Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short I should have got the depo in the fall but family stuff came up. Anyways just hit on a scratchy so ordered up the son of a beast. Any other parts I need to pic up to make install goes easy, have to wait on charge pipes

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
So long story short I should have got the depo in the fall but family stuff came up. Anyways just hit on a scratchy so ordered up the son of a beast. Any other parts I need to pic up to make install goes easy, have to wait on charge pipes
Well most people switch to T-bolt clamps, but if you do a good job with tightening the OEM clamps you will be fine. I suggest replacing their **** hardware with some Stainless Steel, also painting their brackets, they are uncoated and rust like nobodies business. Also have a file with you when you go to install. Their welds sometimes go into the bracket mounting area, so removing some of the material is necessary. I'd antiseize the MAP sensor bolt, make sure the O-ring stayed on it from removal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well most people switch to T-bolt clamps, but if you do a good job with tightening the OEM clamps you will be fine. I suggest replacing their **** hardware with some Stainless Steel, also painting their brackets, they are uncoated and rust like nobodies business. Also have a file with you when you go to install. Their welds sometimes go into the bracket mounting area, so removing some of the material is necessary. I'd antiseize the MAP sensor bolt, make sure the O-ring stayed on it from removal.
Can u get T-bolt clamps from a site or is that a simple auto parts run all other stuff is simple enough

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
Can u get T-bolt clamps from a site or is that a simple auto parts run all other stuff is simple enough
You can get them from your LAPS, I order mine off amazon, full stainless steel. Because I am obsessed with not having **** rust away. Lmao

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get them from your LAPS, I order mine off amazon, full stainless steel. Because I am obsessed with not having **** rust away. Lmao
What did they run u? How many do you need, prob won't install for a few months?

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
Just two for now, iirc like 7 bucks each, I forget. I buy way too much stuff with no real regards to pricing, just buy what I need, lol

Reactions: STSnail

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Just two for now, iirc like 7 bucks each, I forget. I buy way too much stuff with no real regards to pricing, just buy what I need, lol
There is a nice hardware store down the street when I get the intercooler in I will replace all hardware with stainless I like that idea. Would u say less than 50 bucks for all hardware and t bolt clamps?

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
There is a nice hardware store down the street when I get the intercooler in I will replace all hardware with stainless I like that idea. Would u say less than 50 bucks for all hardware and t bolt clamps?
More like 25 bucks-ish. Yep.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just installed my 3.5 this past weekend. Wish I knew about painting the brackets, anti-seizing the MAP bolt, or switching to stainless items before I installed . Hmmm.....don't really want to under everything I already did. Also, I will second the t bolt clamps. The initial ones I got were too big so had to reuse the stockers. I was told to tighten the crap out of them. However, mine are now acting stripped and will no longer tighten without making a popping sound and going back to loose. So I have more t bolts on the way from the amazons.

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
Just installed my 3.5 this past weekend. Wish I knew about painting the brackets, anti-seizing the MAP bolt, or switching to stainless items before I installed . Hmmm.....don't really want to under everything I already did. Also, I will second the t bolt clamps. The initial ones I got were too big so had to reuse the stockers. I was told to tighten the crap out of them. However, mine are now acting stripped and will no longer tighten without making a popping sound and going back to loose. So I have more t bolts on the way from the amazons.
Well, you could have asked, lmao!

When in doubt, find someone who has installed the parts. I myself have installed a ton of different ST parts, and have all sorts of tips, tricks, and mods.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, you could have asked, lmao!

When in doubt, find someone who has installed the parts. I myself have installed a ton of different ST parts, and have all sorts of tips, tricks, and mods.
I tried to research all the threads about the install. Never saw anything about rust issues on the brackets or replacing the bolts with SS. I thought I also read that the brackets were done in aluminum now and not steel? When I get my T Bolt clamps, I will see if I can get to the brackets without pulling off the entire bumper. I really don't want to tear it all apart again just for a 2 minute paint job haha. Since you said ask...I asked in another thread but will ask it here too. In the Beast install guide, it appeared that the lower bracket was placed under the plastic tab with the bolt going in through the bottom with nut on top. My 3.5, I put on top of the bracket with the bolt coming down through the top and nut on bottom. Do you see that as a potential issue?

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
I tried to research all the threads about the install. Never saw anything about rust issues on the brackets or replacing the bolts with SS. I thought I also read that the brackets were done in aluminum now and not steel? When I get my T Bolt clamps, I will see if I can get to the brackets without pulling off the entire bumper. I really don't want to tear it all apart again just for a 2 minute paint job haha. Since you said ask...I asked in another thread but will ask it here too. In the Beast install guide, it appeared that the lower bracket was placed under the plastic tab with the bolt going in through the bottom with nut on top. My 3.5, I put on top of the bracket with the bolt coming down through the top and nut on bottom. Do you see that as a potential issue?
I dont think it would be, I'd have to investigate some pictures to know for sure, but if you got it back together, then it cant be that bad, lmao!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dont think it would be, I'd have to investigate some pictures to know for sure, but if you got it back together, then it cant be that bad, lmao!!
Fair enough! haha

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Fair enough! haha
Just keep an eye in the rear view mirror just in case...
At least the undertray and the charge pipes help hold the intercooler in place pretty snug. Lost the undertray and suddenly it might be a little excessive weight for the charge pipes to hold alone if those bolts came loose. Odds are though you're perfectly fine :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
At least the undertray and the charge pipes help hold the intercooler in place pretty snug. Lost the undertray and suddenly it might be a little excessive weight for the charge pipes to hold alone if those bolts came loose. Odds are though you're perfectly fine :cool:
Sheet happens... haha

·
Registered
73 Posts
Honestly, it seemed like doing it my way, the weight is on the tab instead of the nut being on the top side. Made sense to me. Hell, I even contemplated hooking the top bracket up and over the AGS support instead of under it like everyone else (WAY more secure that way). Only problem I saw with that was losing an inch or so of intercooler up and behind the crash bar...so opted to go with everyone else's mounting point haha

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Honestly, it seemed like doing it my way, the weight is on the tab instead of the nut being on the top side. Made sense to me. Hell, I even contemplated hooking the top bracket up and over the AGS support instead of under it like everyone else (WAY more secure that way). Only problem I saw with that was losing an inch or so of intercooler up and behind the crash bar...so opted to go with everyone else's mounting point haha
I've NEVER heard of an intercooler coming loose...so either:

A- You're fine

or

B- You will be the first which is cool, right? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts