Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was installing a set of Steeda lowering springs in my 2017 Focus ST, and when I finally managed to get the driver's side strut out, it somehow ripped a hole in the CV axle boot and all the grease leaked out. Maybe I somehow hit it with the strut when I pulled it out? Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,842 Posts
So I was installing a set of Steeda lowering springs in my 2017 Focus ST, and when I finally managed to get the driver's side strut out, it somehow ripped a hole in the CV axle boot and all the grease leaked out. Maybe I somehow hit it with the strut when I pulled it out? Has this happened to anyone else?
Well that's unfortunate. Since the axle hasn't seen an road dirt/water/grit into the joint itself, you should be able to just put a new boot on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had CV boot tear on me on the passenger side. The cv axle pulled out of the socket as I was yanking it down to get the strut out. As I was reinstalling the strut for some
reason it was not going back into the perch, I later figured out that the axle itself was not lined up properly(all I had to do was turn the axle a little so it would slide back in).
I figured that out after I tore the boot, trying to force it back in(axle spline dug into it).
Replacing was a chore for me. I basically removed everything but the one bolt on the tie rod to replace my cv boot.
I heard there are simpler ways to do it, but I just wanted to make sure I had no bottlenecks getting to the axle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This happened to me, I was able to clean it and seal it up with a bike tube patch. I’m 25k miles deep it seems to be holding. This was just a tiny pinch tho, not a tear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts