Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Installed today. Took a friend and me about 3 hours to do it. Everything is VERY tight in there. I think it probably took a lot longer than it should because 1) the color printer at work was out so I printed the instructions in black and white and 2) I only have 600 miles on my car and the hoses are new and very cold. That said, the install was pretty straightforward and the instructions were pretty good. It would have been nice if the PCV valve you have to bend to attach the hose to the can was as open as the picture in the instructions. I think a few parts were removed to take the picture, but I got it by feel and it seems to fit in well. Probably gonna cut a hole in the bellyplate to run the drain hose so I don't have to take it off to drain every time.

Like I said, the car only has 600 miles and there was already some oil on the throttle body plate, so I'm interested to see how much drains out of it when I drain it on the first of the year.

The friend that helped me just bought his catch can yesterday, so we'll be putting his on next Sunday. We'll see how much I learned.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just watched the JBR catch can install and it seems SO much simpler than the way I did it. For those of you that have installed the Damond can, would this method work? Disconnect battery, remove airbox, loosen 5 bolts holding intake manifold on, rotate it to the front of the engine, unplug PCV hose and rotate the connector to the driver's side, install catch can and run hoses, plug both hoses in, replace airbox and intake manifold. If it's this easy, I wouldn't even have to get under the car or remove the throttle body.

In theory, this sounds like it will work to me. Those of you that installed the Damond catch can already, will this work?

·
Vendor
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
You should be able to do it by removing the mani a bit to access the PCV connection. I'll see if I can do it easier this way next time I'm around a local's car.

I'm used to doing the installs from underneath, as the Mazdaspeed kits we make are installed quickest that way. In order to remove the mani on them you have to remove the intercooler, throttle body, EGR tube, fuel pump cover, power steering pump and belt, many other things, THEN you can remove the manifold.

Pulling the mani on the ST is pretty easy, so I'll look into incorporating that into the guides.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You should be able to do it by removing the mani a bit to access the PCV connection. I'll see if I can do it easier this way next time I'm around a local's car.

I'm used to doing the installs from underneath, as the Mazdaspeed kits we make are installed quickest that way. In order to remove the mani on them you have to remove the intercooler, throttle body, EGR tube, fuel pump cover, power steering pump and belt, many other things, THEN you can remove the manifold.

Pulling the mani on the ST is pretty easy, so I'll look into incorporating that into the guides.
I ordered Friday and got here today, pretty fast in my opinion. Looks nice and quality seems very good!

I tried installing another brand 2 years ago from below... No way possible for me. Hands and fingers too big and stiff with age. Gave up and hoped for the best.

So no doubt I am doing it from above this time. Seems easy enough but I am a little nervous what the intake valves are going to look like. I think I may clean with CRC before I install.

I will try to take some pics... I always seem to forget when I get dirty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll be giving it a shot from above this weekend.

The only negative thing I have to say about this catch can is it looks WAY too good to hide at the bottom of my engine bay.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ordered mine today. I am more mad at myself for waiting and waiting, contemplating and contemplating and then the 25 were gone from the group buy and I should have just pulled the trigger then. But I am glad I was able to afford it and order mine today.

Cant wait to clean my valves hahaha

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

Installed the OCC today. Super easy! Took about a hour. Pulled air filter housing, the 5 bolts out if the manifold and disconnected a few lines to allow the manifold to move, disconnected pcv lines and installed the kit. All in all probably less than a hour. Like the can location too. Pulling the manifold is a 1000 times easier than going from the bottom, don't have to touch the throttle body either.

I also used that CRC stuff on my values before I did this. Really clean except the farthest one on the passenger side, kind of looked caked up. I should have taken pictures. It had gone 32,000 miles without any catch cans.

Installed the cans because I have been getting a small amount oil through the tail pipe when I run it hard for extended periods.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Just watched the JBR catch can install and it seems SO much simpler than the way I did it. For those of you that have installed the Damond can, would this method work? Disconnect battery, remove airbox, loosen 5 bolts holding intake manifold on, rotate it to the front of the engine, unplug PCV hose and rotate the connector to the driver's side, install catch can and run hoses, plug both hoses in, replace airbox and intake manifold. If it's this easy, I wouldn't even have to get under the car or remove the throttle body.

In theory, this sounds like it will work to me. Those of you that installed the Damond catch can already, will this work?
Did it that way, had it done in about a hour...super easy!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Glad this worked out for you guys. I helped a friend install this can on his car and it was infinitely easier than doing it on mine. Probably took about an hour verses the two and a half hours it took for mine. Now I need to install the quick drain on mine and find a way to drain it without taking off the belly pan or the air box.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Glad this worked out for you guys. I helped a friend install this can on his car and it was infinitely easier than doing it on mine. Probably took about an hour verses the two and a half hours it took for mine. Now I need to install the quick drain on mine and find a way to drain it without taking off the belly pan or the air box.
I think draining it every oil change will work fine. Can is pretty big too. I cannot even see change on the dipstick between oil changes.

Best part about doing from the top you don't have to screw around with the throttle body

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think draining it every oil change will work fine. Can is pretty big too. I cannot even see change on the dipstick between oil changes.

Best part about doing from the top you don't have to screw around with the throttle body
Draining it every oil change was my plan, but I'm not sure after reading a couple people on the forum say that it's normal to be full after 1000 miles. I'm going to check it after the next time I get gas to see how full it is.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Draining it every oil change was my plan, but I'm not sure after reading a couple people on the forum say that it's normal to be full after 1000 miles. I'm going to check it after the next time I get gas to see how full it is.
I have ~2500 miles till my next change, I'll see how much comes out. I bet the can holds damn near a quart... I have never noticed serious use like a quart between changes

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts

Please and thank you! Looking to install this soon and sounds like this is the way to go. Also new to this stuff and don't want to muck anything up :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Include the torque specs for the mani 177 inch pounds... No one else seems to include that in their directions. Might also recommend a torque sequence for the mani but I couldn't find one. Will be ordering soon. Looks like an awesome product.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts