·
Administrator
12,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
12,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately if it is a knock off it wouldn't be the first time. However is Breedt still in business?

Sent from another garage.
They still have a webstore, and it still has their shift arms.

I never liked Torque solutions to begin with, and if in fact they copied the Breedt, now I truly loathe them as a company.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Its a copy of the breedt. Pretty ****ty on torque part and breedt is pretty cheap

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Torque solutions makes a lot of knock offs of parts that actual vendors have made for our car. Ex. shifter bushings, exhaust hanger bushings, throttle body spacers and rear motor mount...I will never buy their products because of that ****.

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
22 Posts
However is Breedt still in business?

I bought a shift arm from them 3 weeks or so ago, so I'd say yes :big smile:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
There are two types of people who keep a place like this is business- 1: Don't know any better and aren't on forums and see a good deal so go for it. 2: People who know exactly what is going on but don't care because it saves them 10 bucks.

I don't much like group number 2. Reminds me an awful lot of chinese stealing our tech while honest companies spend millions on development.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If Breedt didn't want their designed copied shouldn't they have applied and paid for a patent. Maybe they made a mistake by saving a few bucks not getting the patent. If that is the case it is their own fault.

Reactions: jesse_sanders

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If Breedt didn't want their designed copied shouldn't they have applied and paid for a patent. Maybe they made a mistake by saving a few bucks not getting the patent. If that is the case it is their own fault.
This is a good point. You have to protect your products and work because there are total scumbag pieces of **** who jump at the chance to steal things from you. Like Torque Solutions apparently does.

In the end you are right though, if you don't have a patent then you are asking for trouble and Breedt is a large enough company that they know this. They must have decided that the potential money lost wasn't worth the money for a patent lawyer.

Reactions: Dean the Machine

·
Administrator
12,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Breedt just makes a few car parts on the side, its not their main focus as a shop so not going through patents is understandable.

Torque solutions is still a douchebag company.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wish they would have lowered the ball stud attachment point. That would have solved a problem with the original design and made it there own.

·
Vendor
3,279 Posts
The problem with patents is they are really expensive. So for an inexpensive product it's not worth it.

This is true x100000. There are so many direct knock-offs of our parts online and legally there is pretty much nothing to do about it. However it also doesn't make sense to patent something if the sales from it will never outweigh the patent cost.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
This is a huge problem in the R/C world as well, American company's spend tons of time and money on R&D just to have it ripped off and sold cheaply. Team Integy is a prime example. Even with a patent they change up a couple of small details and get away with it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think Breedt was the first to offer the symposer delete plate as well. Other companies copied that as well. However, I believe other companies tapped it as a vacuum source before Breedt offered the tapped plates. I think competition in products is good. It is up to us if we want to buy from douchy companies or not. I think we are lucky overall. Lots of good vendors with good products.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
They still have a webstore, and it still has their shift arms.

I never liked Torque solutions to begin with, and if in fact they copied the Breedt, now I truly loathe them as a company.
Other's have been copying off of other people's design for years, its the American way.
If you get sued for it, the action makes you even more American. Because you can't spell Murica with out "give me you're F****** money you dirtbag."

·
Premium Member
13,924 Posts
I think Breedt was the first to offer the symposer delete plate as well. Other companies copied that as well. However, I believe other companies tapped it as a vacuum source before Breedt offered the tapped plates. I think competition in products is good. It is up to us if we want to buy from douchy companies or not. I think we are lucky overall. Lots of good vendors with good products.

A product like the delete plate is hard not to copy one design. There are only so many ways to do it. Kinda like a down pipe. There up to now were three different shift arms. Breedt, Mountune and JBR. All three had different designs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I met Craig (corsair) who works at Breedt at a meet we had at Cobb Surgeline a couple of years ago. He is a unique dude. He is an entrepreneur type, who happens to be an excellent machinist. He bought a fost, and wanted to improve it. He did the shift arm, symposer delete, and the intake manifold amongst other stuff. He then bought a fist, and made stuff for that. He is one talented dude. I bought my shift knob from him as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts