1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hand Musical instrument Idiophone Bell Finger

At last, a Junits elbow anyone can buy!

For those unaware, the achilles heel with the ATP garrett big turbo kits is the manifold elbow, having two major flaws:

One being the oversized exhaust port. It leaves the smaller opening of the aluminum cylinder head exposed to superheated gases and turbulence which eventually results in the head cracking and coolant spraying out the exhaust. I believe another piece to this puzzle is the lack of support to this port face, which compounds the issue once the aluminum gets hot and soft under boost.
Bicycle part Engineering Machine Metal Gun accessory

Here is a comparison

The second issue is the EWG port. Most of us don't run an EWG. What this empty chamber does is allows gases to tumble in this area which creates a disturbance in the current of exhaust gases and hurts spool.
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine Nickel

Theres a fantastic model created by @Habriant40 on post number 693 of this thread showing these issues.

If you keep reading, there's a lot of more in-depth discussion about this between page 30 and 40 of the above thread.

@junits15 found a company selling the proper flange for this project and came up with the idea of this elbow that solved both of these issues. Unfortunately the company that made it didn't quite perfectly match it to the ATP elbow causing some fitment issues, nor were they very interested in making more . So i got ahold of our very own @michael_ST who enthusiastically took on the job and over the last 8 weeks has built a jig and produced a perfectly- fitting replacement, and is ready to make more.

Price on these IWG units is $350 plus shipping
Price on the EWG units is $450 plus shipping
PM @michael_ST and he will help you out.

p.s. Installation is easy even if the turbo is still in the car. Just support it and pop the elbow out.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting

Edit: 1/16/22 to reflect price changes due to material increase, as well as added pricing for the EWG version

·
Administrator
13,733 Posts
View attachment 398181

At last, a Junits elbow anyone can buy!

For those unaware, the achilles heel with the ATP garrett big turbo kits is the manifold elbow, having two major flaws:

One being the oversized exhaust port. It leaves the smaller opening of the aluminum cylinder head exposed to superheated gases and turbulence which eventually results in the head cracking and coolant spraying out the exhaust. I believe another piece to this puzzle is the lack of support to this port face, which compounds the issue once the aluminum gets hot and soft under boost.
View attachment 398180
Here is a comparison

The second issue is the EWG port. Most of us don't run an EWG. What this empty chamber does is allows gases to tumble in this area which creates a disturbance in the current of exhaust gases and hurts spool.
View attachment 398182

Theres a fantastic model created by @Habriant40 on post number 693 of this thread showing these issues.

If you keep reading, there's a lot of more in-depth discussion about this between page 30 and 40 of the above thread.

@junits15 found a company selling the proper flange for this project and came up with the idea of this elbow that solved both of these issues. Unfortunately the company that made it didn't quite perfectly match it to the ATP elbow causing some fitment issues, nor were they very interested in making more . So i got ahold of our very own @michael_ST who enthusiastically took on the job and over the last 8 weeks has built a jig and produced a perfectly- fitting replacement, and is ready to make more.

Price on these units is $300. PM @michael_ST and he will help you out.

@rob99rt @BattleChaser @ddfred @-whiteST3- i know you guys have shown interest.

p.s. Installation is easy even if the turbo is still in the car. Just support it and pop the elbow out.

View attachment 398183

Bungee cord? This is a tie wrap only forum, you monocle wearing rich sum'b!!

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want one. $300 shipped?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Plus shipping. I can attest (ive seen all the statements), between materials and consumables, he isnt making a lot on these. Hell, the square flange and GT turbo specific vband flange are 100 dollars for the pair on their own.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Unfortunately materials are extremely expensive these days, the stainless tubing alone ran me $60 to my door, then the argon gas, weld wire, and electricity to run my welder and other equipment. Im glad this fit up so perfectly and I hope we see some gains by using it! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this project!

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
Unfortunately materials are extremely expensive these days, the stainless tubing alone ran me $60 to my door, then the argon gas, weld wire, and electricity to run my welder and other equipment. Im glad this fit up so perfectly and I hope we see some gains by using it! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this project!
I'll be hitting you up after the first of the year...property tax bill just came today...:confused::(:cry:

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,646 Posts
I'll be hitting you up after the first of the year...property tax bill just came today...:confused::(:cry:
Property taxes suck, man... I know the feeling.

Reactions: michael_ST

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
745 Posts
Has there been any consideration/demand of an ewg version of this elbow? I'd pre-order one. @michael_ST

Reactions: michael_ST

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Bungee cord? This is a tie wrap only forum, you monocle wearing rich sum'b!!
Damn straight! Keep em in line Duece....

Also, this is frigging awesome you guys. Good work.

·
Registered
569 Posts
What's your PayPal email

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a question for my buddy who just bought the ATP G25-550... Would this be more optimal for his setup as well? He needs EWG for his turbo though...

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a question for my buddy who just bought the ATP G25-550... Would this be more optimal for his setup as well? He needs EWG for his turbo though...

Yes, because of the cylinder head protection.

As far as the optimal placement for the EWG port, I'd look at the CPE atmosphere turbo kit for reference in that matter.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Probably the best name for an exhaust elbow I've ever heard, and oh so appropriately named: The Junits elbow. Nice work @junits15 =D Definitely something that should have happened for the BT guys.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
745 Posts
Yes, because of the cylinder head protection.

As far as the optimal placement for the EWG port, I'd look at the CPE atmosphere turbo kit for reference in that matter.
@brianlovelace

This. I'm going g25 ewg too; this is still why I asked Michael about another version.

And agree with Turbo, the ewg port should be fashioned to mimic CPE... I'd pay cpe prices ;]

1 - 20 of 190 Posts