Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 2013+ Focus ST features a gargantuan pair of counter rotating steel shafts driven by the crankshaft. This unit is designed to smooth out engine vibrations, however it adds not only considerable weight to the front of the vehicle, but adds tremendous mass to the rotating assembly. Removing this unit allows the engine to rev much freer, akin to adding a lightweight flywheel. Remember, the sooner a turbo car gets into boost, the more fun you're going to have. Of course your ALSO transmitting MORE horsepower to the wheels by reducing parasitic drag!

Massive offers this direct fit kit to delete this balance shaft assembly for the 2010+ Ford Ecoboost 2.0 Duratec motor, found of course in your 2013+ Focus ST.

Removes an astonishing 19 POUNDS off the front of your car and from your rotating assembly!!!

No ill effect to engine balance. Massive has been manufacturing this Duratec / MZR system since 2007 with millions of miles recorded with zero issue.

Manufactured IN HOUSE at Massive Speed’s headquarters right here in the USA !!! Massive’s exclusive ALL lightweight 6061 Aluminum construction offers identical expansion rates to the OE aluminum block for improved seal. Anodized Massive PURPLE and laser engraved with Massive logo. Blue Flourosilicone O Ring offers superior longevity to regular buna materials used by competitors. Hardened grade 12.9 fine pitch bolt and washer for the ultimate in strength. Includes neccesary Loc Tite.

[highlight]Just $34.99!!![/highlight]

Find it Here

· Registered
3,209 Posts
Most of us have been waiting on a baffle kit - mostly in hopes that we don't have to start putting almost (allegedly) 7qts of oil in with that new free space. JBR makes a delete kit, but no baffle... do you guys have any plans?

· The Mod with a Mouth
9,492 Posts
Most of us have been waiting on a baffle kit - mostly in hopes that we don't have to start putting almost (allegedly) 7qts of oil in with that new free space. JBR makes a delete kit, but no baffle... do you guys have any plans?
You will only need a baffle plate installed if you plan on tracking your car. JBR has already stated that they wont be offering a baffle kit unless you really want one. He doesnt see a need.

If you AutoX or track race your car then ask OCD or JBR and they will oblige you :)

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ Correct. We do offer baffle kits for 2.3 and 2.0 Foci already, and we have definitely thought about it for the ST. But it would most certainly NOT be for some kind of oil capacity reduction, it would be to prevent oil starvation in high G situations.

Having a greater oil capacity is a GOOD thing. Stays cleaner longer, wont heat up as quickly and leaves more oil in the pan also staving off starvation.

Instructions can be found here: Install Instructions Forum

Honestly, and HOUR job, tops. The hardest part is scraping off the old RTV silicone on the pan.

· Registered
3,209 Posts
Let me put it this way - I plan on tracking the car. I asked JBR about the baffle kit, he blew me off, so what can you guys do for me?

I'd really like to take the pan off, yank the BS, install the plug, install the baffle, and not touch it again.

· The Mod with a Mouth
9,492 Posts
Let me put it this way - I plan on tracking the car. I asked JBR about the baffle kit, he blew me off, so what can you guys do for me?

I'd really like to take the pan off, yank the BS, install the plug, install the baffle, and not touch it again.

That is strange, he got back to me within a few days and offered to build one if that was what i really wanted.

· The Mod with a Mouth
9,492 Posts
Yeah, I sent an email saying "hey, I noticed you did this for the MS3, what are your plans for the ST" and his response was "...we don't have a kit as of yet"
and you replied.......

· Registered
2,078 Posts
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Car

This is old 2.0L Zetec motor - runs about $100

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor

More complex system, consisting of baffles and trap doors can run into $350 or so range.

Crank scraper, baffles & trapdoor setup was worth about 20hp on dyno w SRT-4 ! side bonus, very robust oil control system.

Auto part Automotive engine part

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks like the Ishihara-Johnson crank scraper setup. USed that on a few Zetecs.

We've noted the apparent interest for an ST specific baffle, and will put that in the (ever expanding) list of things to research!!! :D

But really - this mod is EASY. CHEAP. And works. Dropping the pan twice is not a real chore.

· The Mod with a Mouth
9,492 Posts
what is the 'baffle' for?
if i don't have it in then the oil would overflood when turn hard?
It prevents the oil from being pushed to one side of the pan during high G turns and starving the pickup of oil.

· Registered
898 Posts
what is the 'baffle' for?
if i don't have it in then the oil would overflood when turn hard?
It doesn't flood over, when you turn hard in either direction, or accelerate/brake hard, the oil moves away from the pick-up, essentially starving your engine of oil. This is bad. A baffle system keeps oil trapped around the pickup, so that this doesn't happen.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.