Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you are worried about somebody guessing your door code while it sits there?
Yes. That's the idea. I figure if someone try a different code maybe 10 or more times a night, then eventually, they will arrive at the correct one. And since there's no way to erase the factory one, then I see that as a security risk.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
5 digit code with 5 buttons would take up to a year to guess at that rate. thieves don't have that kind of time (or patience) if somebody really want to get in, they will just break the window out.

that being said, there will be wires running from the panel, you may be able to unplug the harness or just cut the wires if you really need it done.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
You must have the most determined thief's in your area. If someone wants in your car, they are going to get into it. Smashing a window in the middle of the night will still give them plenty of time to get what they are after, why do it silently through hours/days of guessing a combination?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Come on now people. 5 digit code with 5 possible key values = 5 ^ 5 = 3125 possible combinations. Even with the anti-scan feature, a thief can try 70 codes in 10 minutes. Or if he/she spend 20 minutes each night, then he/she will get the correct code in maximum 22 days. Half that if you also program in a personal code (this is wrong. see Edit below). I'm worry about disgruntled neighbors. This is the most useless and carelessly designed feature in a Ford IMO. I mean at least allow the owner to disable it. Imagine what a disgruntled neighbor will do to your interior once he/she gets the code. omg .:furious:

EDIT: Having one more personal code doesn't decrease the maximum tries by 1/2. But only decreases the maximum by 1 to 3124 tries.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I cant even imagine how big of an ass I would have to be to piss of my neighbor to the extent that they would actually invest the kind of time it would take to crack that... even just spending 20 mins every night for up to 22 days seems like an awful lot of work just to destroy your interior. if you were that mad and crazy that you would vandalize a car, why on earth would they try to waste any time at all trying to guess codes when they could pick up a rock, brick, pipe, or even the classic instantly turn a window in to diamonds with a center punch or a chunk of broke spark plug? shucks, I'd think the broken window (or every window) would even be a bonus if they really wanted to mess it up to to hurt you.

its kinda been a Ford staple for decades, heck the ST is the first Ford I've ever owned that hasn't had one (I cant believe I didn't even check if it did before buying the car cause I just expected it to be there), definitely wouldn't call it useless just because you don't like it, plenty of people use it quite often.

personally, yeah, I believe there should be a setting or option for controlling every feature. one way or another, at least if you want it disabled there are definitely ways of doing it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Come on now people. 5 digit code with 5 possible key values = 5 ^ 5 = 3125 possible combinations. Even with the anti-scan feature, a thief can try 70 codes in 10 minutes. Or if he/she spend 20 minutes each night, then he/she will get the correct code in maximum 22 days. Half that if you also program in a personal code. I'm worry about disgruntled neighbors. This is the most useless and carelessly designed feature in a Ford IMO. I mean at least allow the owner to disable it. Imagine what a disgruntled neighbor will do to your interior once he/she gets the code. omg .:furious:
Don't be a d bag to your neighbors "not saying that you are" and they won't go and mess with the car, but even if they get into the car they can't start it with out the fob. Always remember nation wide is on your side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Alright, I guess it's almost as useful as a roof mounted rocket launcher http://jalopnik.com/why-ford-s-keypad-entry-system-is-secretly-the-best-thi-1720567933

:haha:

But I live in a big city where ripping off your neighbor is a hobby. Seriously, none of you ever worried about what your neighbors might use the inside of your car for when you're on vacation if only they have the unlock code? I mean give us a secure way, like inject DNA or a retina scan or something, to disable this feature. :big smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts