Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Texas folks,

Do you have a summer and winter set of tires?
If so, are your winter tires snow tires or simply all-season?

I'm currently in Columbus, OH. I have two sets; summer rubber on one set of lighter-weight rims, and then all-seasons on the stock rims. This has worked well the past 2 winters that I've owned my ST. (for those unfamiliar with the area, Columbus is in the middle of the state and it doesn't get anywhere near the amount of snow that the northern part (i.e. Cleveland) gets).

I looked at a Plano weather report: PlanoWeather.com - Yearly Temperature Summary Reports

From that, it seems that the winter months are generally in the 40-60 range. From my understanding of the temperature ranges for the summer rubber, that's low (I have experienced winter freezing temps and driving on the summer tires, once, when I bought the car and had to get it home. I will not do that). Which leads me to believe I should keep both sets of tires.

I'd be working in the Plano area, and assumedly be living in/around near there. I don't have a handle on the area/traffic/places to live yet. I'm still researching that. Any suggestions along those lines would be appreciated.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Shane

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't know if this is still relevant, but I would estimate that 90% of people don't have a second set of wheels/tires for winter. @Lottadot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @Lead_Foot thanks for replying. I did move down here. And I did keep the second set of tires/rims (for now). The other morning when it was 50, that seems low for summer tires. $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Lottadot - I didn't see your thread until today. I am originally from Michigan and have lived in Plano almost 30 years. A typical winter day in DFW is around freezing in the morning warming to about 50 in the afternoon. However that varies by plus/minus 20 degrees - so there is a lot of variation around the norm. Winters overall can vary quite a lot. For example, last winter I recall some light snow flurries one time, no accumulations ever, one brief cold snap (2 days in the teens), but basically it was warm and dry all winter. Most winters you can count on Dallas receiving a couple inches of snow 2 or perhaps 3 times. Once every few years we receive a good snow - 6 inches or more - which pretty much shuts down the city until it melts. But the biggest hazard is freezing rain. Because of geography, Dallas tends to get cold, slushy rains that then freeze overnight or when a big cold front comes through. They essentially turn the entire place into a large skating rink. The best advice when this happens is to just stay home - work from home, skip work, whatever. It isn't worth going out - too many people don't understand physics - and it will take forever if you do. I once spent 90 minutes letting the car (1989 Taurus SHO) idle to work in 1st gear on what was a 10 minute commute.

Tires. I've never switched out dedicated summer tires while living in Texas. On cold days the summer tires are noticeably less sticky and on the ST the steering feels a bit wonky. You just have to be judicious in use of the throttle and choosing cornering speeds. I haven't had the opportunity to try the ST on frozen precip, we haven't had any since I bought it in early March 2015. On previous cars with summer tires (SHO, various Mercedes AMG models) they did just fine through light snow when driven gingerly. Michelin PSS is much better in that weather than you might expect.

Fire off any questions you might have, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts