Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2015 ST1 and am getting ready to install my Dammond OCC Stage 1 in the lower mounting position. With almost 6k miles on the car I am concerned there may already be buildup on the intake valves. Would the line coming out of the OCC (not the one coming from the PCV valve location) be a good place to introduce Sea Foam to clean up the valves a bit? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I would not use any sort of treatment or cleaner like Seafoam, Redline, etc on these cars. Tons of F-150 EcoBoost guys burned out turbo seals and had other major issues from trying to run stuff through the system to clean off the intake valves. Personally, the only treatment I would ever entertain the idea of using on my car would be a walnut media blast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not use any sort of treatment or cleaner like Seafoam, Redline, etc on these cars. Tons of F-150 EcoBoost guys burned out turbo seals and had other major issues from trying to run stuff through the system to clean off the intake valves. Personally, the only treatment I would ever entertain the idea of using on my car would be a walnut media blast.
I was unaware of the turbo seals being an issue, thanks.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I would put it in the coupler just below the throttle-body if I were to introduce it while the car was running, that way it is after the turbo and gets burned up going through the engine. That would be the only easy and safe spot I can think of post-turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I would put it in the coupler just below the throttle-body if I were to introduce it while the car was running, that way it is after the turbo and gets burned up going through the engine. That would be the only easy and safe spot I can think of post-turbo.
My understanding was that the primary concern is the extra heat generated by running this stuff through the engine. The exhaust side of the turbo is the focal point of all the extra heat generated by these "cleaning" products and is where you are likely to incur damage.

·
Super Moderator
8,654 Posts
My understanding was that the primary concern is the extra heat generated by running this stuff through the engine. The exhaust side of the turbo is the focal point of all the extra heat generated by these "cleaning" products and is where you are likely to incur damage.
I guess I could sea foam the crap out of my motor, then when it's all cleared out swap to big turbo, lol.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I would say that when I run WOT with a high-flow DP or catless DP it gets hotter than running 1500 RPMs with the SeaFoam going through it. I am not advising to use it, but if the OP wants to put it in there, my suggested spot would keep it from getting into the compressor side of the turbo. OP, the method I would suggest is to take off the intake manifold and manually clean the valves. I used the SeaFoam spray for this method on my car as a cleaning agent, it worked fairly well to loosen up the gunk that was on there. YMMV of course.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Using seafoam on your ports is a bad idea.
Seafoam will remove the teflon coating our ports have on them. There are a few vendors here that claim blasting them is fine because BMW and Audi do it, but what those vendors fail to know is BMW and Audi do not coat their ports with anything. Again I would not do seafoam or anything, as I bet Ford will void your warranty if you have engine problems and they see signs.

For catch can... well it is pointless, but that is your choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts