Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Detailed DIY Install of ZL1 Mud Guards

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  TooleShed 
#1 · (Edited)
After researching which mud flaps sounded best for me, I landed on the ZL1 Mud Guards.
I didn't want the Rally Armor look so these were the perfect solution for me.

I noticed there were some threads here and elsewhere that briefly went over installation, but nothing in detail...
So I decided to post a full installation of fronts and rears with photos of every step!
To clarify, this is on a facelifted 2017 model, I'm not sure if the fender wells are different for the previous models.

Here is a link these mud guards from the manufacture's website:
FOCUS 11-18 RS/ST Deluxe Rock Guards
____

Tools Needed

Let's start with tools needed and what to anticipate the guards looking like out of the box.
Image 1 is everything that comes in the box. 4 guards and the provided hardware set.
Image 2 includes:
-1/4" socket wrench
-T30 bit sock (same as under panel)
-small flat head screwdriver
-small philips head screwdriver
-hammer
-rubber mallet
-WD-40

I ONLY used the 2" screws and spacers provided in the packaging.
I also jacked the car up and removed the rear tires to make the install much, much easier.
All smooth sides of the mud guards face forward.
_

Front Guards

As many have mentioned, the front guards are easy to install. Simply pop out each of the three factory push pins then reuse them to hold the mud guards in place. I turned the wheel full clock for each side for more room to work. To remove the pins, you want to pull back the top piece first, then remove the entire pin. This reduces the chance of splitting or cracking. Using the claw of the hammer can help pry pins out (once the top piece is raised) as they can be tough to get off. Additionally, I applied WD-40 to the center of these pieces to ensure they will go back on smoothly. When reinstalling, you can use a rubber mallet to make sure the pins are fully seated.

__

Driver Side Rear

Jack the car up, remove wheel.
In the driver side rear fender well there is a bolt near the top that requires a T30 bit, this is the same bit for the under panel underneath the engine. This bolt will go through the very top hole of the mud guard. In the carpet you will need to pierce a hole with something, I chose to drive a small phillips head screwdriver through it, the carpet is not thick it'll be very easy. Once the top bolt is in, use a provided 2" screw with the attached spacer and washer for the bottom hole furthest out / closest to the road. Make sure it aligns with threading provided in the plastic behind the carpet (as it shows in the second image). The bottom hole further in the well and the remaining one in the middle get driven straight into the plastic with 2" provided screws. There is no threading for these holes, but they will drive straight into the plastic and turn taught without the need of a drill. Lower this side down after re attaching the wheel and this side is done!
__

Passenger Side Rear

Jack up this side, remove wheel.
On the passenger side rear, there are some similarities but more differences. The top bolt is the same, requires the same bit and will be used for the top hole. There are two T30 bolts in the middle section of the liner that I decided to remove and never reinstalled. Next, use a spacer and a provided 2" screw to drive it through the inner bottom hole this time. (I am 90% sure on this, but if you look under, you will see which side has the provided threading). On the other side, drive a 2" screw into the plastic. In the middle section, this one is different in that there is space between the guard and the carpet, use a spacer here and drive this screw into the plastic.
Lower the jack after reattaching this wheel and you are all done!

Here is the finished product (one side of it anyway as I am limited to 10 uploaded pictures):

Hope this helps anyone out there experiencing trouble installing these!
Feel free to ask questions in the thread if you need any further clarifying.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks! Yeah the rears needed some creative thinking. Yours look great on the red paint.

#4 ·
I waited a little while on mine too haha, let us know how it goes!

#16 ·
You got it! Haha. Lookin good!

Reactions: Oldandintheway
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.