Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Haven't updated the thread in a while as there haven't been a ton of major mods, but I did add a 4-point bolt-in roll bar recently. It is the unit from Watson Racing, which they made for all the RS Academy cars out in Utah. I visited their shop since it's close by and was really impressed with their facility, knowledge and craftsmanship. The main hoop mounts on the bend for the rear seat which should be a pretty strong area. Since they hadn't actually put one in an ST yet, they did the install for half price and they did a much better job than I would have fitting it and trimming the carpet. I have since taken it out over winter and then put it back in myself in the spring. It's not as easy as the Mustang version which has the bottom plates bolt in so you never have to get under the car again after the first time, but it's not too hard to take on and off. I left the rear shock tower brace in place since it wasn't really in the way. I did end up removing my rear seat bottom cushion to be able to fold the rear seats flat (they do hit the bar just before they would rest normally, but still very close to flat).
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car Family car Mid-size car Car seat cover Vehicle Car Auto part Family car

Also I had an idea to try and modify the Velossa Tech Stage 2 kit to actually run the air into the center of the rotor; however, this proved to be a losing battle. I got everything fabricated but had to use small 1.5" tubing to try and clear the suspension, endlinks, driveshaft, etc. Even with the small tubing size it still got torn up pretty quick. I used them for 1 track weekend and 1 day, and after noticing my pads were wearing really fast (Hawk DTC60s) and even getting a bit of soft pedal the third day even with Castrol SRF. I took them off, bled the fluid and it seemed better after that. I'll be putting it back to the normal stage 2 setup as soon as I get my replacement passenger side "diffuser" from VT. I had over-tightened the hose clamp and the part broke half way through a session at the end of last year. Tire Auto part Automotive tire Suspension Vehicle brake Auto part Fuel line Pipe Gas Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Brake Locking hubs Auto part Table Flange Machine Metal

To really do it properly, it seems like you need something like their stage 1 kit to scoop the air up and then have a hose connect behind all the suspension so you can run a large (2.5-3") but short hose right up to center of the rotor. I would also only use a smaller portion of the heat shield just in the area needed to mount the hose.

Reactions: SiThlord

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Dude can't wait to run grattan this year and see you out at the track. You have to show me some pointers in your neck of the woods lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Dan. Maybe you could tell us some more about your braking situation. I was going to get some stoptec rotors, hawk dct 60 pads and a stage 1 velossa duct, but now I'm not sure that would be enough of an upgrade?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey Dan. Maybe you could tell us some more about your braking situation. I was going to get some stoptec rotors, hawk dct 60 pads and a stage 1 velossa duct, but now I'm not sure that would be enough of an upgrade?
I tracked the car for a year and a half with basically that setup (OEM Ford 13.1" rotors, DTC60s, DIY Air Scoops, Motul 600 fluid) and it works pretty well. I got a great deal on the TCE Wilwood kit used so I bought it and it makes pad/rotor changes easier and the stainless lines help with pedal feel. I've been running used Pirelli slicks the last year or so and with that much grip you can brake very hard without locking up and it puts a lot of heat into everything.

Your upgrade list should be a nice option, although I had good success with just OEM Ford rotors so spending a lot more for stoptech ones might not be a big improvement. I run Centric (same company as stoptech) high carbon plain rotors with my Wilwood setup and they usually hold up well.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
do you use the Centric 13.1 focus ST rotors with your TCE Wilwood kit or the Volvo S80 rotors?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
do you use the Centric 13.1 focus ST rotors with your TCE Wilwood kit or the Volvo S80 rotors?
I use the S80 rotors since they are 28mm instead of the stock 25mm thick and that's the perfect size for the Wilwoods to use.

Dan

Reactions: NJFocusST

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Good thread. You are going full racecar, something I wish I could do. Keep it shiny side up!
Yeah, except it's also my daily driver! I've been looking at a lot of Craigslist and Racingjunk.com ads for full racecars and regretting doing so much to the ST. It's a really fun car on the track, but I've gone down the rabbit hole a little too far. It's getting to be pretty reliable though, I just did Mid-Ohio in 90+ degree heat, and I did have to run the heater on full blast but could pretty much maintain a good pace for a 20 minute session. Now that I have the rollbar, I'm looking into racing seats and real 6pt harnesses, which if I could sell the Recaro's and Quick Fit Harnesses for a good price, wouldn't be too expensive but is an even bigger compromise for the street.

A friend is building a chump car/Lemons Miata so it will be fun to try that out hopefully in a month or two.

Reactions: Lou64 and SiThlord

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah, I don't think I could get kids in and out very well with that. When were you at Mid-Ohio? I've got a couple friends with LS1-swapped Porsche 944's there last week.
Ya, no more backseat in mine, except for winter when I pull the roll bar and raise the car up to rally mode ;) I was there Monday and Tuesday with AutoInterests.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Ya, no more backseat in mine, except for winter when I pull the roll bar and raise the car up to rally mode ;) I was there Monday and Tuesday with AutoInterests.
Ok, I think they did the weekend with PCA.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well I haven't updated this thread in a while but I suppose it is time. I'm officially retiring the car after this track season and have already gotten it back to nearly bone stock since I'll be selling it in a few weeks. It was a fun car on the road and on the track, but ultimately was too much of a compromise and still struggled with brakes and engine cooling. I picked up a really nice and built up 1999 Miata as a dedicated track car and will be getting an older truck for a daily driver and tow vehicle.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Automotive tire

One last mod I hadn't shown on here was the install of Momo Supercup XL racing seats and Schroth Profi II 6 point harnesses. I used junkyard seats that I removed the seat mounts from and then adapted custom side mounts to those. I also added a sub bar and inner driver side harness mount. The seats just fit in the car, but they are about the widest seats you can buy. They ended up being really comfortable though (even better than Recaro's for me). I even did a drive to Cleveland and back for tires (2.5 hours each way) and they were great.

Vehicle Car Auto part Subcompact car Car seat
Vehicle Cart Shopping cart Metal
Windshield Glass Vehicle Car Automotive window part

Reactions: Maxx and SiThlord

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, my ST is officially gone. I ended up just trading it in to a local dealer for cash after returning to stock. It was a great dual purpose car for 3 years and I'll miss it, but I'm looking forward to a lightweight RWD track car and having a truck to haul it.

Reactions: willfromfreeport

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well I haven't updated this thread in a while but I suppose it is time. I'm officially retiring the car after this track season and have already gotten it back to nearly bone stock since I'll be selling it in a few weeks. It was a fun car on the road and on the track, but ultimately was too much of a compromise and still struggled with brakes and engine cooling. I picked up a really nice and built up 1999 Miata as a dedicated track car and will be getting an older truck for a daily driver and tow vehicle.

One last mod I hadn't shown on here was the install of Momo Supercup XL racing seats and Schroth Profi II 6 point harnesses. I used junkyard seats that I removed the seat mounts from and then adapted custom side mounts to those. I also added a sub bar and inner driver side harness mount. The seats just fit in the car, but they are about the widest seats you can buy. They ended up being really comfortable though (even better than Recaro's for me). I even did a drive to Cleveland and back for tires (2.5 hours each way) and they were great.
We think alike, my ST is for sale and its hard with no offers on the table or concrete interest, I think i will have to end up trading it in with the dealer too - then we plan to get a Base F56 Mini Cooper 4dr automatic so the Mrs can have some fun too.....and in the back of my mind is a Miata as a dedicated track car, fun to boot, cheap to maintain, and tons of after market support!

Great call - please create a thread here as you Mod the Miata - or just continue updating this journal, I am sure a lot of us here will be interested in your journey with the Miata! good luck!

Reactions: Maxx

·
Registered
407 Posts
Enjoyed the thread! A shame it's gone, but understandable. I wish i had the time/finances to do half the stuff you did to yours.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Well, my ST is officially gone. I ended up just trading it in to a local dealer for cash after returning to stock. It was a great dual purpose car for 3 years and I'll miss it, but I'm looking forward to a lightweight RWD track car and having a truck to haul it.
Dan don’t be a stranger. I’m hoping we will be at grattan together towards the end of the year or maybe Pitt Race. Your bumper looks so nice on my car.... LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
We think alike, my ST is for sale and its hard with no offers on the table or concrete interest, I think i will have to end up trading it in with the dealer too - then we plan to get a Base F56 Mini Cooper 4dr automatic so the Mrs can have some fun too.....and in the back of my mind is a Miata as a dedicated track car, fun to boot, cheap to maintain, and tons of after market support!

Great call - please create a thread here as you Mod the Miata - or just continue updating this journal, I am sure a lot of us here will be interested in your journey with the Miata! good luck!
Yeah, not a good time of year here in Michigan to sell a sporty/summer car. I had already planned on trying to sell to the dealer and sold of my winter wheel/tire set a month or so ago, so I was in a rush to get rid of it before the snow started. I got a few offers all in the same range which was at the low end of KBB trade, which was disappointing, but at the same time I beat on the thing for 3 years on the track, and I would have obviously disclosed that selling it privately so it would have probably been a hard sell.

I'm having pretty good luck selling all the performance parts as well after putting it back to stock.

Reactions: SiThlord
21 - 38 of 38 Posts