Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good news man. I'm glad you held your ground (& that the value of the car went up! hehe).
I keep getting offers for mine... Not a chance!

Yes, keep us posted (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well I purchased the ST2. It's weird how the first ST I had nothing to compare, so it was all just good fun and learning. Now there are things I constantly wonder about in comparison to the old car. Still getting to know it, and have not fully cleaned and detailed everything yet.

Observations so far...the good.
~I love the Sony sound system compared to the ST1. I am not looking for car stereo competition sound, I know the Sony is not loved by audiophiles, but the ST1 sound system was pretty subpar compared to the rest of the car. That a plus.
~First ever sunroof, the novelty may wear off, but I dig it.
~The HID lights are really interesting, had fun driving around a parking lot watching the beams move with the steering. At the ends when the inboard light goes further than the outboard I picture a lizard, I'm easily amused. They are a bit out of alignment, with one being higher than the other. there are aiming specs in the manual, so I need to do that.
~The ST 2 Seats are cool, I hope the leather holds up. Definitely a different seating angle, the bottom of the seat tilts back more than the ST1 for sure. More on that later.
~Has WeatherTech mats all around, including trunk. Always considered a set, now I have a set. I like the Focus branded rubber sets better for looks. I snagged them from the old car before I left, so I will use those in summer, WT's in winter. They did keep the interior clean though.
~Has pretty dark tint all around. It is well done. I would likely have not spent $$ to have it done, but I like it.
~Car is very stock, all the way to the sound symposer. Does not appear to have been messed with at all. That was what I originally wanted, but was so new to ST;s that I had no idea my first one had a CPE FMIC, oil cooler, catch can, and symposer delete until after I brought it home and changed the oil.
~Call me crazy, I like the sound from the symposer. I always wondered what the difference was, now I know. Makes just enough interior noise to help with "shifts by ear" to me.

Observations so far...the less good.
~Right off at the dealership I noticed it had a few more stone chips than mine. To be expected, my St1 was a 7000 mile car when I got it last year. This car is clean, but based on amount of dirt in water runoff areas of hood and trunk, it lived outside. I am gradually detailing it back to as clean as the St1 was. The paint itself is nice, not scratched or swirled. I do not think paint correction, other than chips will be needed. I am looking into the best option for touch up paint currently. Rare color, not much in the way of reviews from color code FT users.
~One door ding, passenger side, pretty noticeable. Again, tough to see after owning a perfect car. Dealer will reimburse me for PDR of it, just need to find a place I trust.
~Wheels, two of them have some noticeable nicks to the paint, but not near the typical road rash rim. These are in on the spokes. Looks like one of the wheels someone attacked with a lug wrench. Chips go down to a black primer it appears. For now I found that my spray bomb of "cast blast" is a good color match to touch up using a brush. Will dab some clear on them when I take them off and let that cure up and sand/buff/polish. Hopefully it will be "good enough" for now but I will be keeping an eye out for orphaned Rado gray flakes.
~ST2 seat, drives side has a creak. It is really slight. At first I thought it was the clutch, but it is my body shifting in the seat causing it to creak on the mounts. This is documented in several places. If it gets worse, I'll be removing the seat and looking into further.
~After driving a couple days I noticed the ugly clips on the aftermarket wipers that stare back at me. They bothered me, so I ordered Motorcraft replacements on Amazon. I'm crazy.

Crazy Stuff you do after losing a car you love and replacing it
Lots of "was the old car like this"...such as.
~I spent the whole ride home wondering if the car smelled funny. Made my wife and kids smell it. My son had the best reply "It does snot smell bad, it smells cleaner". Likely the dealer ran some detail air freshening sprat through it. After a couple weeks now I do not notice anything.

~I noticed some torque steer on the old car at times, for sure getting on it in second as the turbo spooled up. I notice it less in this car. That is good, right? No, now I am wondering if this car is down on power!? Was my old car actually gaining power from the CPE intercooler and (supposedly) no tune? Who knows. Would I pay to run this car against my old car pre-accident, YES! I really do not need a tuned car. I am middle age, and half of the time I drive this car my son and one of his baseball teammates are in the car. I am not doing repetitive long pulls, or tracking it, so I think the stock IC is fine. One daily full send highway ramp entry (after oil temp is up of course) from 25 to 85 is about all it gets, and the occasional 60 to 80 passing maneuver is the bulk of my aggressive driving. I appreciate the handling and braking (being a 72 Mach 1 owner as well) much more than the acceleration, which is more than needed. I do think that the seats may be playing into this. I have found at times I am going off of my ankle deflection, and what was close to floored in the old car is not in this car, because the ST2 seat is forcing my knees upward more than the ST1 was. I don't know. Once the mind suspects you have less power though, it is hard to shake.

~Old car had Eagle F1 tires, almost to the wear strips at 7,000 miles. New car has Eagle F1's also, wear level is almost identical at 29,000 miles. How long are you guys getting from the factory Eagles? Second set on this car? Did original owner of my old ST1 hoon the hell out of it? As cool as the larger IC and oil cooler were, you don't do that to drive kids to baseball. I dunno.

~Ecomode? I never saw this menu or the leaves on my St1. Is this an ST2 doo-dad only?

~Need to stop looking on Autotrader.com. At least two cars that I would have strongly considered have popped up for a better deal than the one I bought. Once is a low mileage 17 in Kona blue for a hell of a good price. Anyone near Waterford MI should go check it out. I need to be happy that I was able to purchase an St2 to replace my ST1 and still have around 1K left over and move on.

Stuff to do.
~Keep cleaning the car. Rims need to come off to clean the back (nobody ever cleaned back there it appears), and detail the brakes. May paint the calipers Rado gray to make them easier to maintain. Not into bright painted cast stockers.
~I have some $$ left. I think I will add a catch can system for longevity. Old car had a Damond Stage 1, maybe go Stage 3. Old car had a K&N filter, appears to be no clear consensus on paper over aftermarket. Will hold some money back for either refinishing my snowflakes or finding a good replacement.
~Get over the whole ordeal and just enjoy owning a pretty nice ST2!

Into the driveway after the drive home, a pic before it went in the garage. Both my ST's drove home in the rain. The first one from Chicago to Ohio, this one only had to come from an hour away.

Odd places for wheel chips.....

Thanks if you read this far. It was a therapeutic post!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,507 Posts
The wheel chips are common on rado grey wheels, they're very brittle coatings. Those chips would be from rocks and debris.

The eagle tires don't Normally last more than 10 or 12k miles, obviously Subjective to how hard they were run.

As far as the torque steer, you absolutely notice a difference on a stock car when you install an intercooler. It's not that you're gaining horsepower, it's that you're not losing it.

Also, the bulk of your ownership of your st1 including up to the deer hit was in colder months here in Ohio. The weather has gotten terrible For performance the last week. It's a frustrating Time to be tuning A new turbo.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
~Old car had Eagle F1 tires, almost to the wear strips at 7,000 miles. New car has Eagle F1's also, wear level is almost identical at 29,000 miles. How long are you guys getting from the factory Eagles? Second set on this car? Did original owner of my old ST1 hoon the hell out of it?
My OEM Eagle F1s were on the car for 5000 miles and 137 autox runs before I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and also began using dedicated sets of rims & tires for autox. The Eagles are still in my garage with 70% tread depth (or about 55% to the wear bars), so... I think most people were getting 10k-15k miles out of their Eagles and your ST2 is probably on a second or third set.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Observations so far...the less good.
~Right off at the dealership I noticed it had a few more stone chips than mine. To be expected, my St1 was a 7000 mile car when I got it last year. This car is clean, but based on amount of dirt in water runoff areas of hood and trunk, it lived outside. I am gradually detailing it back to as clean as the St1 was. The paint itself is nice, not scratched or swirled. I do not think paint correction, other than chips will be needed. I am looking into the best option for touch up paint currently. Rare color, not much in the way of reviews from color code FT users.
Check Automotivetouchup.com
They have spot on colors.

Reactions: gemery and Glider90

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,227 Posts
Congrats on the new (to you) light blue metallic ST2. Glad you were able to find another one.

As far as the F1s go, the previous owner of my car burnt off 3-4/32nds in its first 7K miles. It took me another 20K+ miles to wear them down another 3/32nds and now I'm replacing them with Indy 500's. So yeah, the stock F1s got around 27K miles of life before they were to 4/32 of tread. I'm easy on tires....

As far as the intercooler goes, like TurboGT said, you'll not be losing power with an aftermarket FMIC like you will with the stock unit. So, it's not surprising it's not torque steering as much.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sounds like a very nice ride. I'm very happy you were able to replace oranges with (blue) oranges, lol.
Yeah, my stock tires (new off the dealership lot on this ST) were gone in 5k miles. I was pissed!!! Then again, FWD likes to ruin tires. I had them replaced, but after they wore out again before 10k miles I just upgraded to the Michelin's (Pilot Sport AS/3+). I'm now at 30.5k miles and put on some fresh Michelin AS 4's (not 4S, the regular all seasons). Still had a few k before they needed swapped, but I have 2 extra wheels & mounted the better 2 on them (other 2 are for ridiculous projects for a 2 year old, lol).

So, Welcome Back! =-D

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM, JBR SS Arm, 245/40R18
1,177 Posts
Congrats! 👍😎

I put hose clamps on the bar under my driver's seat next to the stock inadequate ones to keep my seat from shifting. Nobody sees under there anyways. I had some the right size already and didn't have to take the seat out to install. Don't use clamps with a lot of free end or you may forget when you clean it and get scratched or cut.

Put laminix or headlight armour on the headlights if they still look good.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Glad to hear you landed right side up. Do an intercooler, it's an easy mod, not overly expensive, and helps protect your car indirectly by keeping your IATs down. If you want to swap filters AEM makes a dry filter that is minimal maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Congrats. Glad to see you back. And the turny lights never get old. Much fun at night and they really make a difference going through the curvy tree tunnel roads around here.

I 2nd the FMIC. 25 to 85 had my IATs climbing over 100° on warmer days.

Reactions: Glider90

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,227 Posts
I 2nd the FMIC. 25 to 85 had my IATs climbing over 100° on warmer days.
Here in the Denver area when it was 95 degrees and I was still on the stock intercooler, I'd see intake temps climb to 150+ degrees when I was getting on it in 3rd. It would take several miles to even cool back down to the 120s. Sitting in traffic was awful, too, at it would climb to 130 or so just sitting there.

My intake temps are seldom more than 5 degrees over ambient now with the ESP intercooler when I'm hammering on it in 3rd/4th. Huge difference.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM, JBR SS Arm, 245/40R18
1,177 Posts
Congrats! 👍😎

I put hose clamps on the bar under my driver's seat next to the stock inadequate ones to keep my seat from shifting. Nobody sees under there anyways. I had some the right size already and didn't have to take the seat out to install. Don't use clamps with a lot of free end or you may forget when you clean it and get scratched or cut.

Put laminix or headlight armour on the headlights if they still look good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Finally getting to know the car. Spent several evenings detailing areas of the car that were overlooked by previous owner. Removed the wheels to clean and polish 29,000 miles of brake dust from the backs, and a bunch of nastiness from all four inner finder liners. Put ford OEM wipers on. Had two small dings pulled by a great local paintless dent remover. All I need now is the paint to arrive to touch up a few stone chips and I think I am ready to start researching Intercoolers. Appreciate the support of the community here.

·
Registered
2016 ST3 Race Red
32 Posts
Congrats for the amazingly great post. You detailed description of the seconds before, during and after the hit are valuable experience that us all can learn and make us better drivers. Not necessarily it will prevent us to in an unlucky situation face the same outcome, but certainly can make us more aware and less probable to be involved in an accident like this.

Now every time I see a dead animal on the shoulder I low down as that might be a place with more animals there.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts