Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2016 Focus ST-2. Haven't even had it a week and while driving down 91 headed towards 241 in OC this morning a moron in a white honda who was entering the highway via an on ramp decided to speed up and cut me off while clipping the front of my car in the process. His front bumper was at my rear bumper as he approached the end of his lane and instead of being a normal human being and getting behind me he decided to punch it into the shoulder before cutting me off. He had about two car lengths of space between me and the car in front of me who I had just let in, so he could've made it if he knew how to drive but clearly that is not something he is good at. I saw it unfolding and luckily reacted quick enough to hit the brakes and swerve left so he just barely clipped me. Fortunately for me no one was in the lane next to me. My 10yr old son was with me and was calling him all sorts of awesome names lol, love that kid!

I have the protective condom wrap (scientific term) on my fender so I was able to peel off most of the scuff marks but the dent needs to be fixed. If anyone has a fender removal DIY link feel free to help a new brother out. I hate to have to go through insurance for such a small dent. Would any of you try to tackle this yourselves?

Side Note: If anyone knows an asian guy who drives a white honda accord that was on 91 and 241 this morning feel free to punch him in the cooter and tell him he drives like a girl.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would probably make the evening news had this been me. Did you get the tag number by chance?

Personally, I would just pay a local shop to pop it out and do a touch up before I tried myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just purchased a 2016 Focus ST-2. Haven't even had it a week and while driving down 91 headed towards 241 in OC this morning a moron in a white honda who was entering the highway via an on ramp decided to speed up and cut me off while clipping the front of my car in the process. His front bumper was at my rear bumper as he approached the end of his lane and instead of being a normal human being and getting behind me he decided to punch it into the shoulder before cutting me off. He had about two car lengths of space between me and the car in front of me who I had just let in, so he could've made it if he knew how to drive but clearly that is not something he is good at. I saw it unfolding and luckily reacted quick enough to hit the brakes and swerve left so he just barely clipped me. Fortunately for me no one was in the lane next to me. My 10yr old son was with me and was calling him all sorts of awesome names lol, love that kid!

I have the protective condom wrap (scientific term) on my fender so I was able to peel off most of the scuff marks but the dent needs to be fixed. If anyone has a fender removal DIY link feel free to help a new brother out. I hate to have to go through insurance for such a small dent. Would any of you try to tackle this yourselves?

Side Note: If anyone knows an asian guy who drives a white honda accord that was on 91 and 241 this morning feel free to punch him in the cooter and tell him he drives like a girl.
So the guy just took off? I am soooooo glad I got a dash cam! Spend $50 and get one!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the guy just took off? I am soooooo glad I got a dash cam! Spend $50 and get one!
Thats actually my next investment. Which model did you go with?

He tried to take off and I caught up, thank you Focus ST. I actually caught up so quick he slammed on his brakes and tried to stay behind me so I couldnt read his plates as he didnt have a front one. Luckily there isnt an exit on 241 for a few miles so I had some time to make him pull over which I did, I eventually slowed him down to a stop in the middle of the highway before "kindly" convincing him to pull over. Im sure hes going to tell his insurance company it was my fault and our companies will have to settle. We shall see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would probably make the evening news had this been me. Did you get the tag number by chance?

Personally, I would just pay a local shop to pop it out and do a touch up before I tried myself.

I convinced him very enthusiastically to stop. He wouldnt get out of the car until the cop came.
Thats what I was thinking, just suck it up and pay for body shop to do it. I dont want it to hit my carfax and I dont want touch up paint as it doesnt need any paint. Its the type of dent where if it was mid-panel you could suction cup it right out but its at the edge.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I convinced him very enthusiastically to stop. He wouldnt get out of the car until the cop came.
Thats what I was thinking, just suck it up and pay for body shop to do it. I dont want it to hit my carfax and I dont want touch up paint as it doesnt need any paint. Its the type of dent where if it was mid-panel you could suction cup it right out but its at the edge.
I'm not an insurance person but I would think if there was a police report then eventually they would find out. If it was deemed his fault there's no way I'd pay out of pocket. I'd also be a little worried he might report it to his which might make you look guilty if you don't but I don't have all the facts.

I second the dash cam. Bought one for 75 on amazon and and in six months I have caught several wrecks and a dozen more people running redlights.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not an insurance person but I would think if there was a police report then eventually they would find out. If it was deemed his fault there's no way I'd pay out of pocket. I'd also be a little worried he might report it to his which might make you look guilty if you don't but I don't have all the facts.

I second the dash cam. Bought one for 75 on amazon and and in six months I have caught several wrecks and a dozen more people running redlights.

Police reports dont do anything but take driver statements. They dont report anywhere. The only time it hits is if you report to insurance and even then sometimes they dont report that to carfax.
I wish I thought to get a dashcam sooner. I knew I wanted one but it slipped my mind until he hit me, then I remembered really quickly how much one wouldve helped. He wouldve easily lost his license.

I've go the Yi Dashcam. Was like $50 on Amazon, great for the price. Wired it into the passenger side fuse box. Done and forget kind of job.

By the way, since your car is so new, it's worth a try to ask for the depreciation difference from his insurance. I'm no expert, so I'll let reddit explain: https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTip..._in_a_notatfault_automobile_accident_you_are/
That is something you can fight for but usually only involves major crashes. Mine would cost less than my deductible to fix myself and there isnt much depreciation in the car as its just one minor dent. Theres no structural or mechanical damage (engine, exhaust, wiring, intake etc)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thats actually my next investment. Which model did you go with?

He tried to take off and I caught up, thank you Focus ST. I actually caught up so quick he slammed on his brakes and tried to stay behind me so I couldnt read his plates as he didnt have a front one. Luckily there isnt an exit on 241 for a few miles so I had some time to make him pull over which I did, I eventually slowed him down to a stop in the middle of the highway before "kindly" convincing him to pull over. Im sure hes going to tell his insurance company it was my fault and our companies will have to settle. We shall see.
I got the Spytec A119 on Amazon and I think it is about $99. It is awesome and I have recorded a few close calls so far. It is totally worth it. I work and live in the OC and I see this kind of stuff on an almost daily basis.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
50 Posts
Police reports dont do anything but take driver statements. They dont report anywhere. The only time it hits is if you report to insurance and even then sometimes they dont report that to carfax.
I wish I thought to get a dashcam sooner. I knew I wanted one but it slipped my mind until he hit me, then I remembered really quickly how much one wouldve helped. He wouldve easily lost his license.

That is something you can fight for but usually only involves major crashes. Mine would cost less than my deductible to fix myself and there isnt much depreciation in the car as its just one minor dent. Theres no structural or mechanical damage (engine, exhaust, wiring, intake etc)
For a car so new, it might be different. I got rear ended at 800 miles. Went around pricing KBB and whatnot and I lost 4k of value on the car. I know it can be inaccurate, and I ended up not pushing for it since the guy who rear ended me was super nice. (He basically just asked to see the estimate and paid out of pocket.) You may be right, but I think it's worth looking into since it'll cost you nothing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Man the damage is such a piss off, but I'd be hammering that cop to charge that ****face with a hit and run. That **** makes me RAGE

·
Registered
195 Posts
A119 is excellent and very stealthy.
I have the older A118C and it's a very very useful tool.
Even at night.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I also have the A118C. Great little camera.

Tapatalkin on an S7

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man the damage is such a piss off, but I'd be hammering that cop to charge that ****face with a hit and run. That **** makes me RAGE
Yea, if my son wasnt there it may have been a different story. The cops first question was why didnt you guys exchange info yet. I just looked at him like Im pretty sure you dont want me anywhere near him right now

A119 is excellent and very stealthy.
I have the older A118C and it's a very very useful tool.
Even at night.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I also have the A118C. Great little camera.

Tapatalkin on an S7
This A119 seems to be the best bet. Almost everyone has recommended it so far. Looks like I'll be picking one up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only saving grace out of this whole incident was that all of the damage done to my car paint-wise happened where I had the vacuum sealed condom protection.. Saved me from scratches and allowed me to peel his scuff marks right off. Theres some minor marks right next to this but nothing visible unless you really inspect it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've go the Yi Dashcam. Was like $50 on Amazon, great for the price. Wired it into the passenger side fuse box. Done and forget kind of job.
Is there a power adapter cable for this dashcam? I see it comes with only a USB cable to power it up. Interested in possibly purchasing two of these.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Is there a power adapter cable for this dashcam? I see it comes with only a USB cable to power it up. Interested in possibly purchasing two of these.
They usually only come with the USB so you can plug them into a universal USB car charger. They do sell hard wire kits. That is what I used and hard wired it to my an accy. fuse at the passenger foot well.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If the paint is not cracked try paintless dent removal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No, but you can take care of it yourself. You will need a 12V to 5V USB Converter. An add-a-fuse kit, and a microSD card. Take the camera, hook it up to the wire, plug the wire into a random USB port on your car first. Line everything up, place your camera where you want it. Now, take the cable, run it up to the headliner, then tuck it under the headliner, run it across the windshield to the passenger side A-pillar. From there, pop out of the headliner and tuck it into the A-pillar to go across the A-pillar to the passenger window side. Open the passenger door and run it down to the passenger footwell, tucking it into the rubber weather-strip. At the footwell, unscrew and take out the piece of fabric covering the fuse-box. Find a fuse spot that turns on when the car turns on (I want to say 84 or 86? Test with a voltmeter. It's between 83-87). Take out that fuse, place in the add-a-fuse kit instead.

Now, take your buck converter and solder power from the add-a-fuse to the buck converter's power. Ground goes to a metal screw in that fuse compartment. Plug in your USB wiring. Then tie up all the loose wires, close the fuse box, and enjoy! I've hidden my dash cam behind the mirror so I don't even see it anymore. Turns on and off as the car does. If you need help, let me know and I can grab specific pictures.

Links to what I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMIVFK8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U61OO50/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57T02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts