Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a DIY guy as much as possible. Having bought my ST new this year I thought it good for warranty's sake to have the dealer do it for awhile.
I called first and was quoted 118.00 for full syn which is far more than I would have thought. I was guessing it would have been ~$65. He said for regular oil it's 50 bucks for the service...

I believe I'll take my chances and continue to be a DIYer. I have the motorcraft filter and 6 quarts of Mobil 1 already purchased.

Been a long time since I purchased a new car. Oil change prices sure have skyrocketed!!

What do those of you with factory warranty do? Dealer or other?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I've always been a DIY guy as much as possible. Having bought my ST new this year I thought it good for warranty's sake to have the dealer do it for awhile.
I called first and was quoted 118.00 for full syn which is far more than I would have thought. I was guessing it would have been ~$65. He said for regular oil it's 50 bucks for the service...

I believe I'll take my chances and continue to be a DIYer. I have the motorcraft filter and 6 quarts of Mobil 1 already purchased.

Been a long time since I purchased a new car. Oil change prices sure have skyrocketed!!

What do those of you with factory warranty do? Dealer or other?
That's just stupid. I just ordered a 6qt box of Mobil 1 (top line stuff) for $27 on Amazon and a filter for like 5...they are full of sh!t.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called another dealer and was quoted 40 for blend and around 60 for full syn and either way it also includes tire rotation.
Think I've found my new dealer.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I know a really honest reputable mechanic. Me and my family has done enough business with him that we are almost friends. When I bought my Focus ST I had him do the first oil change. He used Amsoil by I think 1 quart bottles. He was surprised to find himself needing something like 5 bottles. Turned out to be $19.99 per bottle. When he ran up the invoice he waived the labour part, which was really nice of him, he owns the shop so he could do that. Anyway by time taxes and everything added on I still paid around $110 CAD.

Second oil change I went to the dealer I bought the car from. I politely asked them to ensure synthetic was used & no window sticker. They met both those requests & total cost was $70 without the guilt of somebody waiving their labour charge.

Third time I bought a large bottle and small one of royal purple on sale for $40 bucks total, plus oil filter was another $10. Still cost me $50 to do it on my own.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
198 Posts
that seems to be the standard, I took mine to a ford dealer and they said around the same price for blend...labor cost at dealers can be ridiculous sometimes. Went to a firestone, they did the oil change, emptied my catch can (and re secured it i only had like 1 screw holding on to the plastic from the previous owner) and they did a state inspection for like 120$

·
Registered
116 Posts
Recommend finding a good ASCE certified local mechanic that you can trust. I've had nothing but a history of disappointment in dealing with dealerships. One scratched up my tint and refused to reimburse me for it. Another misdiagnosed a manifold gasket leak as "something internal in the engine" and quoted me $3k to replace an LT1 V8. $118 is closer to what I'd pay for a synthetic oil & filter change on my BMW 328i at 6.5 quarts.

Keep the receipts in case you are challenged.

·
Registered
53 Posts
DIY, my wife's damn Subaru Outback oil change is $80 at the stealerships

·
Registered
79 Posts
i let my dealer change the oil in my Tundra because the first 5 were free. but, there was this one time where they didnt tighten the lug nuts down after a rotation and my front right wheel flew off while they were driving it in front of the shop. apparently ford doesnt do the free oil changes? fine with me though, it was super easy to do, and i like knowing exactly what oil is going in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My local dealers (two of them) have charged me between 32-40 USD for a standard syn-blend oil change, and quoted ~60-70 for full synthetic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts