awesome thanks guys ... the t clamps actually came with it =D

·
Registered
294 Posts
they are 35lbs maybe not exact but close

·
Registered
294 Posts
Dudes the stock bolt /nut securing was the hardest part your write up was great thanks it's in and its a beast !!! Freaking only a 1-2 degree rise its a great piece :D

·
Registered
4 Posts

Nice work and write up.
I have the same problem with my bumper after I installed the IC the plastic piece that located in front of the intercooler (I don't know what it called:confused:) became wavy.. Anyone know a solution?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just installed my Beast yesterday and all fit perfectly. Only thing I needed to buy extra was the nuts that go on the bottom bolts like mentioned earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Got mine installed this weekend. This write up was a big help. I used 2 stainless grade 8 M6 x 40mm hex cap screws and stainless washers to replace the stock inter cooler bolts. I threaded them in from the top and used combined wobble extensions and a 7mm ball end hex key to tighten via the headlight channel. It worked very easily considering there really isn't much room to work behind the FMIC. I had to 2 jack stands and some boards to support the FMIC while I bolted it in as I was installing alone. All in all about a 3 hour job from start to finish for me but I was taking my time and had to work in some tight areas of the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got mine installed this weekend. This write up was a big help. I used 2 stainless grade 8 M6 x 40mm hex cap screws and stainless washers to replace the stock inter cooler bolts. I threaded them in from the top and used combined wobble extensions and a 7mm ball end hex key to tighten via the headlight channel. It worked very easily considering there really isn't much room to work behind the FMIC. I had to 2 jack stands and some boards to support the FMIC while I bolted it in as I was installing alone. All in all about a 3 hour job from start to finish for me but I was taking my time and had to work in some tight areas of the garage.
Lol. It took me 3 days with no instructions and missing/broken pieces. 3 hours is a great deal better. Im still very happy with my purchase. Did you go with the T clamps i mentioned or did the FMIC come with them? Ive not had 1 issue with mine.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Lol. It took me 3 days with no instructions and missing/broken pieces. 3 hours is a great deal better. Im still very happy with my purchase. Did you go with the T clamps i mentioned or did the FMIC come with them? Ive not had 1 issue with mine.
I have T-Bolts with my charge pipes. but have not put them in yet. I'm going to replace them when I do the charge pipes. I didn't have time to dig around by the TB and everything when i installed I was on the clock had to be somewhere in the afternoon.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Already...just an Fyi but if you are stock turbo then changing your charge pipes will bring you no gains. There is a long post floating around about the lack of benefits.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Already...just an Fyi but if you are stock turbo then changing your charge pipes will bring you no gains. There is a long post floating around about the lack of benefits.
I know that for now but big turbo might be in the future so for a few hundred I will upgrade them just to be sure they're ready to go when she is.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Alrighty. Good luck on that. Im sure the depo intercooler will be a great addition to an BT upgrade.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thanks. Have only driven it a few miles since but Charge temps were 3* above ambient and stayed there. Actually declined during WOT pulls. Then I had to wash and wax because I have to work all week and she's going to Carlisle for the Ford Nationals Friday.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This guide was pretty helpful for me however, if you follow it there are some issues with the 2015. The first, and major issue that actually caused me to redo everything is that if you assemble the intercooler right away it won't fit onto the 2015 properly. At first, I just tried to undo the bottoms and lift it into place but the top smacks the bumper beam making it literally impossible. There isn't enough clearance below the bumper beam for the top to get onto the hooks on the top and the bottoms to lay ON TOP of the plastic mount supports like in the printout that's provided. I put mine together following this guide and was about to put my bumper cover back on when I started to question the way I put the bottoms on, so I went back and checked the paper. The bottom supports are supposed to rest ON TOP of the stock plastic intercooler supports. I fixed this by removing the top hooks of the intercooler and lifted it onto my car and screwed in the bottoms and then assembled the top hooks around the support while still on the car. There's very little clearance, and I was getting super mad trying to get around everything while bugs were biting the **** out of me.

The second issue is you can't really get to the nuts the way Jdub did with the extender. You can get a socket on them partially and it's well enough to tighten them but it's very hard to get secure them completely. The bottoms are incredibly hard to reach, I just dropped the screw in from the top and threaded the nut on from the bottom because trying to do it the other way was pissing me off. I put a dab of loctite on the threads so hopefully it doesn't back itself off. I honestly don't know if there is a difference between screwing it onto the bottom or the top but for my ocd, I had to do it by the picture. I don't want a 38lb intercooler dropping out of the front of my car one day while I'm going 70 down a back road.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
This guide was pretty helpful for me however, if you follow it there are some issues with the 2015. The first, and major issue that actually caused me to redo everything is that if you assemble the intercooler right away it won't fit onto the 2015 properly. At first, I just tried to undo the bottoms and lift it into place but the top smacks the bumper beam making it literally impossible. There isn't enough clearance below the bumper beam for the top to get onto the hooks on the top and the bottoms to lay ON TOP of the plastic mount supports like in the printout that's provided. I put mine together following this guide and was about to put my bumper cover back on when I started to question the way I put the bottoms on, so I went back and checked the paper. The bottom supports are supposed to rest ON TOP of the stock plastic intercooler supports. I fixed this by removing the top hooks of the intercooler and lifted it onto my car and screwed in the bottoms and then assembled the top hooks around the support while still on the car. There's very little clearance, and I was getting super mad trying to get around everything while bugs were biting the **** out of me.

The second issue is you can't really get to the nuts the way Jdub did with the extender. You can get a socket on them partially and it's well enough to tighten them but it's very hard to get secure them completely. The bottoms are incredibly hard to reach, I just dropped the screw in from the top and threaded the nut on from the bottom because trying to do it the other way was pissing me off. I put a dab of loctite on the threads so hopefully it doesn't back itself off. I honestly don't know if there is a difference between screwing it onto the bottom or the top but for my ocd, I had to do it by the picture. I don't want a 38lb intercooler dropping out of the front of my car one day while I'm going 70 down a back road.
If a moderator would let me change the title to 2013-14 in the title that would great.

When i wrote this the 15 wasnt out yet. I had heard that something was different about the 15 so i guess this is one of those things. Glad you got it installed, when i did the install there was no guide and this is the only car ive ever done this level of maintenance on so needless to say, but i wasnt very mechanically inclined prior to my ownership. I did my best with the tools i had on hand.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here are some quick and dirty pics, it's night so they might be hard to see, I will try to explain them better.

If you assemble the intercooler first and lift it onto the car you can get it onto the top hooks and to lay flush with the bottom of the lower supports. If you try to lay it on top of the bottom supports and then put it on the hooks, you can't. If you put it over the hooks and then try to lift it higher and angle it onto the top of the bottom supports you hit this right here (red squares in the pic). Like I wrote above, my solution was to assemble the top part of the intercooler while it was on the car, you can use a long extension to reach the screws from the side and use a wrench on the inside to hold the nut tight

2015-08-10 21.47.50.jpg

This is what it SHOULD look like according to the crude image I received in the box. Previously, I had the bottom part underneath the plastic because that was the only way it would go on.

2015-08-10 21.48.03.jpg

Lastly, don't loctite **** unless you're 100% positive you did everything right. I was legit crying trying to get those hard to reach nuts off as they spun on themself because I couldn't get a good grip on them. A real FML moment.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I just did mine on my 15 and I like the OP left the intercooler brackets before the stock plastic tabs, I had no issues whats so ever and just used longer bolts and nuts to replace the u clamps, took maybe 2 hours total and is very sturdy. I also added foam to insulate the intercooler and keep it in place better. I cant see it really making much of a difference whether it is mounted on top or below, honestly the thing is massive and if its going to break it will most likey break the plastic no matter which way it is mounted.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I just did mine on my 15 and I like the OP left the intercooler brackets before the stock plastic tabs, I had no issues whats so ever and just used longer bolts and nuts to replace the u clamps, took maybe 2 hours total and is very sturdy. I also added foam to insulate the intercooler and keep it in place better. I cant see it really making much of a difference whether it is mounted on top or below, honestly the thing is massive and if its going to break it will most likey break the plastic no matter which way it is mounted.
Louisiana has absolutely terrible roads. My intercooler hasnt budged since installing it over a year ago. I did have a charge pipe blow off about 2 months ago but i believe that my vibrations from the rmm caused the nut to back off.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yeah I dont expected mine to be a problem either, but I was considering maybe just for piece of mind, to use some quick steel and made a strong bond between that lower mount since I never plan on removing the intercooler.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts