Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to get some input from other '15/'16 drivers using these bulbs.

So I picked up a set of HP11's from Diode Dynamics the other day to put in the tail lights. Installed them, turned the car on to try them out. First issue was a bulb fault message on the dash display, but I was half expecting that. The other issue is that they seem to only have one brightness setting, which is extremely bright. Depressing the brake pedal does nothing except turn on the wing brake light.

Maybe I'm an idiot and should have realized LED bulbs can't vary in brightness, or maybe there's a workaround. Have any of you driving a '15/'16 put these bulbs in and had this issue? I noticed that the 2014's and older have two separate lights for braking and low-light, so maybe these were designed for those years? I've already sent an email to Diode asking if they have any solutions, but figured I'd drop a thread here as well.

Thanks!

EDIT: DD says they have two brightness settings. Not sure what's wrong now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same exact problem. Just installed DD HP11 tail lights on my 2016 ST, they work great when the headlights are off, but once they're turned on there only seems to be one brightness level, nothing gets brighter when the brake is engaged except the 3rd brake light. All metal connections on the bulb were checked to make sure they were contacting inside the plug, plus I cleaned the wire harness to the housing for good measure, but nothing seems to have any effect. Is there another step to installing them to make sure they can change brightness levels, or perhaps they're defective?

·
Registered
523 Posts
DD bulbs need resistors on '15+, otherwise they just stay at full bright and eventually throw a bulb fault. Contact DD and they should be nice and send you a pair of resistors.

Alternately, you can get the Sylvania Zevo Super Bright bulbs that are plug and play for the brake lights, no resistors required. Better bulb design too IMO.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I thought the bulbs were a 3157 variant? There should be two levels of brightness.

Thinking about doing this, but hate having to splice resistors. No way am I gonna cut up the wiring on my 2018.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts