Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it something only ST owners go through? You know how it is. You are driving along on the highway and it feels like your in 5th. So you go to shift and realize you are already in 6th gear, and want to shift into the imaginary 7th gear.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I find myself wanting to grab 7th a lot, especially on the interstate portion of my commute. The ratio on the last two gears for the ST is just not optimal for cruising, though I understand I bought the car for performance, not it's touring capabilities.

I love my ST, but I do miss two things about my Audi--the interior and the gearbox. Though, the performance of the Ecoboost would likely be blunted by that Audi transmission, as it was built for comfort.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be worse... you could be in 5th and accidentally shift to 4th instead of 6th... like I did on track two weeks ago. :-(
Thats not horrible. Its abrupt and uncomfortable, but as long as you aren't at the top of 5th its no big deal. And being at the top of 5th? Well now, you are really moving.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I do this often. Probably because my exhaust drones a bit at highway speeds. Need a taller 6th. 😭

·
Registered
917 Posts
You mean to tell me there is actually no 7th gear and I've been wasting my time trying to find it?!:wink:

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You mean to tell me there is actually no 7th gear and I've been wasting my time trying to find it?!:wink:
Like Finding Dory. Finding 7th Gear.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Drives me nuts.
I came from a 2002 focus so i often catch myself cruising along in 5th completely forgetting about 6th.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drives me nuts.
I came from a 2002 focus so i often catch myself cruising along in 5th completely forgetting about 6th.
I come from Torque mountain V8's that turn 1400rpm @ 75mph. So i'm constantly looking for that next gear. Turning 3000rpm on the highway, even after 3yrs of ownership is still frustrating.

·
Registered
388 Posts
In my Veloster before the ST I had this issue... The gears in that were built so atrociously.. I might digress it probably made it worse that it was a straight pipe from the cat back but I would be in 6th and at 75 your pretty much at 4k which made it scream lol. To my surprise though my wife actually liked it, I think she's crazier than me :wink:

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
EDIT bad maths. Fixing...

The ST turns 2.72mph per 100RPM.

My GTA turns 3.81mph per 100RPM in 6th. In 5th is 2.95mph per 100MPH. So driving the ST around is like driving the GTA in 5th gear.

Because of the aggressive cam in the GTA though, I have to keep the engine above 1800rpm at all times. In fact, its not very happy there, it likes 2200rpm or more at all times. But for steady state highway cruising I can turn 1700rpm on the highway and still accelerate without downshifting or bogging the engine.

A 75mph the ST turns 2,757rpm. My GTA turns 1,968rpm in 6th.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree the RPMs seem a bit high, but my 1.6L 5 speed Miata would turn a little over 4,000RPMs cruising at an indicated 80 (speedo was a bit optimistic).
So the STs highway revs are a small improvement to me.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I agree it feels weird, but noise isn't an issue, engine vibration isn't either. In fact it seems pretty clear the engineers do not want you lugging down the highway at 2000rpm. It does not bother me much coming from a 1995 Saab where you couldn't shift upwards smoothly at any time without first reaching over 4000rpm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts