Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a couple pulls in 3rd before it got too hot this morning and 2-4 were in good shape, but cylinder 1 had some knock events so it pulled timing down a bit. I checked the plug once it cooled down some and it was .028" vs the others which were .026". The plug looked fine and only has about 600 miles on it.

Boost pressure looked good, even with it being at 5200' elevation.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Run1

Run2

ETA:. This is revision 2 of a jst custom tune. WGA is tightened up, fwiw.

Here's the virtual dyno from one of the original versions plus today's 2 runs. As you can see, run 2 was worse thanks to the timing that got pulled. :( Wondering how much the thinner air and 91 octane are hurting the power production in this car?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Nevermind... figured out the A/F ratio and Boost stuff...

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I had to run to Walmart this morning for some syrup (can't have pancakes without it) and on the way home was able to stomp it in 3rd for a couple seconds. I saw the corrections go to +2.60 across the board, so I'm betting either the plug gap was funky yesterday or it was the hard plastic line smacking against the timing belt cover causing false knock on cylinder 1.

Wish I could go out again and do a pull this morning, but the smoke is so bad here it's killing my breathing. Spent all night coughing and don't want a repeat of that today.

Reactions: dan's st

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did another 2 runs this morning, and while cylinder 1 was still lower than the other 3, it pegged out at 4.40 (while the others were 5.00). Will update with the logs/graph when I get home tonight. Seems like something was just weird with that first set of logs.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got 2 runs this morning, but one had some bad data in it (probably the road screwing it up). Here is the good run compared to the original tune (and I added in the best one from Saturday morning). I was still having some knock events with this log, too.

FWIW, the air quality right now in my area is horrible. Tons of smoke, visibility is down to about 5 miles (from our normal 100+ miles), and while I know it's affecting my lungs, I'm not sure how the particulate will affect the motor.

0824-log

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did another couple runs with revision 3 on Saturday and today, and I'm having some negative corrections just at the beginning of the pull that is affecting timing in cylinder 1 worse than the others... This morning, for example, had a -.85 hit right at the beginning of the run on cylinder 1, so it only topped out at +2.4 while the other 3 cylinders hit +4.86. I loaded up my log from Saturday in vdyno to compare against the good run from 8/24 and it's back to making about 10 less hp (down to 245 again) thanks to negative cylinder corrections at the beginning of the run. I expect the info from this morning's run to be similar, even though the temps were GREAT this morning (49). So... as it is now, revision 2 was making more power than revision 3 thanks to cylinder 1 being stupid. It's only one knock event, also, from what I can tell.

Any suggestions to track down possibly false knock on that hole?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got revision 3 last week and finally got a chance to do some pulls. Saturday's had a negative correction right off the bat which didn't do it any good, but this morning's seems to have been ok. Sent Brian an email about seeing some negatives at low rpm on cylinder 1 which hurt the overall timing advance on Cylinder 1, and he had some questions for me on it. I ended up sending him a couple 3rd gear full pulls as well as a couple partials (low--> mid rpms), so hopefully I hear something back from him in the next day or so.

Here's a comparison pic of revisions 1-3. Definitely making more power on revision 3 when the correction doesn't hit right off the bat. I'll upload the datalogs shortly once I save them to dropbox.

Reactions: Blackula

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I'm up to revision 5 because 4 had WAY too many negatives (-3.68 on one cylinder and -2.X's on others) with the crap gas, low humidity, and high elevation I'm dealing with. Rev 5 was better than 4, for sure, but was still seeing some negatives. Took the advice to throw some E85 in the tank to bump up the octane and did so with 2.5 gallons Sunday night. That pretty much eliminated all of the negatives except for some really minor stuff (saw -.6 once), so it's definitely an octane issue.

Looking to save up and install a WMI kit next spring to help with octane requirements around here as well as keep the valves cleaner. I'll try to get another data log in the coming days, but this 91 octane fuel just sucks around here. :(

·
Super Moderator
7,186 Posts
I'd be very careful about adding that much e85 without tuning for it; depending on how much fuel was already in the tank and how much 91 you added with it, you could be at e30 or higher. I usually add 1/2 to 1 gallon to a mostly full tank when I add any at all.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I'll be more careful about it. I topped it off with 91 (that's E-10), and the pump had both E-85 and E-70 listed on it in 2 different places. Soooo... it was probably somewhere in between those numbers.

It definitely got rid of the negatives, though, and it pulls pretty hard now. I'll be down about 120 miles (or 4 or so gallons) by the time I get home, so I could go top it off with 91 to thin out the E85 a bit. My mileage didn't really take a hit with that much E85, fwiw... kinda surprised me, too.

Reactions: ddfred

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd be very careful about adding that much e85 without tuning for it; depending on how much fuel was already in the tank and how much 91 you added with it, you could be at e30 or higher. I usually add 1/2 to 1 gallon to a mostly full tank when I add any at all.
I went back and checked the ratio and as near as I can tell it's around the E25 mark with the current fuel in the tank (oops). Since I'm not having issues with it at the moment and I'm not romping on it, I'll just drive it easy until it's further down and then fill it up with 91 again. I sent info back to Brian on the negatives being almost completely gone with the E85 addition so he sent an updated tune to me. I loaded that up this morning and have it to an OAR of -1 already. Haven't thrown a lot of boost at it yet, though, since I want to wait and get the E ratio back to a somewhat normal value.

Reactions: Duece McCracken
1 - 11 of 11 Posts