Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Focus ST (September 2013 production date), roughly 75000 miles.

Like most people I've been stuck at home for the past few months. Since we have another car, and I have a motorcycle, the Focus hasn't seen much action. It sat for about 1.5 weeks and now when I drive it, it feels like I'm driving on a washboard dirt road for the first few miles. It eventually smooths out.

I've noticed this in the winter too, after sitting for a week of vacation. This leads me to think it's the struts and not the tires, since I've felt it on both my all seasons and my winters.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I hastily posted w/o fully reading the OP’s post.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
564 Posts
The tires take a "set" when not moving for a long time - essentially they are a little out of round. When they get moving and warm up a bit they return to normal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't think that would happen after only a week and a half though. Maybe it's because the tires are a little older. They are nearing the wear bars but are still legal at around 5/32.

I checked the winter tires in the garage and they show no signs of uneven wear, cupping, etc. So maybe it is just the tires flat spotting.

I'm just making sure since I've heard the OEM struts aren't really in it for the long haul and wear out before 100k. I might just buy a replacement set of B6s to have on hand since I'm concerned they won't be available when the struts do decide to go bye bye.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wouldn't think that would happen after only a week and a half though. Maybe it's because the tires are a little older. They are nearing the wear bars but are still legal at around 5/32.

I checked the winter tires in the garage and they show no signs of uneven wear, cupping, etc. So maybe it is just the tires flat spotting.

I'm just making sure since I've heard the OEM struts aren't really in it for the long haul and wear out before 100k. I might just buy a replacement set of B6s to have on hand since I'm concerned they won't be available when the struts do decide to go bye bye.
In my experience (in particular with summer/performance rubber compounds at lower than "normal" temperatures) this happens in a matter of a few days only. Surprised me too at first, after I came back from a long weekend away when the car sat unused.

·
Super Moderator
6,651 Posts
I remember way back when, in the days of bias ply tires; they would flat spot after sitting a bit and it would feel like they were square until they got heat into them. Radial tires eliminated most of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts