Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
The dealer finance guy tried to talk me and wife into a 3 yr maintenance plan added into the loan...

Wife asks fin guy "How much is being added to the loan?' She totally beat me to it.

Finance Guy says: "650, but it covers everything over those 3 years"

Wife looks at me "You already ordered oil and filter for the first change, didn't you?"

I add "and air filter, torx bit set, low profile jack, oil filter magnet, clay bar kit, wax..."

Wife: "Let's skip that then."

To think of all the fun I missed at the dealership...

Reactions: oldloudmouth

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
The dealer finance guy tried to talk me and wife into a 3 yr maintenance plan added into the loan...

Wife asks fin guy "How much is being added to the loan?' She totally beat me to it.

Finance Guy says: "650, but it covers everything over those 3 years"

Wife looks at me "You already ordered oil and filter for the first change, didn't you?"

I add "and air filter, torx bit set, low profile jack, oil filter magnet, clay bar kit, wax..."

Wife: "Let's skip that then."

To think of all the fun I missed at the dealership...
All the scratches, wrong weight oil, improper oil amount, overtightened filters, stripped bolts/nuts, dirt/mud/smudges, hassle, etc you missed...a shame really. Lol

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
So i'm guessing out of all this, you will never take you're cars to dealerships; but maybe try reputable mechanics from different shops. Do some research online(OMG YOU GOTTA GO A THING!!) and once you think you found a place with a great price, go check it out before you take the car. Peek in the garage to see what cars they are working on and notice how clean OR messy the shop is. Make your decision....
My two dollhairs, take it as a grain of salt, or a chunk of cement.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I change my oil at work. Probably my sixth or seventh oil change I did I grabbed a box of 5 20 synthetic and started adding oil (almost all fords Ive owned take 5 20) about 3 quarts in I see 5 30 on my oil cap and remembered (oh yea this thing takes 5 30) so I put the 20 back and grabbed 3 quarts of 30 and finished adding oil. Thats right I mixed them. And you know what? Nothing happened. Also just because work order sheets have a specific weight of oil on them doesnt mean thats what the tech actually put in the vehicle.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I change my oil at work. Probably my sixth or seventh oil change I did I grabbed a box of 5 20 synthetic and started adding oil (almost all fords Ive owned take 5 20) about 3 quarts in I see 5 30 on my oil cap and remembered (oh yea this thing takes 5 30) so I put the 20 back and grabbed 3 quarts of 30 and finished adding oil. Thats right I mixed them. And you know what? Nothing happened. Also just because work order sheets have a specific weight of oil on them doesnt mean thats what the tech actually put in the vehicle.
There are several flaws in your post here. 1) what kind of insane, lunatic, insensitive mad man are you that you can live with yourself after mixing oil like that? (OK, that one was a joke, lol). But seriously, the flaw is this...just because it doesn't bother you, just because it doesn't hurt anything (and I know it doesn't hurt a thing), and just because you don't mind doing it to your car, has ZERO bearing on it being OK for someone else or for someone else's car. "I" determine what's right for me and my car. 2) What's in the car and what's on the receipt is about attention to detail and customer satisfaction. What other method do I have to prove or show I was provided the the service and the product I requested and paid for? That's right, nothing. This whole thread is not about if the wrong weight ol will hurt anything. This entire thread is about (the lack of) attention to detail, following basic instructions, and providing customer service in the form of giving the customer what they asked and paid for.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I must be the luckiest SOB alive. When I bought my '16 ST I got two free oil changes, and I've used one so far. When I had the service done it took longer than I expected, but they checked a lot of things (if you believe what was written on the RO) and didn't mess up anything! No nasty fingerprints on the body, no grease on the carpets, and the oil level was right on the money when I checked it. :big smile:

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Don't care if it's free, I change my own oil. I would never trust the mechanics at the Ford dealership. I cringe at the thought of ever having to take my ST in for warranty work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
there are several flaws in your post here. 1) what kind of insane, lunatic, insensitive mad man are you that you can live with yourself after mixing oil like that? (ok, that one was a joke, lol). But seriously, the flaw is this...just because it doesn't bother you, just because it doesn't hurt anything (and i know it doesn't hurt a thing), and just because you don't mind doing it to your car, has zero bearing on it being ok for someone else or for someone else's car. "i" determine what's right for me and my car. 2) what's in the car and what's on the receipt is about attention to detail and customer satisfaction. What other method do i have to prove or show i was provided the the service and the product i requested and paid for? That's right, nothing. This whole thread is not about if the wrong weight ol will hurt anything. This entire thread is about (the lack of) attention to detail, following basic instructions, and providing customer service in the form of giving the customer what they asked and paid for.
bingo!!!

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I've also mixed my oils as well from time to time. 5W-30 with 10w40, its not going to hurt the car. If you drive like a mad man it still wont hurt the car, now if you put oil thats waaaay to thin or waaaaay to thick, then you you have an issue with head up ass.

When I get bored I usually have a big bowl of fruit loops with a healthy portion of 0W20 instead of milk. :crazy:

·
Registered
825 Posts
I always use the correct oil viscosity. However I DO AGREE mixing oil viscosity which are close is NO PROBLEM for the engine.
Like mixing a 5W-30 with a 10W 30.. or a 10W40.. I would say not gonna hurt anything..
Or a 0W20 with a 5W-30..

Like I wrote.. I would not do it.. But it is NOT gonna hurt the engine to do so.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST
25 Posts
Necro bumping this for the lulz. I grabbed some 5W-20 by mistake and didn't notice until I took the cap off the valve cover. Started browsing threads to see if anyone was having issues after the same mistake. Got a laugh from the guy dreading having to take his car in for warranty work. What are we on now 3-4 recalls?

Some dealers are just ****. I took mine in after I bought it in 2018 for recalls. The gas tank vacuum problem was just announced. Dealer said they'd do that one too while they had it. Only problem is the ST didn't have a fix for the recall yet. Not only did they lie stating they performed the recalls to me, they never reported the completion to Ford. I had to have the recalls done again (elsewhere) after my ST started showing symptoms of the fuel tank vacuum problem.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts