP, it looks like we have what we need to make sure the readiness monitors always set. You will need an OEM downpipe or an aftermarket with a defouler for them to set (the latter is not guaranteed). For older tunes or if in a pinch just uninstall the tuning device and drive gently. The readiness will set as long as you meet the downpipe requirements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts