Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing my 3.5 inch Depo Intercooler today and I have two questions.

How tight should I make my T-Bolt clamps on the hot and cold pipes?

Theirs a small gap of play where the top mounts mount against the vehicle allowing the intercooler to wiggle a little. Should I be worried about this? What are some things I can do to fill that gap and eliminate the wiggle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a similar wiggle with my cpe 3.5 inch, ended up finding some of those little rubber/foam feet you might put under a chair leg and it took 2 stacked on each side to make it snug and not feel like it would rock back and forth with big bumps.

I tightened my t bolt clamps pretty tight, hard to say for sure, was using a 3/8 drive ratchet, didn’t give it all I got, but tight enough that the hose was noticeably compressing under the clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a similar wiggle with my cpe 3.5 inch, ended up finding some of those little rubber/foam feet you might put under a chair leg and it took 2 stacked on each side to make it snug and not feel like it would rock back and forth with big bumps.

I tightened my t bolt clamps pretty tight, hard to say for sure, was using a 3/8 drive ratchet, didn’t give it all I got, but tight enough that the hose was noticeably compressing under the clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I really appreciate the idea. I'll make sure to buy some of those feet. By the way, I also have a Kona Blue Focus ST.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I finished installing my 3.5 inch Depo Intercooler today and I have two questions.

Theirs a small gap of play where the top mounts mount against the vehicle allowing the intercooler to wiggle a little. Should I be worried about this? What are some things I can do to fill that gap and eliminate the wiggle.
Tighter than you think, also use some hairspray. Since you have it installed already it will be hard to fit anything in there to stop the little bit of rattle, i regret not putting some thin foam in there before i hung it on those mounts, but i dont ever hear any tapping sounds over the engine noise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think I could put some RTV Silicone between the intercooler and the mounts to fill the gap?

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
61 Posts
Do you think I could put some RTV Silicone between the intercooler and the mounts to fill the gap?
Personally I wouldn't use RTV there. Find some rubber bushings or make something out of shock absorbent materiel (rubber preferably). The RTV will just squish out as it dries, and messy. Ace hardware would be your friend here.

·
Registered
170 Posts

4th post for t-bolt tightening

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
102 Posts
I used hair spray and oem clamps since the t-clamps I hadn't arrived yet and I'm impatient. Haven't had any issue. Hairspray ftw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts