Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here done anything to kill the reflecting qualities of the shiny bits of the interior trim? I'd like to do something about it all, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've never taken any of the trim off of any car, and I don't want to mess it up. Is it just as easy as prying and popping it off? If that's the case, I suppose I could just do that, then spray it all with some matte black paint.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I took the a/c vents apart and plastidipped then a matte red.
If u pull the panel off the side of the dash the one that would be against the door when it's shut there's one torxs screw behind it u take that out an then u can unclip it an pull the vent out and unclip an take the vent it'self apart an the shiny price will come off. Hope that helps!! Pics didn't get real great but it looks great in person and yes I know my car was very dirty when I took the pic......

·
Registered
428 Posts
Matte black vinyl is a good way to kill the shine and doesn't permanently alter the pieces. Alternatively, you could potentially find the owner of a lower model and swap some pieces (maybe with a few bucks tossed your way as well) such as the outer vents and the door trim; often those are sought after by owners of other models.

Reactions: LeojST

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could a vinyl wrap happen with the parts still on the car?

Or, could I paint plastidip on while the stuff is on the car still?

If I can avoid pulling stuff off, I would rather go that route. I don't want loose pieces of trim rattling around. Or, is that a silly concern?

·
Registered
744 Posts

If I can avoid pulling stuff off, I would rather go that route. I don't want loose pieces of trim rattling around. Or, is that a silly concern?
I bought a few rolls of black carbon fiber vinyl and took apart my dash. I don't have any pictures right now but I did a good portion of my interior including the entire HVAC control section and the majority of the center console. You can look at CarID.com and look up your year. They sell kits with numerous different color/finish options. They're a bit expensive but they don't require you to take apart the interior. But to answer your concern, as long as you don't forget screws/bolts and don't forget to clip things back together properly (the majority of the interior is clips) then you shouldn't get any rattles. I've taken just about all of it apart and I don't have any.

·
Registered
428 Posts

You can vinyl wrap with pieces installed but for best results they should be removed. There are many guides online for these trim pieces and they're very simple to remove and install.

For plastidip, I would definitely remove everything and keep them far from the car otherwise overspray will get everywhere.

Reactions: LeojST
1 - 6 of 6 Posts