Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got leaking CV axle boots on my 2007 Focus SE. I was able to successfully remove the axle. When removing the output shaft seal from the transaxle, I gouged the aluminum in a couple places along with making one other scratch (see picture below).

What are your thoughts about using JB Weld RTV Red to seal the gouge and scratch prior to installing the new output shaft seal?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
8,081 Posts
I've got leaking CV axle boots on my 2007 Focus SE. I was able to successfully remove the axle. When removing the output shaft seal from the transaxle, I gouged the aluminum in a couple places along with making one other scratch (see picture below).

What are your thoughts about using JB Weld RTV Red to seal the gouge and scratch prior to installing the new output shaft seal?

Thanks!!
That's not at the seal, that's in the trans housing. So your seal looks good and intact. There's no sealing there, you are good to go. No worries. Unless I am misinterpreting this pic.

·
Super Moderator
8,081 Posts

Thanks!!
On second read, i'd lightly sand it down. You dont need it to be a smooth sealing surface, but carefully lower the burr and other sharp points that will damage your new seal. Just go easy, keep the debris out of the trans, use some emery cloth lightly, or go even finer off the bat. You just want to knock down the ridges to prevent seal damage, you dont need to fill it.

My bad on the replacing seal on the first bit. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Deuce!! You're a good man!!

·
Super Moderator
8,081 Posts
Thanks Deuce!! You're a good man!!
Yeah, just have to make sure the new seal can pass it without damage. I'd leave that seal in, so you dont accidently damage the real outer sealing surface while you do the little touch up to ensure a smooth seal install. Just take your time, be carefull. You are just polishing it up, not metal cutting, lol. No need to remove a ton of material. You got this.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are pictures of the seal that I extracted - resulting in the gouge marks....

·
Super Moderator
8,081 Posts
These are pictures of the seal that I extracted - resulting in the gouge marks....

NOICE!! I knew i should have popped out to the garage and looked. My seal/bearing perspective is all off. So seal out, gouged mid seal point. i'm really ****in up here, lmao.

That gouge, may seal fine if smoothed out, but a little knock down of material, brake clean, then jb and smooth out. As you originally stated, would be the real move. A knock down, seal slam may lead to leaks. Thank you for the additional pics, i was really losing my mind.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What grit(s) sandpaper would you suggest using to do the knock down work?

·
Super Moderator
8,081 Posts
What grit(s) sandpaper would you suggest using to do the knock down work?
Oh geez, I tend to be real cautious with this kind of stuff, but you will be filling and sanding down to a final surface. I'd rock something like 600, maybe finer. Just hit the high points and see if that works well with your pace, and doesnt load up the sandpaper too badly. Aluminum tends to load up fast, being soft. Its always to better to start a smidge high then go down to more coarse carefully, then to inflict too much damage off the bat. Yet again, I am the cautious type. Other people may have better ways to go about this. My methods take time and patience, but you wont go in too hard too fast, then you are ****ed. granted you are filling and sanding to a final, but you still need to keep round. So light is better.

I'm the worse online coach ever. Rofl!!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...I'm the worse online coach ever. Rofl!!
I respectfully disagree....I think you're awesome!! You've made my "kicking myself for being an idiot" night much less stressful - thanks man!!

·
Super Moderator
8,081 Posts
I respectfully disagree....I think you're awesome!! You've made my "kicking myself for being an idiot" night much less stressful - thanks man!!
You're too kind. Thanks man.

Now get out there and fix your ride, stop slacking, lmao

1 - 11 of 11 Posts