Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intercooler is damaged and distributor offering a discount to keep and use it. What do you guys think. Would you bend it out and put it on your car for a decent discount? Would this damage hinder it's performance? Send it back for new?

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wouldn't attempt to bend it out unless you had an issue fitting it. You are likely to do more damage to it. As it stands, you have some crushed fins, which will make that small area less able to transfer heat. Considering the internal air chambers look intact, then there's really no reason to bend it out. The risk to further damage is greater than any further heat exchange you would get from that small area.

Yes, the fins are damaged in a portion of the cooler, but I doubt you would be able to detect a difference in outlet air temperature from one that's not bent. And fin damage of that type is not going to ruin your car.

An intercooler is not like a radiator (unless you are using a liquid intercooler). You don't have to worry about the thing being water tight. The biggest thing is to maintain boost pressure from the turbo. Even leaks in the internal air passages can be tolerated without performance decrease as long as the turbocharger can keep up with the intercooler leak. Some damaged fins are unlikely to cause a problem. Yes, you will lose a "little" heat transfer in that one area, but seriously you would not be able to detect a difference in outlet temperature.

The biggest problem is YOU. YOU know it's damaged, YOU will question whether or not you are getting peak performance (which is dependent on a lot of things, that are out of your control, like outside air temperature).

If the discount is big enough and you don't obsess about extracting every single oz of boost pressure from your turbo, you should be ok. BTW, once installed, road debris and bugs are going to be hitting that intercooler at highway speeds, so it will get damaged some from normal use.

But if you are really anal and it keeps haunting your thoughts, then get a new one for peace of mind. It's all about how much are you willing to spend.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Depends on the discount. I'd say **** that and send it back unless the discount was deep enough. Although that looks like a depo intercooler and he would probably give you a few discounts over different products because he's cool like that

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
Get a thin piece of flat stock and see if you can slide it through from the back and push out those fins. If you can, and it does not leak, and you are happy with the discount, use it.

·
Vendor
2,837 Posts
Hold the phone. Nobody on here should be suggesting he try to fix it without understanding that you will now own that part. As I understand it, the deal on the table is exchange for a new one or get a small refund. If you take the refund and try to fix it and damage it, that's on you. Don't try to sent it back after you attempt to fix or install.

In other words if you are concerned about its ability to perform or the look of it, then exchange it.

If you aren't concerned with its appearance or its ability to inform, then install it and take the refund.

If you ask me, I'd exchange it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Discount is for $150.

I've decided to take the discount and possibly attempt to spread the fins using a chisel to knock it back down. Very controlled and obviously very carefully. How can I detect if it leaks?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not bad, eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Not bad at all good work OP.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Personally, I'd send it back. If you're going to use it, just make sure it holds pressure and don't mess with it. That tiny area of fin squash is not going to make a big enough difference to be worried about.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I would of sent it back as well. You did a great job fixing it tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Damaged, that would have made ZERO measurable performance difference, vs unblemished. And you couldn't even see that damage when installed either.

I'm glad you fixed it, and did a stellar job at it too. At the very least you got some cash back in your pocket!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts