Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I got a free oil change from the dealer due to some issues with my purchase, and an attempt to get good survey results.

I took the car in Saturday, and after an hour and a half, my car was "ready".

I get my receipt and keys from the cashier, hop in the car, and off I go. While I'm sitting at the red-light, I glance over the receipt, and I notice 5qts 5W20...

So, I do a quick three point turn, and head back to the dealer. I walked back into the service department, receipt in hand, and ask the service advisor if they put 5W20 in my car. He replied, "Probably so", at which point I fought back the urge to tell him how I really felt, and said to him, "It's a turbo, it takes 5W30". He looks at me funny, walks out to the car, pops the hood, and looks at the oil cap. At this point he's shaking his head and mumbling. He gets the keys from me, and tells me "They'll have to swap it out".

Well, several minutes later, he brings me my keys and original receipt, and lets me know I'm good to go.

Once I go on the interstate, I noticed the oil pressure wasn't running straight up and down at highway speed any more...

So, to be safe, I pull off, wait a minute and check the oil level. All looks good there, so at least they got that part right.

At this point, I figure they didn't change anything, but just topped off the oil. I stopped while I was out and picked up 6 qts of Motorcraft 5W30 and a FL400S filter.

When I took the lower cover off, I noticed some oil dripping from the filter, and more splashed around on the cooling fan assembly. The filter was way too tight, and when I reinstalled the lower cover, I found all of the little red plastic inserts to be stripped. Nice...

Well, on a good note, after filling the car with 5W30, the oil gauge registers normal again.

It's a damn shame I've already replied to the follow-up survey, because the dealer really dropped the ball on this one.

I wonder how many Ecoboost engines have suffered failure, or reduced useful life due to dealer failure to pay attention?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I noticed that the reminder sticker my dealer puts on the windshield says 5w-20 because most Ford's use that. But my receipts read the correct oil and I confirmed it with them on my first oil change.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Always funny to see folks desperate to turn any mention of 'OIL' into another oil (something, viscosity, brand, etc.) debate.
Keeps the mind active...

LOL
I figure that if Ford was nice enough to tell me what oil to use, the least I could do is follow their instructions. They did do all of the leg work and all, plus the time spent designing and engineering the engine based on those specs, I figure they got it right.

I've noticed the same thing in the Electronics forum. Speaker or radio, and the "expert" comes out...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
A story as old as time.

If you want an oil change done at a Ford dealership, there's one way to make sure it gets done correctly.

Buy your own oil. Buy your own filter. Bring it in and clearly tell them you want exactly 5.7 quarts used and that you'll take the remaining oil home with you.

Feel free to add in "no wash and please don't strip the aero panel".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A story as old as time.

If you want an oil change done at a Ford dealership, there's one way to make sure it gets done correctly.

Buy your own oil. Buy your own filter. Bring it in and clearly tell them you want exactly 5.7 quarts used and that you'll take the remaining oil home with you.

I didn't want my oil changed at the dealer, I HAD a $30 credit with the service department (I had to stop payment on the down payment check because they deposited a check that was supposed to be returned, and ran the replacement check electronically). The customer service lady wanted to "make it right", and turned my credit into a free oil change...

I have come to the conclusion that whatever standards once existed for employees and customer service are no longer applicable. Incompetence and ineptness are now the norm. It is accepted and embraced that you cannot put faith in professionals. This is not exclusive to the automotive world, it is prevalent in all fields that require any attention to detail and comprehension, whether instruction is written or verbal.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Always funny to see folks desperate to turn any mention of 'OIL' into another oil (something, viscosity, brand, etc.) debate.
Keeps the mind active...

LOL
many different mods and parts that require different oil stuff.
P.s.
I didn't have any desperation to make this into a different thread.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Speaking from experience working at different dealers, they unlikely changed out your oil when you brought it back. The service dept sees that as long as used a Motorcraft oil its fine and you are just an idiot customer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking from experience working at different dealers, they unlikely changed out your oil when you brought it back. The service dept sees that as long as used a Motorcraft oil its fine and you are just an idiot customer.
I'm more than inclined to agree, that's why I have five quarts of mystery oil on the shelf.

Something else that pisses me off is the grime left on my pedals. I guess the floor in their shop doesn't get cleaned often, so it gets on the techs shoes. The same thing happened to my Fiesta, but I didn't realize it was them. It clicked that they got that way when I went in for the latch recall when I saw the Focus pedals.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that whatever standards once existed for employees and customer service are no longer applicable. Incompetence and ineptness are now the norm. It is accepted and embraced that you cannot put faith in professionals. This is not exclusive to the automotive world, it is prevalent in all fields that require any attention to detail and comprehension, whether instruction is written or verbal.
I detest how true this statement has become.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I'm more than inclined to agree, that's why I have five quarts of mystery oil on the shelf.

Something else that pisses me off is the grime left on my pedals. I guess the floor in their shop doesn't get cleaned often, so it gets on the techs shoes. The same thing happened to my Fiesta, but I didn't realize it was them. It clicked that they got that way when I went in for the latch recall when I saw the Focus pedals.
Wont happen on my team. my apprentice left a fuse cover off and a smudge on the customers carpet near where a dead pedal would be, if it was a manual. I made sure to let my service manager and writer know we need to make it right and give the customer a complimentary detail. That crap pisses me off cause I know how "I" would feel.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

I had a dealership put a 3 inch long scratch in my paint, right above the door handle as they were trying to install a simple piece of exterior weatherstripping.

I've also gotten the oil smudges in the interior, scratches on the front of the hood and nose of the car, the stripped under-body aero panel, a broken climate control knob (which they refused to admit was broken) and my engine cover got ALL f*cked up after a 2 week stay at the dealer.

All these things were done at different dealerships too. I kept trying to find one service center that wouldn't screw up and they all kept completely blowing it.

I used to see "dealership satisfaction" scores in Consumer Reports and think... who cares if the dealership experience is nice? Well, now that I own a Ford, I understand. :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, there's a "mystery" scratch on the rear driver's side door that I believe ScratchX will take care of, and you can see where they missed the hole with the prop rod that's through the paint. SMDH, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained", well, what I've gained is a new disdain for my local dealer.

It wasn't that long ago that they forgot/lost the replacement spare key for my Fiesta. What's even better is that key was ordered to replace the one that they programmed that was DOA.

It's a shame the Toyota 86 I drove was so cramped, because had it been a little more comfortable, it would be sitting in the driveway where the Focus is.

Not exactly buyer's remorse, I knew fit and finish wouldn't be as good with the Ford, but my Fiesta was a real trooper. The only real complaint that I had, besides the obvious lack of power, was a rattling bezel on the passenger window crank, that showed up right after the latch recall too.

The Focus has a blemish on the passenger side of the dash pad that is only visible with the door open. I decided not to worry about it since it would require the service department removing and reinstalling a large amount of the interior. I could only imagine the number of rattles that would appear after that kind of repair, let alone the damage that could be done and not seen.

Right now I'm trying to find the squeak from the rear passenger side that shows up around 70 mph. Kinda hard to do while driving...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
i got 3 free oil changes from the dealer I bough the car from, so far with the first two, each time I check the level and its a qt low, at least the 2nd time I was smart enough to just take an extra qt with me...

If you want something done right, you really do need to do it yourself, literally.

·
Registered
475 Posts
So, I got a free oil change from the dealer due to some issues with my purchase, and an attempt to get good survey results.

I took the car in Saturday, and after an hour and a half, my car was "ready".

I get my receipt and keys from the cashier, hop in the car, and off I go. While I'm sitting at the red-light, I glance over the receipt, and I notice 5qts 5W20...

So, I do a quick three point turn, and head back to the dealer. I walked back into the service department, receipt in hand, and ask the service advisor if they put 5W20 in my car. He replied, "Probably so", at which point I fought back the urge to tell him how I really felt, and said to him, "It's a turbo, it takes 5W30". He looks at me funny, walks out to the car, pops the hood, and looks at the oil cap. At this point he's shaking his head and mumbling. He gets the keys from me, and tells me "They'll have to swap it out".

Well, several minutes later, he brings me my keys and original receipt, and lets me know I'm good to go.

Once I go on the interstate, I noticed the oil pressure wasn't running straight up and down at highway speed any more...

So, to be safe, I pull off, wait a minute and check the oil level. All looks good there, so at least they got that part right.

At this point, I figure they didn't change anything, but just topped off the oil. I stopped while I was out and picked up 6 qts of Motorcraft 5W30 and a FL400S filter.

When I took the lower cover off, I noticed some oil dripping from the filter, and more splashed around on the cooling fan assembly. The filter was way too tight, and when I reinstalled the lower cover, I found all of the little red plastic inserts to be stripped. Nice...

Well, on a good note, after filling the car with 5W30, the oil gauge registers normal again.

It's a damn shame I've already replied to the follow-up survey, because the dealer really dropped the ball on this one.

I wonder how many Ecoboost engines have suffered failure, or reduced useful life due to dealer failure to pay attention?
This is exactly why I try and do all my own maintenance! People just don't give a rats ass about anything.

Just think about it, the same kind of people work in hospitals :shocked: No offence to you hospital workers, I know it's not all of you. :wink:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It's a shame the Toyota 86 I drove was so cramped, because had it been a little more comfortable, it would be sitting in the driveway where the Focus is.
I passed on the 86 because of the engine (though struggling to fit a hockey bag in the trunk was a pretty big negative too).

That said, if things go south with my ST again and I need to hastily dump it... a used FRS/BRZ is probably what I'll end up with.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
A story as old as time.

Doesn't always work.

On my old Integra I left my oil and filter in the back seat. The repair order said in big bold letters "USE CUSTOMER-PROVIDED OIL IN BACK SEAT". When I went to pick up the car, all my oil was in still in the back seat.

Worse, I had been using synthetic and they put in dino oil, so I complained and they agreed to replace the oil and filter with my oil right there and then, and then do another oil change with synthetic at their cost 500 miles later.

Mistakes happen; we are human after all. People who own up to their mistakes and make it right earn my respect and repeat business.

Best regards to all,
Mark

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Doesn't always work.

On my old Integra I left my oil and filter in the back seat. The repair order said in big bold letters "USE CUSTOMER-PROVIDED OIL IN BACK SEAT". When I went to pick up the car, all my oil was in still in the back seat.

Worse, I had been using synthetic and they put in dino oil, so I complained and they agreed to replace the oil and filter with my oil right there and then, and then do another oil change with synthetic at their cost 500 miles later.

Mistakes happen; we are human after all. People who own up to their mistakes and make it right earn my respect and repeat business.

Best regards to all,
Mark
Front seat ;)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Yeah, right away I was wondering if you noticed the 2nd issue when you said they only put 5 quarts in considering it takes 5.7-6qts. So that's also to blame. So often they fill our cars to SE Focus spec. Smh.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts