Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running with a 91 octane flash tune from stratified. I have no major mods on my car: High flow air filter Ford perf exhaust an colder plugs.
Wife accidentally put 87 octane gas in the car; as soon as she got home I plugged the AP in order to run the "stage 0" on it until the next fill up.
I saw the "Stage 1 87 tune" on there....i was like, WTH....so I went with it. I'm surprised in how smooth the car runs with it loL..It feels better that the stratified 91 tune..why is this?
Now, I have not push the car to the limits yet to see how it performs.....any input?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,199 Posts
Don't run Cobb OTS tunes. Switch back to stage 0.

You are horsepower limited on the stock tune to 240 horsepower when you run 87, so there's really no point in an 87 tune other than it removes factory safeties and makes the throttle mapping too aggressive, which makes it much easier to bust a ringland.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Don't run Cobb OTS tunes. Switch back to stage 0.

You are horsepower limited on the stock tune to 240 horsepower when you run 87, so there's really no point in an 87 tune other than it removes factory safeties and makes the throttle mapping too aggressive, which makes it much easier to bust a ringland.
it also makes it much harder to bust a move

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Beyond what @TurboGT said, invest in revisions with Stratified. This way, they can fine tune performance and ensure safe operating parameters.
^^ #truth My car had a lot of negative corrections with the stratified canned map (more than the Cobb OTS map I ran to get by on till I went stratified). They did a log review for me and said it was fine - but it was more than I was comfortable with so I wound up going with JST and all was good. Cost was there (then having spent money on 2 tuners) but a custom tune is leagues better. No car behaves the same no matter if the mods are the same or not.

·
Vendor
807 Posts
Should check out our Adapt-X tune if your wife drives your car. Our tune will adjust between 87-93 like the ford oem tune and is the only tune available on the market that has that ability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts