Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I was in for my scheduled 15k. Well it was rainy and ashy, so this evening while cleaning my car up nice and proper, I wanted to remove the wheels to clean inside the wheel wells (yes I am a glutton for punishment)

Lo-and behold all 20 lug nuts are nice and proper out of shape. My socket which has always fit perfectly required significant 'persuasion' to fit. To make matters worse, I have an old school torque wrench I use to see how tight stuff was when I go to remove it. I had to apply well in excess of 200lb/ft to break the lugs loose.

I am quite livid at the appalling workmanship of my dealership. But I have no desire to go in kicking and screaming, so I have come with a question.

Am I out of line to be requesting all 20 of my lug nuts AND wheel studs be replaced at no cost?

The dealership in question is AV-Ford

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do you have aftermarket lug nuts or factory lugs? How old is your "old school" torque wrench and could it be out of calibration?

Considering it's been a few weeks, it may be difficult to expect the service manager to offer much in the way of any compensation. I would start by asking what their method is for torquing down wheels. Do they just use an impact gun or one with torque sticks or a limiter? Do they use a regular torque wrench? I'd mention that your wheels were very difficult to remove and you are concerned that components may have been damaged and weakened. Ask the service manager how they can reassure you that there are no safety issues with the lugs or the studs. If he doesn't have satisfactory answers to those questions, then I'd suggest to him that it sounds reasonable for them to replace the studs and lugs if he can't ensure that they were not weakened due to being overly stressed. Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction. Good luck!

Reactions: trtrav

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have aftermarket lug nuts or factory lugs? How old is your "old school" torque wrench and could it be out of calibration?
Fantastic question, I checked calibration on it just 3 months ago and it was within 7lb/ft tolerance. While my dial in torque wrench was within 1lb/ft

I use my old torque wrench to remove items because it is one of the pendulum style, it peaks at 200lb/ft.

The lug nuts, and wheels are OEM (though the wheels are powdercoated).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I work at a dealership in fontana and unfortunately the lug nuts with the vanity caps just get messed up after a while.maybe try on your next service if they don't mention anything to you before the service or during mention it after and see if they will replace them but those will eventually get warped.if you can i would recommend just getting after market lug nuts. I ordered some as soon as i got my car because of these issues. They always get messed up especially if your lug nuts are hot when they take them off

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work at a dealership in fontana and unfortunately the lug nuts with the vanity caps just get messed up after a while.maybe try on your next service if they don't mention anything to you before the service or during mention it after and see if they will replace them but those will eventually get warped.if you can i would recommend just getting after market lug nuts. I ordered some as soon as i got my car because of these issues. They always get messed up especially if your lug nuts are hot when they take them off
They were pristine prior to the rotation AV-Ford did. I personally rotate the tires every 3 months. I can assure you that they were not warping under proper hand tool use. The socket would slip on and bottom out with ease, up till this service.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Classic case of impact wrench use without a torque bar. The overtorque is what kills the caps, not proper use. Same thing happened to my wife's Mustang's capped lugnuts. They were old enough I just bought some good stainless ones from Summit I think.

Go get em. That's ridiculous. Had you been on the side of the road with a flat, NO WAY IN HELL would you be able to get those nuts loose with the space saver collapsible wrench.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would use the opportunity to buy new lug nuts. Yes the dealer screwed up. If they are any good they should replace the nuts. However, the factory nuts just have the chrome caps stuck on. They are known to warp and even break off. They become significantly more difficult to remove when this happens. It is a frequent enough issue with this type of nut that I immediately replaced mine when I bought the car. Once you deal with one losing a cap, it is not worth the money it costs to buy a better nut to rely on them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything.

Dealer is responsible and should make it right.

The cost of a set of lug nuts and hubs might serve as a reminder to train technicians properly.

Go scorched Earth.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The Ford lug nuts are indeed trash.

Ford service is also trash and I have no doubt that they hastened the destruction of your nuts (heh).

I believe they owe you a new set, but do you really want another set of these?

If it we're me, I'd spend $40 and get a set of Gorilla lug nuts or whatever and never visit that dealership again. But this is coming from someone who has had plenty of angry moments with Ford service and now sees it as a tremendous waste of time and energy.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DSC_3904_108.JPG
This is the avg condition, some are worse, some are better, 15 of them require a hammer to get the socket on fully.

·
Administrator
11,884 Posts
View attachment 272978
This is the avg condition, some are worse, some are better, 15 of them require a hammer to get the socket on fully.
Yeah, you got screwed.

The factory lugnuts have a Stainless Steel outer, which lasts, but is not impact friendly. The dealership should know better, you should get new lugs.

Another reason I have never been dealer serviced, and overall have zero faith in the auto repair industry.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As expected, service and parts dept were closed for labor day. The salesman was sympathetic to my plight, but sympathy is not in any manner helpful.

I do not have the time to make it to the dealership during their normal hours of operation. I have purchased replacement lugs Dorman 611-303, and I will be going in at my convenience to get them to reimburse me, and cancel my service plan. I expect them to whine, I expect them to not be helpful now. But I will never again take my vehicle back.

I should have known better when they over filled the oil on my very first service.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never had a problem with this style of lug. The 20 on my Crown Victoria were all flawless after 300k+ miles and many, many dismounts. Though I always did it myself, this is the first time I've allowed another to dismount my wheels, and it may well be the last. (I don't even let tireshops take the wheels off. I've always just brought them wheels :) )

But something to consider, maybe I'll grab one of those spiffy looking sets from some place like Mishimoto.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
The tech probably used a sae socket on his impact. Yes I would complain. even if your torque wrench isnt calibrated, there is a big difference in feel between 200 ft lbs and the spec 100 ft lbs. It shouldnt require too much force to remove the lugnuts. They need to not only replace the lugnuts, but check and replace any damaged studs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts